Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Electrical Requirements Needed For Appliances? (For Generator)

My wife is very concerned about Irma. I am going to buy a generator today, but I am not sure what size to by. I don't think I will have much choice because everything is going very fast around here. 

I would like to be able to power three refrigerators and 1 large upright freezer. I would also like to be able to run a few lamps and a tv or two if possible.

Any idea what I need?  I know the starting power is a lot higher than the running power. I don't want to ruin my appliances. Any help is greatly appreciated.  

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I assume you are plugging in these appliances directly to the gen? 
  • DoubleEgger
    If you aren't planning on using your heavy load items like AC or electric range, you can run everything else on a 8-10kw gen with ease. I went 8 days with a Ranger8 welder back fed into my panel ( do not try that yourself- my legal disclaimer) 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Man. Your kinda asking for alot.  I would guess a  fridge would draw a least 2000 watts for start up. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • DoubleEgger
    Be sure to buy enough extension cord (or J cord) to locate the gen away from your house. CO is no joke. 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    My wife is very concerned about Irma. I am going to buy a generator today, but I am not sure what size to by. I don't think I will have much choice because everything is going very fast around here. 

I would like to be able to power three refrigerators and 1 large upright freezer. I would also like to be able to run a few lamps and a tv or two if possible.

Any idea what I need?  I know the starting power is a lot higher than the running power. I don't want to ruin my appliances. Any help is greatly appreciated.  
    Three tips:
    • Figure out how to power your cable box/internet as well.  Having online access will really help your ability to track what is going on
    • Get several long, heavy gauge extension cords.  There will be one more thing you want to plug in
    • Get several gas cans (and fill them).  Bonus points if you have a pickup, and you don't have to drive around with a bomb in your back seat.
    Best of luck with this one. 
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    You dont need enough to power all that at once if you watch how you open them.  Power a fridge 3 times a day to re-cool it.  Power a deep freeze once a day.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    texaswig said:
    Man. Your kinda asking for alot.  I would guess a  fridge would draw a least 2000 watts for start up. 
    "You're"

I am on a rampage today.

(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • I will be plugging these appliances direct into the generators via extension cords. I would like to plug up my modem as well for internet if possible. 

I think the only thing I can get locally at this point is a 5,250 running watts with 7,000 watts starting power generator. 

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    edited September 2017
    xfire_ATX said:
    You dont need enough to power all that at once if you watch how you open them.  Power a fridge 3 times a day to re-cool it.  Power a deep freeze once a day.

So I could just run 1 or two of them for a while and then switch off and plug the other 2 up? (3 fridges and 1 freezer)

• DoubleEgger
    I will be plugging these appliances direct into the generators via extension cords. I would like to plug up my modem as well for internet if possible. 

I think the only thing I can get locally at this point is a 5,250 running watts with 7,000 watts starting power generator. 
    You'll be fine with that especially cycling those fridges. 
  • I will be plugging these appliances direct into the generators via extension cords. I would like to plug up my modem as well for internet if possible. 

You'll be fine with that especially cycling those fridges. 
    Thanks.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,659
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    If you want to get technical.... (Amps x voltage)/1000 = kVa. Considering a .8 power factor, you basically want to use the same kW gen as your determined kVa load. (If you determine your kVa to be 8 then you want to buy 8kW gen) 
  • Do you have a Costco locally?  I picked up a champion dual fuel 7000w/9000w with electric start a few months ago for about $600.  Sold my 5000w Briggs and Stratton.

The 5000W one was enough to run two refrigerators, a deep freeze, 5hp well pump, lights, furnace fan, etc.  I back feed it into a 200 amp box via a 220V outlet that used to be for a hot tub, then jumper it two the other 200 amp box via 220V outlets.

Neither have enough juice to run my geothermal, but I can burn charcoal in the wood stove to heat the house.  Everything else will run with the exception of the electric dryer & water heater.....never tried the oven.  I turn off the aerator for the septic and a bunch of other little stuff.

Try to get something that you can drain the carburetor.  Otherwise--even if you run it dry--that couple drops of ethanol in there is enough to make a spec on the jet.  On my old one, I have to take the carb off each time after I used it, or run AVGAS the last few minutes to clean it out.  Otherwise, I wouldn't get it started the next time.  New one has a carburetor drain tube just like my pressure washer.

• texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    @20stone haha your right. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • DoubleEgger
    20stone said:
    texaswig said:
    "You're"

I am on a rampage today.

Considering you're (sic) sweat equity with OBR, we'll give you a pass today. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited September 2017
    Just like an egg. Buy largest you can feasibly afford. We have a 15kW LP Carrier/Generac automatic standby generator w/ a 250gal tank. It's better to be ready than not. Truth be told I was looking real hard at the 40kW. This powers ALL of our refrigeration, lights, AC. Only things not powered are the oven and clothes dryer. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • @johnkitchens

Here's a pretty good chart that you can see what you want to run as to what size generator you want to purchase.  

------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    We have a 13 KW standby.  Runs the entire house including the 5ton central AC.   It does not run the shop, I just run some extension cords out there or fire up a small generator if I'm working.

If you have a central AC on your generator, buy a super capacitor to help it start.
    Ours runs off natural gas.
  • Here's my setup for SHTF and my Genny.....  I will alternate the fridges and the deep freezer using a thermo probe from my igrill into each appliance so I can monitor each device's temps.  I try to keep the big freezer at at-least 32 to keep stuff frozen and each fridge at 45 max.  I also have the ability to run the house fan from the AC unit off the genny as well with a direct plug-in backup.  I will not run my AC unit on the genny since the amp draw for start-up is crazy high for this new multi-stage compressor.  I'll run some walmart box fans.  I have the ability to run solar panels once the clouds clear to power fans and LED lights.

Do not, as @doubleegger said, do what people on youtube do and backfeed your panel - you can kill the lineman working down the street doing stuff like that!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,659
    edited September 2017
    natural gas or propane is the only way to go with a home generator
    fukahwee maine

• Yes, eventually get the whole house natural gas unit, but they have been areas where that was a utility that was damages and shut off as well.  I'll keep my portable that runs on gas with a carb conversion to also run on natural gas.

Dream: a diesel Onan Genny from military surplus - those things will run forever if you treat them right and diesel can store for a long time!

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Just like an egg. Buy largest you can feasibly afford. We have a 15kW LP Carrier/Generac automatic standby generator w/ a 250gal tank. It's better to be ready than not. Truth be told I was looking real hard at the 40kW. This powers ALL of our refrigeration, lights, AC. Only things not powered are the oven and clothes dryer. 
    I was thinking about getting a PTO generator for my tractor, but those are actually quite a bit cheaper and have better control of the voltage and frequency.  I read you have to be careful with PTO generators and household electronics--they're more for industrial equipment which make sense.  Plus, my tractor doesn't have a low RPM gear for the PTO when parked, so it would be loud and smelly.  Thinking about the standby generator route and LP tank!!
  • DoubleEgger
    Here's a transfer switch setup for portable gens. Haven't really looked at it yet. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102

Yes, eventually get the whole house natural gas unit, but they have been areas where that was a utility that was damages and shut off as well.  I'll keep my portable that runs on gas with a carb conversion to also run on natural gas.

Dream: a diesel Onan Genny from military surplus - those things will run forever if you treat them right and diesel can store for a long time!

Our natural gas service never failed during Katrina.  Part of that is where we live.  I do have a couple gasoline generators as a backup.
    mine would need to run on propane, never lived in a house without big propane tanks in the yard til my last camp, there will be propane there some day, sick of burning up electric stoves
    fukahwee maine

• Yes, eventually get the whole house natural gas unit, but they have been areas where that was a utility that was damages and shut off as well.  I'll keep my portable that runs on gas with a carb conversion to also run on natural gas.

Our natural gas service never failed during Katrina.  Part of that is where we live.  I do have a couple gasoline generators as a backup.

I lost natural gas in Gulfport during that ****!!!  Still will have a whole-house natural-gas genny set up at my next house with a gas one as a backup!

• If what you get is that 5200 watt generator you will be able to keep all of your fridges and the freezer charged up, just not all at the same time. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in, but it is my understanding that fridges, freezers, window units, etc. draw twice the wattage at startup than after, unlike say a 100 watt bulb that draws 100 at startup and the same after. If whatever generator you get can handle two items at once, start up the one drawing the higher wattage first.
    Once all this is over you may want to convert if from gasoline to natural gas, if you house is not all electric. You won't have to store several bombs before the storm, and hunt for gas after. 
    Good luck to you and everyone in the path.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    natural gas or propane is the only way to go with a home generator
    I disagree. I bought a military surplus diesel powered generator in an acoustic sound enclosure. Plumbed into the home heating oil tank in the basement - 225 gallons of fuel on standby. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT.