Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Those having made hot sauce before, a little help.

northGAcock
northGAcock Posts: 15,164
edited August 2017 in EggHead Forum
Planted some cayenne peppers back in Early April. I have been harvesting peppers for several months, storing them in the freezer. Time is drawing close to making sauce. I have ordered my bottles.... and doing some research.

A couple of questions for those with more experience than I.

• I no that the sauce can sometimes turn out ticker than desired. Some thin with water, some add vinegar. Any thoughts on this or alternative thinners?
  • The basic ingredients are peppers, garlic and vinegar. What other ingratiates have you used for flavor. I have used onion....but beyond that, any other flavors bringing you joy?
  • I see a (cook / emulsion / simmer) approach, and a (cook /ferment) approach. What has been your experience with these two approaches...recommendations?

I appreciate the help in advance....would welcome any additional learning(s) and recommendations. 
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    No recipe help here but if you find you have non-sauce leftover peppers, smoke 'em down until they are ready to be ground into dry powder and you will justly rewarded.  I run this drill in late Oct with habaneros and a few hotter (provided) varieties.  It is quite a protracted effort.  Let me know if you get to that point.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    In the north woods and as such, good luck, all I got.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Tabasco and many other brands ferment the peppers with salt first.  
    lousubcap said:
    No recipe help here but if you find you have non-sauce leftover peppers, smoke 'em down until they are ready to be ground into dry powder and you will justly rewarded.  I run this drill in late Oct with habaneros and a few hotter (provided) varieties.  It is quite a protracted effort.  Let me know if you get to that point.  

Appreciate that Frank....gonna go down the Sauce trail for now. I cook with some dried green chili powder often. Would love to make my own...one day. I'll hit you up when I evolve. 

• What's your flavor profile preference for hot sauce?

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• northGAcock
    What's your flavor profile preference for hot sauce?
    A fan of Franks, Louisiana Texas Pete. I like hot but not harbonero level. Prefer flavor over nuclear. 

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    lousubcap said:

I have habs from 2 years ago and Caribbean reds from last year in the freezer - might go this route.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @JohnEggGio - shoot me a PM if you decide to go that route.  I will preface this with the fact that the BGE is a great cooker with regard to moisture.  Thus to get 'em truly dry is an easy 20-24 hours at around 200*F on the dome.  Amazing the low temperature control when it doesn't matter.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    I'll say I deviate from the standard method. I make hot sauce in an instant pot and then blend in a vitamix. Works great.  https://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-hot-sauce/
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    You can add carrots as well. Gives sweetness and background to the sauce.
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    lousubcap said:
    @JohnEggGio - shoot me a PM if you decide to go that route.  I will preface this with the fact that the BGE is a great cooker with regard to moisture.  Thus to get 'em truly dry is an easy 20-24 hours at around 200*F on the dome.  Amazing the low temperature control when it doesn't matter.  FWIW-
    Will do - thanks!!!
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • I'll dig up a really good recipe I have tomorrow. It's like Franks but I add some scotch bonnet peppers to add a little Caribbean flavor to it. Kicks the heat up from a 2 to a 3 or 4 but mostly through flavor. 

But make it outside on a single burner. It's much more punishing in aerosol form. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    ... I see a (cook / emulsion / simmer) approach, and a (cook /ferment) approach. ...
    I've never made hot sauce, but to my taste, anyway, aged/fermented hot sauces like Crystal and Tabasco are just HUGELY better than sauces made just by adding vinegar and a few other ingredients to chilis like Texas Pete.  The fermentation process gives the flavor a complexity and depth that is just lacking in the other ones.  If you don't put enough hot sauce on something to really taste it, OK, any of them can give the food a little zip.  But if you really like hot sauce, and put enough on to actually taste it, to me there's no comparison.  So if I were going to the trouble of making homemade hot sauce, I'd be fermenting the chilis, NOT just adding vinegar.
  • CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Hibby said:
    I'll say I deviate from the standard method. I make hot sauce in an instant pot and then blend in a vitamix. Works great.  https://www.hippressurecooking.com/pressure-cooker-hot-sauce/
    Nice time saver! I will use this method next time I acquire a bunch of peppers.

I like onion and carrot in hotter sauces. Carrots mellow habanaro heat and supplement the fruity flavor with some sweetness. For a cayenne based sauce a touch of garlic and some onion would ad flavors. Maybe a touch of citrus juice/zest.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1198600/home-made-hot-sauce#latest
    Did that last fall. Longer it sat in the fridge the better. Good stuff. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Former hot sauce maker here. As other have said, it all depends on what you want to achieve in the end and also what peppers you have on hand.

Cayenne peppers are great for fermenting but also do pretty well in a Frank's style of a sauce. Bring white vinegar and the peppers to a boil on stove, then remove and puree with garlic and then return to heat. You shouldn't have to thin with water at any point due to the moisture in the peppers. If anything, add salt or more vinegar and that will do it for you.

Carrots add a hint of sweetness but are best paired with your habaneros/carribean peppers (those that are also sweet). Apple cider vinegar can increase your sauces complexity as well - but don't use 100% ACV, do 1/2 and 1/2 with white vinegar or the end result will be way to sweet. 

With your harvest - I would suggest smoking 1/2 the peppers and a few heads of garlic, then do the boil and puree and then boil method and you'll achieve a very complex sauce without the need to ferment. 

But it you want to go the fermentation route without crazy salt pots - try this gizmo - https://www.amazon.com/Kraut-Source-Fermentation-Lid/dp/B01BPHHDA6 works very well with just regular mason jars. Also killer for Kimchi
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited August 2017
    Former hot sauce maker here. As other have said, it all depends on what you want to achieve in the end and also what peppers you have on hand.

But it you want to go the fermentation route without crazy salt pots - try this gizmo - https://www.amazon.com/Kraut-Source-Fermentation-Lid/dp/B01BPHHDA6 works very well with just regular mason jars. Also killer for Kimchi
    Oh this is awesome. Forget what I PM'd you about a container, Robin. Buy one of these and do it in a mason jar. That will make it a lot easier and less messy. 

Thanks @HoustonEgger Ordering one now. 

Edit. @northGAcock you could make Kool Aid pickles with that! Hahaha

South of Nashville, TN

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    I like to place the fresh hot red peppers in a quart jar, add some apple cider vinegar,little garlic powder and some fish sauce (careful) as it makes a salty flavor. Let steep for a month or so stick blend and use. lasts for long time until used up. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I have a small pressure cooker I can bring over if you want to go that route. I have never made hot sauce before.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • northGAcock
    Bottles arrived......getting closer to production.