Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt on BGE Minimax Question

bd2leo
bd2leo Posts: 3
I'm planning to make a Kalua Pork on my Minimax this weekend.  Does anyone know how large a butt will fit on my minimax?

Comments

• I've done an 8-9 pounder with no problem.  Looks tight as hell and you might have to pull out the dome thermo a little, but it'll work.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    I've put a ten pounder on.  You may have to pull the dome thermometer, but one that size can fit for sure.  Also, be prepared to possibly have to reload the lump at some point.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    Oh, and welcome aboard!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • @JohnInCarolina beat me to it.....  I didn't look at your post count!!! 

Welcome to the fray.  We get a little wild and crazy at times, but in the end, we all are mostly good people....  Prepare to have your taste buds blown away with what you will see on here!

Happy egging, @bd2leo

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• bd2leo
    bd2leo Posts: 3
    Thank you Dave and John for welcoming me.  I'm looking forward to taking advantage of this forum. It is a great resource. Since I have both of you, I have another question. I'm also making about two dozen huli huli chicken thighs. How long can I safely store the cooked chicken thighs in my warming draw or cooler after it has been cooked?  I'd like to be done cooking before my guests arrive. 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    edited August 2017
    Welcome!! 

Largest I've done was a 6 pounder on my MM ( I have a large to handle bigger meals ).  Tried to keep the size of the butt within the size of my 10" woo ring ceramic to make sure it was truly indirect.  I would think that a 10 pounder might take some additional setup to keep it indirect for the whole cook!

A trick to keep the dome temp gauge out of the way is to push it through a wine cork...

Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• bd2leo said:
    Thank you Dave and John for welcoming me.  I'm looking forward to taking advantage of this forum. It is a great resource. Since I have both of you, I have another question. I'm also making about two dozen huli huli chicken thighs. How long can I safely store the cooked chicken thighs in my warming draw or cooler after it has been cooked?  I'd like to be done cooking before my guests arrive. 

As long as you keep them in the "Safe" temp range for chicken, you'll be fine for quite a while.  Do the butt first, foil it 2-3 times in good foil, wrap in a beach towel, and let it rest in a cooler for up to 6 hours.  You'll have plenty of time to do the thighs for immediate service.  Take the butt out of the foil, it'll still be steaming hot, and shred that sexy meteorite-looking hunk of meat in front of everyone!

• AlbertaEgger
    AlbertaEgger Posts: 1,387
    I fill the lump right up to the bottom of the PS, I have never had an issue with running out, or even close. But as mentioned above, you should still be prepared to re load depending on what your using. And for sure you will have to adjust the temp gauge depth, I like the cork idea, I usually just pull mine out most of the way and let it rest but it can be a pain in the a**.
    County of Parkland, Alberta, Canada