Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Home made hot sauce

Went ahead and made a test run of hot sauce. Smoked/roasted an onion and some jalepenos at 300 for about 30 min. Threw in a few chuncks of burning barrel for smoke. Sweetest them in a bowl and then pulled the skin on most and deseeded. Mixed with water garlic lemon juice pickle juice and red wine vinegar. Haven't tried it yet, but it smells like a butthole burner. 

Large and Small BGE
Central, IL

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Its got some kick, but the heat is gone quick. Will be good to add to salsa or chili. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It's interesting how things like the terrior can favor the initial heat vs the latent, and vice versa.  That's my new favorite word so I can snoot-a-ly assign a term to what we all know, innately. 

Seriously (somewhat fermented here), looks really good.  Try the lacto-fermentation some time.  You don't lose heat vs cooking, and a nice acidity that you'll recognize.
    I will try that next time nola. I need to do something with peppers before they went bad and I dont have any kind of fermentation device. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    For the next go-round; you can smoke them down (play with your BGE at sub-200*F) until dry, then fine chop them into a chipotle power.  Use to enhance the flavor of many a rub/sauce.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    Well I started fermenting some crema to use in a queso dip last night. It will only have 1 chipotle per cup of cream though. The recipe is on food network.com and is the one by Alton Brown.