Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Komado Joe Hinge

Does anyone know if the new Komado joe hinge system will fit the large or extra large BGE?

Comments

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    I saw the new hinge at the KJ roadshow at Costco. I did not look if it could be fitted to the BGE. But I did notice that the front latch is pretty much required when using it. With their new gasket and the hinge, you can't close it all the way without latching it shut. The hinge was a nice feature and would be nice if it does fit the BGE.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Throws off all table measurements

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Toxarch said:
    ... I did notice that the front latch is pretty much required when using it. With their new gasket and the hinge, you can't close it all the way without latching it shut. The hinge was a nice feature and would be nice if it does fit the BGE.
    Oh, that's annoying then.
    I mean, I like the idea of a secure latch closure (often I'll get some breathing until everything heats up) but I'd hate to be latching/unlatching every time I wanted to check a cook.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    KiterTodd said:
    Toxarch said:
    ... I did notice that the front latch is pretty much required when using it. With their new gasket and the hinge, you can't close it all the way without latching it shut. The hinge was a nice feature and would be nice if it does fit the BGE.
    I mean, I like the idea of a secure latch closure (often I'll get some breathing until everything heats up) but I'd hate to be latching/unlatching every time I wanted to check a cook.
    It takes all of 0.5 seconds to deal with the latch.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• KiterTodd said:
    Toxarch said:
    I can't believe those Kamado Joe engineers.  Why wouldn't they have designed the new Kamado Joe hinge to work on a BGE?  Annoying!  

I have an idea......go buy a Kamado Joe.  :anguished:
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    KiterTodd said:
    Toxarch said:
    That was my first thought but it is a one handed operation. It latches automatically when closed and you just press with your thumb to release. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• drumdudeguy
    drumdudeguy Posts: 165
    edited September 2017

The KJ hinge won't fit BGE but this year BGE does have a new hinge for the Large Egg that is similar to the XL BGE hinge. Much nicer.

Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • I'm not knocking it, but what makes it so much better?  The old BGE was fine, the new one is better, what's the appeal of being able to lift it with the force of one finger and then have to latch it.  I get that it only takes millisecond to open the latch (I've used it), but the weight of the dome keeps the BGE closed.  The new hinges and spring setup make it a constant weight to open--I haven't used a fish scale, but it's not nearly heavy any more, nor does it change as you lift it.  The Big Joe used to be REALLY heavy, so I get why they upgraded that.  Again, buy what you want, but I don't really see the appeal of mix-matching things unless it's an improvement.  It's like buying a BBQ Guru fan for a FlameBoss.....yeah, you can do it, but why waste $100 on something that doesn't improve anything (and actually screws with the system a little on that).  To each his own.
  • Toxarch
    You mean like dropping a Chevy 350 into an old Ford Coupe street rod? Or maybe like getting a Joetisserie and using it on a Large BGE? Or maybe buying a CGS Adjustable Rig Combo instead of the BGE Plate Setter and... oh yeah, they don't offer a multilevel grate. Because sometimes one single brand doesn't have all the "best" equipment for your needs or your budget. The new KJ hinge is a better hinge than the old BGE hinge. I haven't seen the new BGE hinge but from pics, it does not appear to be better than the KJ hinge. Only reason to only want everything from only one company is if you are brand loyal or a brand snob. I love my BGE but I'm not afraid to say that there are other products with better features.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Image result for eating popcorn gif
    You're gonna run out of popcorn before the bulk of the folks show up to play.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Toxarch
    More popcorn?

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Just buy a Weber if raising/lowering/latching the dome is an issue. No bands, no hinges, instant on and off. Use your favorite lump.
    It also is capable of adding aftermarket items.
    Amazing what you can do.

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Toxarch said:
    You mean like dropping a Chevy 350 into an old Ford Coupe street rod? Or maybe like getting a Joetisserie and using it on a Large BGE? Or maybe buying a CGS Adjustable Rig Combo instead of the BGE Plate Setter and... oh yeah, they don't offer a multilevel grate. Because sometimes one single brand doesn't have all the "best" equipment for your needs or your budget. The new KJ hinge is a better hinge than the old BGE hinge. I haven't seen the new BGE hinge but from pics, it does not appear to be better than the KJ hinge. Only reason to only want everything from only one company is if you are brand loyal or a brand snob. I love my BGE but I'm not afraid to say that there are other products with better features.

It's not a brand loyalty thing......I own, use, & sell Smokeware, CGS, FlameBoss, GrillGrates, Kick Ash Baskets.  I used to manufacturer replacement fire grates to IMPROVE the performance of the BGE.  I have a KJ soapstone and plan on carrying them in the store if they're good.  All of which, and including what you mentioned above, are all improvements or something useful to someone over the current design.

All I asked was what about this new "air-weight" hinge makes it so much better to spend the extra money on it over the current design.  They raised the price $200 on the unit saying it was because they spend something like a "half million" designing the new hinge and it's more expensive.  Ok, but is that really a return on value????  It's different, innovative, etc, but is it an IMPROVEMENT.  Over there existing hinge YES, but over the BGE MkII hinge?  Not to me--and I've used both--I don't think one is necessarily better than the other, nor would I spend more on one than the other.  When you try both, let us know your thoughts on which is better and why.

BTW, BGE does make multilevel grates......four different/styles models.  Not a fan of them, but there are some that are.

• I only asked if it would fit.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Toxarch said:

It's not a brand loyalty thing......I own, use, & sell Smokeware, CGS, FlameBoss, GrillGrates, Kick Ash Baskets.  I used to manufacturer replacement fire grates to IMPROVE the performance of the BGE.  I have a KJ soapstone and plan on carrying them in the store if they're good.  All of which, and including what you mentioned above, are all improvements or something useful to someone over the current design.

All I asked was what about this new "air-weight" hinge makes it so much better to spend the extra money on it over the current design.  They raised the price $200 on the unit saying it was because they spend something like a "half million" designing the new hinge and it's more expensive.  Ok, but is that really a return on value????  It's different, innovative, etc, but is it an IMPROVEMENT.  Over there existing hinge YES, but over the BGE MkII hinge?  Not to me--and I've used both--I don't think one is necessarily better than the other, nor would I spend more on one than the other.  When you try both, let us know your thoughts on which is better and why.

BTW, BGE does make multilevel grates......four different/styles models.  Not a fan of them, but there are some that are.

Is this "new" on all new BGE sizes? When did it go into production?
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I'm back. Now will somebody get me some popcorn¿!

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Tspud1 said:

Is this "new" on all new BGE sizes? When did it go into production?
    Med & Large got a system similar to the XL......hinges at 11 & 1 o'clock (see above pic).  Large has spring assists, medium does not.  The dome shifts back and down rather than a just lifting on an axis.  My XL is old, so I can see the difference on that, but I have yet to notice what changed recently.  The change-over happened in February, and we got our first shipments of eggs with the new bands in March.

You're more than welcome to borrow a Large if you're coming to STL any time soon.   Take it to your shop and measure away......just bring it back in one piece!!!
  • HeavyG
    Fsandy said:
    I only asked if it would fit.
    You're new here - folks here will argue over anything.

Ask which is the best lump sometime. :)

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I'm back. Now will somebody get me some popcorn¿!

Image result for popcorn eating gif jackson
    Toxarch said:

To be fair the new hinge wasn't the only improvement. And yes, I do think it is an improvement. The new hinge also prevents the dome from slamming shut if one loses their grip while closing the dome or if one opens the dome and gets hit by a blast of very hot air and reflexively let's go to pull back their arm to avoid the heat. Not a big deal or a common occurrence but I have seen that happen with a few folks over the past couple of decades.

Other improvements that contributed to the price increase were the new top vent and the multi-piece firebox. Most folks like those new features and think they are improvements. Some folks did still prefer the old daisy wheel and crack prone firebox and old hinge and were glad to be able to buy the previous models at a discount earlier this year.

The price increase might also have been part of a pricing move more in line with their costs. Their previous pricing might have been intentionally reduced in order to build up market share but now that more folks are aware of the KJ brand they feel comfortable/confident that they can charge a bit more. Is that a winning strategy? Beats me.

One other new thing that will soon be available separately is their iKamand pit controller. It's a WiFi unit where the whole thing - brains and fan - is one weatherproof unit that plugs right into the lower vent. last I heard pricing was going to be in the $150 range but it may be a bit more .

Don't know if it will also fit an Egg tho. :)

• HeavyG
    P.S. - Forgot to mention the killer new gasket on the two larger model KJ's. Some folks have also asked of those will fit an Egg. Not sure, but I think the answer was no.

• Toxarch
    Develop a shoulder problem and then tell us if the old BGE hinge is good enough. An assisted lift and close becomes a huge improvement.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• I think the airweight hinge design effort started after someone hurt their finger when the lid slammed down on it.
    Gittin' there...
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2017
    I'm not knocking it, but what makes it so much better?  The old BGE was fine, the new one is better, what's the appeal of being able to lift it with the force of one finger and then have to latch it.  I get that it only takes millisecond to open the latch (I've used it), but the weight of the dome keeps the BGE closed.  The new hinges and spring setup make it a constant weight to open--I haven't used a fish scale, but it's not nearly heavy any more, nor does it change as you lift it.  The Big Joe used to be REALLY heavy, so I get why they upgraded that.  Again, buy what you want, but I don't really see the appeal of mix-matching things unless it's an improvement.  It's like buying a BBQ Guru fan for a FlameBoss.....yeah, you can do it, but why waste $100 on something that doesn't improve anything (and actually screws with the system a little on that).  To each his own.
    I'm running a pit viper with a FB, what's the beef/rationale?  The FB fan is a step down in quality.  Come on man, just look at the two, pick them up, see how each fits in the pit.
    I have zero issues running the pit viper.  FB CS confirmed it was completely fine to do so.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• HeavyG
    Focker said:
    I'm not knocking it, but what makes it so much better?  The old BGE was fine, the new one is better, what's the appeal of being able to lift it with the force of one finger and then have to latch it.  I get that it only takes millisecond to open the latch (I've used it), but the weight of the dome keeps the BGE closed.  The new hinges and spring setup make it a constant weight to open--I haven't used a fish scale, but it's not nearly heavy any more, nor does it change as you lift it.  The Big Joe used to be REALLY heavy, so I get why they upgraded that.  Again, buy what you want, but I don't really see the appeal of mix-matching things unless it's an improvement.  It's like buying a BBQ Guru fan for a FlameBoss.....yeah, you can do it, but why waste $100 on something that doesn't improve anything (and actually screws with the system a little on that).  To each his own.
    I'm running a pit viper with a FB, what's the beef/rationale?  The FB fan is a step down in quality.  Come on man, just look at the two, pick them up, see how each fits in the pit.
    I have zero issues running the pit viper.  FB CS confirmed it was completely fine to do so.
    Almost all the pit controllers I'm aware of run DC fans. There is no intelligence in the fan it just receives voltage from the controller to do its blade spinny thing when needed. So yeah, I'd agree that if you come across a better quality fan/enclosure just wire it up to whatever controller you like.

The Fireboard thermometer folks are releasing their "smart cable" real soon that allows their thermo to also become a pit controller. They'll tell you right up front that you can use whatever fan you want. They may be selling fan/adapter combos with their cable but they aren't required if someone already has one from a previous controller or wants to roll their own.

Hey @Focker - I don't recall if I mentioned this before but on another forum there is a fellow KBQ user who is selling a couple neat mods for KBQ's. The price is reasonable but you might be able to DIY it a little cheaper. He sells them on ebay and you might find them useful - here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-Add-On-Door-Modifications-for-the-KBQ-Smoker-Barbecue-Karubecue-C-60-BBQ-Pit-/182745461556?hash=item2a8c7a7334:g:SZgAAOSw42dZHHD0

The handles are not of much use to me since mine is bolted to a table but some folks do really like how the handles make it a bit easier to move the KBQ around. I did steal his door hinge rod idea - I find it much easier to clean with the door removed. Can't use that bottom slot with the door installed but with it removed I can actually slide a shallow pan into the very bottom slot to use as a drip pan and that pan right on the bottom won't mess with the airflow so much. 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited September 2017
    Here are the guys that make the KJ hinge. They have been doing this type for years! Seen plenty on job boxes over the years.

http://www.weberknapp.com/?page_id=1573

A typical Weber Knapp Counterbalance Hinge

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd said:
    ...I mean, I like the idea of a secure latch closure (often I'll get some breathing until everything heats up) but I'd hate to be latching/unlatching every time I wanted to check a cook.
    That was my first thought but it is a one handed operation. It latches automatically when closed and you just press with your thumb to release. 
    That's good info, thanks.   I hear folks that it's only one quick thing to do, but all these little things add up and I'd just rather open the darn grill in one motion (thumb release sounds non-intrusive though).  I am usually running between the kitchen and the grill in a cook, have things in my hand, stuff on the stove, etc...

In that light, as I hinted at above my BGE lid is not air tight most of the time.  I know I can adjust it but it's just something else to do.  When everything heats up it seems to even out, but when I first throw meat on there is still usually smoke coming out the gasket.  Then all of a sudden, none.

On a related note, there is some anger in this thread! :angry:  Can't figure out why.  This is an informative post.  I like that the two companies compete with each other and that we can benefit from the KJ accessories that are compatible. Its not like BGE is coming out with anything other than rebranded accessories and spices.  And heck, if KJ made a square grill instead of a round one, we'd just be staring at that stuff and wouldn't get to try any of it.  :plus_one:

LBGE/Maryland
  • KiterTodd
    HeavyG said:

One other new thing that will soon be available separately is their iKamand pit controller. It's a WiFi unit where the whole thing - brains and fan - is one weatherproof unit that plugs right into the lower vent. last I heard pricing was going to be in the $150 range but it may be a bit more .

Don't know if it will also fit an Egg tho. :)

Okay... that thing is just plain sexy! 
    I like the simplicity of that.  Seems to fit in like part of the grill, it's weather proof, and won't look like a life support system setup next to the grill with all these wires and a waterproof box.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited September 2017
    HeavyG said:
    Focker said:
    Almost all the pit controllers I'm aware of run DC fans. There is no intelligence in the fan it just receives voltage from the controller to do its blade spinny thing when needed. So yeah, I'd agree that if you come across a better quality fan/enclosure just wire it up to whatever controller you like.

The Fireboard thermometer folks are releasing their "smart cable" real soon that allows their thermo to also become a pit controller. They'll tell you right up front that you can use whatever fan you want. They may be selling fan/adapter combos with their cable but they aren't required if someone already has one from a previous controller or wants to roll their own.

Hey @Focker - I don't recall if I mentioned this before but on another forum there is a fellow KBQ user who is selling a couple neat mods for KBQ's. The price is reasonable but you might be able to DIY it a little cheaper. He sells them on ebay and you might find them useful - here's the link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TWO-Add-On-Door-Modifications-for-the-KBQ-Smoker-Barbecue-Karubecue-C-60-BBQ-Pit-/182745461556?hash=item2a8c7a7334:g:SZgAAOSw42dZHHD0

The handles are not of much use to me since mine is bolted to a table but some folks do really like how the handles make it a bit easier to move the KBQ around. I did steal his door hinge rod idea - I find it much easier to clean with the door removed. Can't use that bottom slot with the door installed but with it removed I can actually slide a shallow pan into the very bottom slot to use as a drip pan and that pan right on the bottom won't mess with the airflow so much. 
    Thanks.
    I don't understand the issue switching fans???

Nice to see folks like Fireboard let you decide what to run.

And also folks who mod the KBQ.  I'm not sure they would help me much though.  I lift up on the door lip to wheel it around, works fine.  I spritz and never had backflow on the door?  I run a drip pan on the outside, and line the bottom with foil for the chunky stuff.  Give it a spray with the hose, paper towel to soak up the little freestanding water left under the door, then bleach wipe, and I'm good to go.  I don't take the inner sides out.  It is a pita no doubt, my only con with the kbq....cleanup.  The end product makes it worth it.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."