Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Rubber Food Gloves Recommendations?

I'm looking for a heavier rubber gloves where I can pick up hot food and move them around the grill. I'd also like to use them to slide the racks in/out on the offset. Nothing more than a few seconds of heat. Do they make anything you can toss in the washing machine or dishwasher? Thanks for any tips or recommendations!
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    I just have some relatively cheap gloves like these. They can go in the dishwasher. They are not that pliable so I don't like them as much for more dexterous work, but for grabbing butts off the cooker or moving hot grids or pans they are fine. If you are looking for a little more coverage you could try something like these or these.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    I got a pair of these to use when pulling a butt apart and I really like them.

Artisan Griller Heat Resistant BBQ, Smoker, Grill, Oven and Cooking Gloves With Textured Palms, 1 pair

For things like moving the plate setter or anything else really hot, I just use a pair of leather welding gloves.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,723
    https://www.amazon.com/Artisan-Griller-Resistant-Cooking-Textured/dp/B00K1L9SAG

These are my gloves. I replace them about once a year and carry them around to competitions, charity events and tend to forget them in or on my big smoker. Basically I abuse them harder than just about anyone on the forum and they are still fine. I only replace them annually because they lose pliability if you let them get wet then leave them in the sun a few times.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I just have some relatively cheap gloves like these. They can go in the dishwasher. They are not that pliable so I don't like them as much for more dexterous work, but for grabbing butts off the cooker or moving hot grids or pans they are fine. If you are looking for a little more coverage you could try something like these or these.
    I have those same gloves.  Work fine.  Most of the time I use a large metal peel or commercial spatulas to move meat that's too large or fragile for tongs.
    Thank you @Toxarch @SmokeyPitt @OhioEgger @Thatgrimguy @ColtsFan @nolaegghead for the recommendations. Much appreciated input!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Wimp.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    bgebrent said:
    Wimp.
    Look what I did last weekend without gloves. I need gloves!!!

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Get a textured pair. I have a smooth pair and they are way too slick to handle meat properly. 
  • WeberWho
    I cooked at the Midwest Eggfest today and I forgot to pack a couple hot pads for some baking dishes that I had on the egg. My neighbor egger heard me talking to my wife about removing the dishes and jumped in with a pair of these orange silicone gloves. He says, "Go ahead and use these. If they work for you, you can keep them." What? Really? He mentioned that they didn't fit his hand right. I even told him how I was looking at the exact same pair online a few weeks earlier. 

It was some good karma on him. At the end of the Fest he ended up with one of the prizes given out!

A big thanks to Rocky at the Midwest Eggfest!

Minnesota
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    You must be blessed... you always fall into good bargains.
    Good karma for you. Enjoy..
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • WeberWho
    edited September 2017
    Durangler said:
    You must be blessed... you always fall into good bargains.
    Good karma for you. Enjoy..
    I'm more less a sucker for a good deal. They usually end up becoming a way bigger project than anticipated.

This one today came out of left field. I wasn't expecting this whatsoever. I threw the gloves on and was appreciative that he let me borrow them as I forgot my oven mitts. I figured it would be a great way to test drive them out with me looking to buy a pair. He than mentioned that they were mine. Which was really nice but I didn't feel right taking a gift from a stranger. I was more less taken back by this guy who I only met this morning would offer me his new bbq gloves. I said thanks and I appreciated the offer but I said he should keep them. He didn't like the fit and was adamant about me taking them home. I ended up leaving with them but it does seem a little crazy that I was asking about them a few weeks earlier and now they literally fall into my lap. I'm tempted to ask the forum about a million dollars and see what happens in the next few weeks!  ;) All joking aside I'll be sending him a note thanking him again. I was happy and appreciative on just the offer of borrowing me the mitts. He didn't even need to do that. People are awesome! 

Minnesota
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    @WeberWho .. Your an awesome member and have helped many here.
    You helped me with my mixer... Your deserving.
    May as well ask for the millions!
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited September 2017
    WeberWho said:
    I cooked at the Midwest Eggfest today and I forgot to pack a couple hot pads for some baking dishes that I had on the egg. My neighbor egger heard me talking to my wife about removing the dishes and jumped in with a pair of these orange silicone gloves. He says, "Go ahead and use these. If they work for you, you can keep them." What? Really? He mentioned that they didn't fit his hand right. I even told him how I was looking at the exact same pair online a few weeks earlier. 

It was some good karma on him. At the end of the Fest he ended up with one of the prizes given out!

Great story. I have a pair of those and like them very much. Excellent protection for placing a platesetter into a 400+ degree fire. I usually wash them by hand but if they are greasy due to dealing with pork butt or brisket I wash them in the dishwasher. Note that they run on the large side.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • WeberWho
    Durangler said:
    @WeberWho .. Your an awesome member and have helped many here.
    You helped me with my mixer... Your deserving.
    May as well ask for the millions!
    Your too nice Durangler! Glad to hear the mixer is still going good 

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    1voyager said:
    WeberWho said:

Great story. I have a pair of those and like them very much. Excellent protection for placing a platesetter into a 400+ degree fire. I usually wash them by hand but if they are greasy due to dealing with pork butt or brisket I wash them in the dishwasher. Note that they run on the large side.
    Thank you for the tips! Good to know

Minnesota
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Not as heat resistant as the thick silicone gloves (which I also own) and, nearly as I can tell, useless for peeling vegetables, but utterly amazing for pulling pork or beef are these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W3T9CA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope the link works.  These let you separate fat from meat and just don't slip in use.  Plus, they're CHEAP!
  • Atlas  fleece lined crab fishing gloves - $11 on Amazon; you can pull a shoulder and never feel a bit of heat.

I use 'em for setting and pulling decoys and handling hot meat.