Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Red Cross?

Options
henapple
henapple Posts: 16,025
Right now people are probably flooding the RC with donations.. Might need to think again.

https://www.propublica.org/article/red-cross-ceo-has-been-misleading-about-donations

The charity spent $2.2 billion on the blood business, most of which went to employee wages and benefits. By contrast, the charity spent $467 million, or 14 percent of total spending, on its famous domestic disaster response programs, including the expensive Sandy relief effort.
Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,347
    Options
    I quit giving to the Red Cross and United Way decades ago.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Operation Barbecue Relief all the way!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    I just got an email from Academy (sporting goods for those that don't know) and they're collecting RC donations in store and online.  Fine print says - Academy will pass 100% of the money collected through to RC but RC will not receive your contact information. If you need a donation receipt for tax purposes, contact RC directly to donate by phone or online.  I know that would provide an administrative burden on them, especially if they're collecting $5 and $10 cash donations and I applaud their effort to do this, but I hate that I have to read fine print about donating money.
  • Legume
    Options
    I'm looking for corporate matching situations where I can, to maximize it.  If anyone knows of any, please post.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    I'm a pretty big fan of this quick and easy research tool.   The smaller outfits don't have the numbers to make it onto the rankings and I give anyway (Operation BBQ, I'm looking at you), but for the larger charities, it's nice to know that your dollars get to those in need.

https://www.charitynavigator.org/
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • DaveRichardson
    Options

My father is a Volunteer with Red Cross Disaster Services here in Atlanta.  He responds to fires and local disasters here in Atlanta.  I'll donate to the local chapter that supports the DAT - Disaster Assistance Team, but that is all.

He was asked to go to Haiti after their earthquake, but mom's cancer kept him local.  Will he consult with the big guys, yes, but he will also tell them they are idiots and doing things wrong.  They get mad at him.  He threatens to leave, but no one can manage ATL like he does; they come begging for him to return.

I'll support my church as far as donations of good go.  We have filled 1 53ft trailer so far and are 1/2 way into a second.  We have partnered with people we know in Houston directly where I believe the most good can happen.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• theyolksonyou
    Options
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    When a certain president refused to speak against a certain protest group waving red, white and black flags a couple weeks ago (to keep this non-political) the Red Cross cancelled some events at Mar a Lago, which I applauded.

But then I thought, "The Red Cross schedules events at Mar a Lago?!?"
    :angry:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited September 2017
    Options
    We gave to Jim and Tammy Faye :wink:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • henapple
    Options
    Goodwill... Take free donations and sell them. Red Cross.. Take free blood and sell it. The CEO of the RC makes over 600k. Salvation Army CEO makes around 10k and housing. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I retired after serving 20 years as an Advisory Board member of the Salvation Army. Due to my professional background I was involved heavily in the financial aspects of their operation. Consequently my "heart and money" goes to the Salvation Army for this disaster relief as well as the ongoing good they do to our community. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • henapple
    Options
    For once Ron.. And only this time I'll agree with you. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    SA is a great charity. They are one of only 2 that get annual checks from our household. 

I am surprised that SiriusXM is steering all of their fundraising to the RC. 
  • maso
    maso Posts: 240
    Options
    What little Red Cross does give out, it's only to those who qualify for FEMA help (very low income). You have to have a FEMA number to even apply for assistance. RC refused to help my family in a time of need so I refuse to give them my money now and discourage others too. Thank God for the local churches and community members! They provided way more assistance than any group I know. 

I did give to OBR as that is a much needed effort that goes very much unseen and unconsidered. 
    Large BGE in Moore, OK
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Legume said:
    I'm looking for corporate matching situations where I can, to maximize it.  If anyone knows of any, please post.
    Tomlinson s in Austin. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Legume
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    Legume said:
    Tomlinson s in Austin. 
    The pet supply store?  Can't find it on their website - do you know where I can find info?
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    maso said:
    What little Red Cross does give out, it's only to those who qualify for FEMA help (very low income). You have to have a FEMA number to even apply for assistance. RC refused to help my family in a time of need so I refuse to give them my money now and discourage others too. Thank God for the local churches and community members! They provided way more assistance than any group I know. 

I did give to OBR as that is a much needed effort that goes very much unseen and unconsidered. 
    Why do you suppose they do that?
    maso said:

Why do you suppose they do that?
    It's a mystery!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    OshKosh/Carters is donating 1 mil-worth of kid's clothing financial relief and you can donate in-store online as well.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Options
    Meaning? 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    henapple said:
    Meaning? 
    Nola's been dranking 
  • henapple
    Options
    henapple said:
    Meaning? 
    Nola's been dranking 

Always 

• DaveRichardson
    Options
    So he alcohol-blood level is in optimal range?????

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I'm just always an assh0le.
    Options
    Nola hits his stride at .12BAC 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Sorry your golf cart flooded.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I'm just always an assh0le.
    LOL - maybe, but here's my honest question for you.  When Katrina hit and NO was in such serious straits were you personally affected, or had close friends who were? Maybe you have answered that before but I don't recall...let alone know where you live in the NO vicinity. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Ron he did answer it. His Porsche tire popped a few times. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,347
    Options
    This is likely to go well.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk