Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Food For Thought

Options
CTMike
CTMike Posts: 3,247
MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
Southeastern CT. 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Amen!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    yeah.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Point made very well.  We let stupid $hit get in the way.  Be a good person.  Or as my friend @hapster says, "Don't be an a$$hole".  Good words to live by.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

If the flooding gets everyone to take a break from obsessing over skin color, that would be a silver lining for sure.

Phoenix 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,946
    Options
    blasting said:

If the flooding gets everyone to take a break from obsessing over skin color, that would be a silver lining for sure.

Psst: people really aren't all that obsessed with skin color in the first place.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Point made very well.  We let stupid $hit get in the way.  Be a good person.  Or as my friend @hapster says, "Don't be an a$$hole".  Good words to live by.  
    Thank you... just ask my daughter what her number one life goal is, no matter what she grows up to be, she'll tell you the same thing. 
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    blasting said:

Psst: people really aren't all that obsessed with skin color in the first place.
    This just goes to show what a blind world you pretend to live in. Open your eyes Johnny. Hell just open your ears. 
    Snellville, GA

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I remember that part too, @hapster, and it cracks me up that that's the first thing I think of everytime you post a picture of her.  Even with a nice story about some cool father daughter activity you are doing together, I always think of that creed.  Ha!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    blasting said:

This just goes to show what a blind world you pretend to live in. Open your eyes Johnny. Hell just open your ears. 
    What an excellent illustration of how people see the world is influenced by the reflections of themselves.
    Options
    thetrim said:
    I remember that part too, @hapster, and it cracks me up that that's the first thing I think of everytime you post a picture of her.  Even with a nice story about some cool father daughter activity you are doing together, I always think of that creed.  Ha!
    LOL... she's got it down pat. We are planning a few daddy daughter dates this Labor Day weekend, the wife will be away at a family function so I'll be on dog duty while she's away. Looking forward to some good times with Scoot. Here's a recent one of her from about a week ago when school started...

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    blasting said:

You have lots of friends you feel are obsessed with skin color?  Neighbors?  Coworkers?  I don't.  I mean, what are you basing this on - what you see on television?  

The world's a pretty big place man.  You should get out and walk around in it once in awhile.  And some folks do more than hear, they listen.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    hapster said:
    thetrim said:
    LOL... she's got it down pat. We are planning a few daddy daughter dates this Labor Day weekend, the wife will be away at a family function so I'll be on dog duty while she's away. Looking forward to some good times with Scoot. Here's a recent one of her from about a week ago when school started...

I feel like I've watched her grow up on the forum.  I love her appreciation for life, tolerance and outlook. She will go far and be a positive contribution to our future. Great job!

Greensboro, NC
  • Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    What I was implying is "people" are obsessed with skin color. Did I say all people? Did I say most people? No. It doesn't matter if my neighbors, co workers or anyone else I know is. The fact of the matter is "people" are. And it's sad. I'm not going to argue with you 2. We think completely different in almost every way possible. 
    Snellville, GA

• JohnInCarolina
    edited August 2017
    Options
    What I was implying is "people" are obsessed with skin color. Did I say all people? Did I say most people? No. It doesn't matter if my neighbors, co workers or anyone else I know is. The fact of the matter is "people" are. And it's sad. I'm not going to argue with you 2. We think completely different in almost every way possible. 
    For sure there are some people who are obsessed with it.  There are also some people who believe the world is flat. It's not really worth paying attention to either batch, if you ask me, but YMMV.

If you find yourself spending a lot of time thinking about people you don't live with, live next to, are related to, or work with... well maybe give thinking completely differently a shot.  
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    edited August 2017
    Options
    blasting said:

Say what?  Wish I lived in JIC town.  Go to Jackson Mississippi and walk into a Captain D's.  Everyone stopped talking when I walked in and the server would not serve me.  Only difference?  I was caucasian.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @hapster
    As a child, I had always been in awe of the great monuments, and statues dedicated to the heroes of the cause, community, or country. I always thought it fitting for such symbols to be in existence after they have moved on, to remind us of how meaningful they were to our lives then and even today.
    I thought it sad, in a strange way, those memorialized, likely never saw their tribute.
    You sir, are a fortunate man. Your tribute is your daughter. I know you are proud of her, as she is of you. I am certain, she will represent your greatest accomplishment, and people will look at her, and know she represents a good man, and that she is from a loving family. You have a wonderful and beautiful daughter.
    You are blessed. Congratulations.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    blasting said:

Say what?  Wish I lived in JIC town.  Go to Jackson Mississippi and walk into a Captain D's.  Everyone stopped talking when I walked in and the server would not serve me.  Only difference?  I was caucasian.
    Terrible, isn't it? 

Race discrimination was codified in law from around 1875 to 1965. 
    edited August 2017
    Options
    blasting said:

Terrible, isn't it? 

Race discrimination was codified in law from around 1875 to 1965. 
    Please understand, it made me think.  I wasn't angry or anything.  At first I was confused, then the cause dawned on me.  I mostly felt sorry for those who, through the years, couldn't just walk down the block to a different restraunt.

I wasn't comparing my situation to oppression through the years.  I was just commenting on the fact that racism is alive and well.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    All discrimination is wrong and is self-perpetuating.

In any case, if it's a chain restaurant, report it.  If it's privately held, ask for the owner.  They want to make money, they want your business.
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Me thinks the buffalo saw red ... this thread is dead.
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    blasting said:

Not if you listen to the media - to hear them tell it everyone in the country is a member of BLM, KKK, Antifa, or the alt-whatever. They seem to overlook most of us simple folk who live by the golden rule. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    CTMike said:
    blasting said:

Not if you listen to the media - to hear them tell it everyone in the country is a member of BLM, KKK, Antifa, or the alt-whatever. They seem to overlook most of us simple folk who live by the golden rule. 
    I know, and my advice would be not to assign too much weight to what the media says.

I'm not suggesting that racism doesn't exist - it's definitely still very much alive.  And we all need to be vigilant.  I don't think what happened in Charlottesville should or can be easily dismissed.

But at the end of the day, I don't think your average Joe or Jane in America is "obsessed" by race.  That's all I was trying to say.  I think those photos you posted are much closer to capturing the true nature of Americans than the ones from Charlottesville. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    blasting said:

Next time you come through Durham let me know, and I'll take you to a comparable place here.  It's a big country brother.  Much more heterogeneous than folks appreciate.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Charlottesville was a conjunction of most major US racist extremist groups.   Not an every day event.