Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Moist whole chicken on the egg

Options
ImmersionFD
ImmersionFD Posts: 32
edited August 2017 in EggHead Forum

I started by stuffing basil leaves under skin covering the breast meat and added 2 lemons chopped in half inside. Then was brined for about 4 hours. In the past when I smoked a chicken after brining the skin was rubbery and almost inedible. 

This time after brining I did several things to make the skin turn out better. I dried the chicken as well as possible. Let it set for 2 hours in fridge to help the drying process. Then I added salt, pepper, and baking powder to the skin to help have crispy skin.

Smoked it on indirect heat on the egg at 350, till 165F and was done.

Notice how much mostiure was in the chicken when I carved it! One of the reason lots of people like dark chicken meat its because its higher fat content it contains more moisture. This chicken breast was so moist due to the brining and being cooked in the egg. 

No dry chicken here!

1 Large BGE & 1 Mini-Max BGE (Smokey & the Bandit) +  1 custom Challenger cart for their home. Kick Ash Basket & Igrill2, and cast iron inside for finishing reverse sears.

Comments