Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best non-electric lighting method

Options

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Mikee said:
    I've been using the Rutland fire starters lately over the chimney stove. The Rutland's are under $2 for a box of 24 and seem identical to the BGE starters. It only takes 1/2 of a starter for the mini and small egg; probably could use a 1/2 on the large as well. The advantage of the chimney stove is that it gets the lump burning red hot and burning clean in just minutes. The big disadvantage of the chimney stove is a hot ember falling out. Not a problem on a concrete patio but a major issue on a wooden deck. The advantage of the fire starter is that the fire is contained within the egg. With a high quality lump it also is burning hot and smoke free in less than 5 minutes. Tried using a propane torch a couple of times. Had to stand there for awhile. I'd rather light a match and walk away to do something else.  
    Yeah, and for 22 bucks you buy 144 of those Rutlands and not think about starting the fire again for many years. 

Years?  My friend, 144 starters should only last 144 days.

Phoenix 
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    Options
    blasting said:
    Yeah, and for 22 bucks you buy 144 of those Rutlands and not think about starting the fire again for many years. 

Years?  My friend, 144 starters should only last 144 days.

:plus_one:
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I use a weed burner and have used cubes and a chimney in the past.  For a cabin, I'd use the starter cubes.  A box of 24 is small, lightweight, and easy to pack.  The fire stays contained in the Egg and it does not generate sparks or loose embers that could catch the place on fire. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • whta
    whta Posts: 62
    Options
    I just use 91 proof rubbing alcohol.  Get a 2 pack at Sams.  Burns off fast and clean
  • Rascal
    Rascal Posts: 3,923
    Options
    Ditto on the alkehol!!~~
  • bodski
    bodski Posts: 463
    Options
    I've had my egg 5 years in September and am only halfway through my second box of Rutlands fire starters (https://www.amazon.com/Rutland-50B-Safe-Starter-Squares/dp/B00138MO16/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504117403&sr=8-2&keywords=rutland+fire+starter+squares). You can buy 2 boxes for about $32. For what it's worth, I had a dealer tell me to never use napkin and oil because it can potentially create an off-taste. Never heard that before, but thought I'd mention it.

Cincinnati

LBGE, Weber Kettle

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I use a torch, but keep Hasty Bake gel as a backup.
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • SubVet585
    Options
    I use the chimney for lump charcoal on my XL BGE.
    Also use a MAPP torch - just hit 3 spots around the charcoal and you're off and running.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Seems like fire starters might be the best, Weber/Rutland whatever works. Then you will not be hauling propane tanks and a torch kit with you to the cabin. The chimney works very well, pick a couple of handfuls of lump that will not fall thru the chimney, crumple some newspaper and you are good to go. Like you, I tend to use an electric for most egg starts, the Weber gets a torch or chimney - depending on my mood.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I use a propane torch. It's one of those automatic trigger ignition types so I can feel like a badass. One cylinder has lasted a year. Those wax and cardboard wafers that BGE pushes leave a nasty smell and aftertaste. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    bodski said:

had a dealer tell me to never use napkin and oil because it can potentially create an off-taste

I would question any other advise this dealer may give 

Phoenix 
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options

And for $32.24 on Amazon, you can get TWO 144 packs, delivered.I found these after several forum members stated they are identical to the much more expensive (of course) BGE starters.  Love them, especially for around 11cents per use.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    whta said:
    I just use 91 proof rubbing alcohol.  Get a 2 pack at Sams.  Burns off fast and clean
    Have you noticed a quicker light of fresh lump using alcohol? (assuming you started with something else).  Alcohol burns very hot and I was wondering if there was a time savings over using the cardboard thingies, to get to "clear" smoke.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    edited August 2017
    Options

For what it's worth, I had a dealer tell me to never use napkin and oil because it can potentially create an off-taste. Never heard that before, but thought I'd mention it.
    Also for what its worth, in his first book, Myron Mixon states he always starts his fires with lighter fluid.  Granted, he rubs (<Har!) a lot of people the wrong way, but he has some hardware to back himself up.  
    I can barely taste the difference between smoking woods, much less lump; I doubt that my tastebuds could detect a difference in lighting method (granted, my tastebuds are very old and pickled).  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I used a rolled paper towel with cooking oil on it after the BGE squares ran out. Bought the Rutland fire starters on Amazon on sale and they work the same as the BGE ones. I break one in half, light the egg in 2 spots and it's ready to go in no time.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Image result for firestarter gif
    Options
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited August 2017
    Options
    scdaf said:

And for $32.24 on Amazon, you can get TWO 144 packs, delivered.I found these after several forum members stated they are identical to the much more expensive (of course) BGE starters.  Love them, especially for around 11cents per use.

I don't see a picture or link. Are they Rutland or something else?
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @The_Stache secret family recipe 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    @The_Stache secret family recipe 
    Oh... YEAH!!!

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited August 2017
    Options

Or if you're a more "I don't like sparks" hands off approach...you can always go my true route

Edit. For any "newbies" out there do not try this at home. Especially if your Mapp gas is under 1/3 full. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• bjeans
    bjeans Posts: 191
    Options
    For those of you who like the Weber starter cubes more than the BGE ones, is it just price or something else? I use the BGE ones, am happy but if I could be happier... 
    Ex LBGE owner and current BGE liker 
  • Toxarch
    Options

Or if you're a more "I don't like sparks" hands off approach...you can always go my true route

Edit. For any "newbies" out there do not try this at home. Especially if your Mapp gas is under 1/3 full. 
    Why is it different when the tank is under 1/3?
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Toxarch said:

Why is it different when the tank is under 1/3?
    I'm askeered, my MAPP torch is under 1/3 full.  Not sure I can keep cooking.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Toxarch
    Options
    If you catch the Rutland ones on sale, then you can get 144 squares for $4.98.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00138MO16/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you want to try the Rutland squares, Tractor Supply carries them and sells a small box.

I mentioned the Amazon deal to a buddy and he bought SIX boxes. At 1 square per cook, he could cook every day for over 2 years without needing more.

Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Toxarch @bgebrent I have a great balancing act with that Torch head. But when that tank starts getting low it will flip over in the coals. 

South of Nashville, TN

• sumoconnell
    Options
    Have you watched naked and afraid?  Yeah, I start it naked. Mapp
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Mikee
    Mikee Posts: 892
    Options
    Mikee said:
    I've been using the Rutland fire starters lately over the chimney stove. The Rutland's are under $2 for a box of 24 and seem identical to the BGE starters. It only takes 1/2 of a starter for the mini and small egg; probably could use a 1/2 on the large as well. The advantage of the chimney stove is that it gets the lump burning red hot and burning clean in just minutes. The big disadvantage of the chimney stove is a hot ember falling out. Not a problem on a concrete patio but a major issue on a wooden deck. The advantage of the fire starter is that the fire is contained within the egg. With a high quality lump it also is burning hot and smoke free in less than 5 minutes. Tried using a propane torch a couple of times. Had to stand there for awhile. I'd rather light a match and walk away to do something else.  
    Cost is less than $22. Break them in half and the cost is minimal. Light it up and walk away. The same goes for the chimney starter. One match and walk away. The chimney starter is the way to go if you want hot burning lump in just a few minutes. Used a chimney starter a couple of weeks ago. Went out to the Egg and the needle was at 250*. It wasn't 250* but more like 1050*. Lump was burning clean at that point.

• GatoGordo
    Options
    I usually use the Diamond fire starter sticks. I can buy them at Walmart for about $7 for 48. I break each stick in quarters so end up with 196 starters. I can start the fire with just one, or use multiple to start the fire in several locations. They go on sale at the end of season so I pick up a few boxes then.

When in a hurry, I use a Weber charcoal chimney. Pour in the lump and start it with a crumpled page of newspaper and it is usually ready in about 10 minutes.

I tried the weed burner. It might be OK if the egg is cleaned before every cook, but I just put the new lump on top of the old and light it. With this method, the weed burner spews ash over the entire BBQ island and patio. I decided that this was not for me.
    LBGE, Stoker WiFi, UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker