Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First try with the peach preserves on a pork butt

Thought I'd give it a try since I'm always looking for a way to improve the bark on my shoulders. Started out with an 8lbs bone-in butt this morning. Put it on raised indirect around 5:30am. 

I trimmed a bit of the fat cap.  I was using my rub which is pretty generic: salt, paprika, brown sugar, garlic, onion, chili powder and coarse pepper. Put down some yellow mustard and rubbed that on as normal. Then used the back of a spoon to slather about 3/4 a jar of Smuckers peach preserves all over it.

I placed it on fat side down and we shall see how it goes. I will post some pictures later, going back to bed for now!

Comments

• First picture is after the dry rub. Second is fully prepared with the preserves.  Egg running around 275 dome. 

• Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,011
    That looks amazing.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I really wish they had some kind of filter on forum handles around here. This could get confusing.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Sorry for hijacking your handle! I'll see if I can adjust it. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    It is the only way I do pork butts. Delicious.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    CarolinaQ said:
    Sorry for hijacking your handle! I'll see if I can adjust it. 
    As far as I know, you cannot. Hopefully, @The_Buffalo can help. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,230
    I see more @nolaegghead handles right around the corner. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Hopefully the generic picture of "guy with mustache" for my profile can help delineate for everyone here. 
  • About three hours in and looks like I'm getting a better color than I normally do at this point. Dome temp snuck up to about 290 so I closed the bottom vent down a little. 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I think the person that lives in Carolina should get to keep the name and the other should change to Connecticut Q. :smiley:

The butt is looking good so far. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• YukonRon said:
    Thanks for donating your method to the forum. I'd always come here to read little tips, but since this is such a big change in my normal routine thought I'd post about it. 
  • YukonRon
    CarolinaQ said:
    YukonRon said:
    Thanks for donating your method to the forum. I'd always come here to read little tips, but since this is such a big change in my normal routine thought I'd post about it. 
    I recommend it to everyone that will listen or read.
    Our daughter, would never eat pork for whatever reason, until I made it this way. Now she stuffs her mouth with it. Nonstop.
    Also try this: 
    For the sauce, add any left over preserves to the sauce of choice, mix well and serve warm.
    If you can, smoke the butt with peach wood chunks.
    Best food you will ever eat.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    CarolinaQ said:
    First, WELCOME to the forum!  You've got a great cook, there -- gorgeous!

:)

Second, though, surely an innocent thing, you probably didn't know that there already was a Carolina Q on the forum, but now that you know it's going to be confusing as hell, how about NOW, while you only have one discussion started, take a new name.  If you wait, you'll only have more invested in it, and then you really won't want to change it.  If you really love the name, make it Carolina Barbecue, or Eastern Carolina Q or North Carolina Q or South Carolina Q or something that has the same idea, but let's not have two people on the forum who have what looks like exactly the same name.  The picture just isn't enough to make clear it's two different people, or which of them is which.  It'd be a favor to all of us!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    edited August 2017
    I really wish they had some kind of filter on forum handles around here. This could get confusing.
    And a filter if with pictures or not. That should help. :lol:

So, is he really in fact a Carolina Q in Carolina, not Conneticut?  If he is in fact in NC, then Connecticut Q has to change his.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I am lookin forward to some cooler weather. I don't cook many butts during the hot summer months.....butt my next one will be in the style of @YukonRon.  Very nice lookin butt you have there!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Great looking cook running right there.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Theophan said:
    CarolinaQ said:
    First, WELCOME to the forum!  You've got a great cook, there -- gorgeous!

:)

Second, though, surely an innocent thing, you probably didn't know that there already was a Carolina Q on the forum, but now that you know it's going to be confusing as hell, how about NOW, while you only have one discussion started, take a new name.  If you wait, you'll only have more invested in it, and then you really won't want to change it.  If you really love the name, make it Carolina Barbecue, or Eastern Carolina Q or North Carolina Q or South Carolina Q or something that has the same idea, but let's not have two people on the forum who have what looks like exactly the same name.  The picture just isn't enough to make clear it's two different people, or which of them is which.  It'd be a favor to all of us!
    Yes, The_Buffalo has been notified and a change requested. It seems you can only have one username per email address, which of course makes sense. Since I only have one email hopefully he can make the change for me. My username can be anything under the sun as far as I care. Didn't mean to ruin so many Sunday mornings for you all. 
  • I really wish they had some kind of filter on forum handles around here. This could get confusing.

So, is he really in fact a Carolina Q in Carolina, not Conneticut?  If he is in fact in NC, then Connecticut Q has to change his.  
    I am indeed Carolina based. 
  • northGAcock
    CarolinaQ said:

I am indeed Carolina based. 
    Where you located my Cacalackie friend?

• Raleigh. Yourself?
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    CarolinaQ said:
    Raleigh. Yourself?
    Then you keep the CarolinaQ name! Lol

I'm in Thomasville,  about 1.5 hrs west of you. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • northGAcock
    CarolinaQ said:
    Raleigh. Yourself?
    Columbia. Welcome aboard. Next Sat....Go C0cks

• Connecticut Q. 

Thats good $hit Matt. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Am into the stall at 165 degrees after five hours. Hoping to be done by 3 so I can have a couple hours to rest. 

• kweitz
    kweitz Posts: 305
    Mouth is watering, and I just ate a prime rib Sammy with horseradish sauce. I'd rather be eating that!

Charles Town, West-by-God Virginia

Sazco large Casa-Q

Large BGE

• JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Looks awesome brother,,,   I'm in Charlotte....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    You're in for a treat brother CarolinaQ.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    @CarolinaQ just include liberal amounts of salt in any recipes you post and salt shakers in your pics and we'll know it's you
  • @Legume because of my salty disposition or is there something I'm missing?
  • YukonRon
    Did not mess up my Sunday. 

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky