Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gulf Coast Shrimp: "The Best Shrimp I've Ever Had!"

Options
I've posted before about a Steve Raichlen recipe for Gulf Coast Shrimp and how it has become my #1 favorite grilled shrimp recipe.  I made it for my family at a family gathering, and my 19 y/o grandson's girlfriend proclaimed, "I think this is the best shrimp I've ever had!"  Everybody loved it.  I didn't take any pictures because we were at someone else's house and I cooked it on a gas grill, and not a very good one at that (it just never got quite as hot as I wanted it), but in case anybody's looking for a good shrimp recipe, I just wanted to pass along again that that recipe is really, really good.  The recipe is here.  Here's a picture from my previous post, cooked on my Egg, just so there's a picture.  :)

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Looks amazing...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Yeah, great pic.
  • CincyTiki
    CincyTiki Posts: 346
    Options
    Yes please
    Enjoying life in Cincinnati, Ohio - Large BGE & MiniMax BGE
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Saved.  Thanks for sharing!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Pro tip - when boiling shrimp heads/shells for stock, put them on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven first until they turn pink (about 10 minutes @ 300).  Briefly roasting the shells first gives a nice added flavor to the stock.

A chef friend showed me that ages ago, and I've never looked back.
    NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Pro tip - when boiling shrimp heads/shells for stock, put them on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven first until they turn pink (about 10 minutes @ 300).  Briefly roasting the shells first gives a nice added flavor to the stock.

We buy shrimp from the Westwego market all the time and make stock from the heads/shells.  That does elevate the flavor of the stock. 

https://c1.staticflickr.com/4/3695/10573434104_7574b21dde_b.jpg
    Options
    buzd504 said:

We buy shrimp from the Westwego market all the time and make stock from the heads/shells.  That does elevate the flavor of the stock. 

"Westwego market".  You make it sound so fancy.  We've always called it the shrimp lot.

Unfortunately, my shellfish consumption has been curtailed by my wife's recent development of an allergy to shellfish.  I'm blaming the oil spill.
    NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    buzd504 said:

"Westwego market".  You make it sound so fancy.  We've always called it the shrimp lot.

Unfortunately, my shellfish consumption has been curtailed by my wife's recent development of an allergy to shellfish.  I'm blaming the oil spill.
    Yeah, it's the opposite of fancy.  I've taken my boat down that canal and there are burned out shrimp boats, unidentifiable dead things floating in the water.  But you can't beat the quality/prices for shrimp.  I think Hong Kong has better fish, though. 
    Options
    How do you know you're getting Gulf Coast shrimp? I read an article recently that seemed to imply that the only way to know is to be standing on the dock when the boat comes in. That more often than not, US sold shrimp is from halfway around the world. Even when it's labeled otherwise. True or false? No idea. 

But the pic sure looked mighty fine!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    How do you know you're getting Gulf Coast shrimp? I read an article recently that seemed to imply that the only way to know is to be standing on the dock when the boat comes in. That more often than not, US sold shrimp is from halfway around the world. Even when it's labeled otherwise. True or false? No idea. 

But the pic sure looked mighty fine!
    You don't always know.  Fraud in seafood is as rampant as false political claims on this forum. 

But in the case of the Westwego market, it is at a shrimp boat harbor with shrimp processing plants, so my guess is that the shrimp *probably* comes from the gulf.  Although they are often frozen and thawed, that's just because they freeze the shrimp on the boat when they catch them.  They're still delicious.

Options
    Really looking forward to trying that recipe even though I had a helluva time making a copy. Had to take pics of it on my phone. Resize them and then email them to myself. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Nobody but me like shrimp at my house. this is a meal for me when I am baching it.
    Thank you for sharing this post. This recipe looks delicious.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I don't know if this will help anyone. Not real sharp. Pics aren't either. 

• gteb
    gteb Posts: 15
    Options
    Think we will try this one tonight! Thanks for the post :)
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Nobody but me like shrimp at my house. this is a meal for me when I am baching it.
    Thank you for sharing this post. This recipe looks delicious.
    I'm in the same boat with shrimp and almost any other kind of seafood...
    Except the fife loves lobster...go figure.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Pro tip - ...  Briefly roasting the shells first gives a nice added flavor to the stock.
    Never heard of that -- will give it a try.  Thanks!

How do you know you're getting Gulf Coast shrimp? ...
    I've never had shrimp from the Gulf Coast -- it's just the name of the recipe.  I'm using Carolina wild-caught shrimp, like you are, I'd guess.  Or at least I'm taking the word for it of my local store that that's what they are.

YukonRon said:
    Nobody but me like shrimp at my house...
    Wow!  There's a lot of stuff my wife hates and I don't cook for that reason, but I thought EVERYBODY liked shrimp!  Interesting!

Thanks everybody for the kind words!
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Most of us buy straight from the shrimp boats. We also buy them with the heads still on. You can tell if they are fresh if the heads are still firmly attached. We had a worker from Tennessee for a few years in the early 90's. He was breaking out and itching. I asked him what he had been eating and he had shrimp twice in 3 days. He was probably alright back in Tennessee where he had shrimp once every blue moon but they are a staple down here.Btw they start catching Gulf Coast Shrimp about 5 miles due south of me in the Gulf of Mexico.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Tried this last night...it was a big hit with the guest.  Thanks for posting sharing this @Theophan

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Theophan
    Options
    @SSQUAL612: Looks fantastic -- Great job!  Glad you liked it!

I have grilled shrimp several ways, but this still is by far my favorite.  I have some more recipes on my list to try, but gosh, this is one great recipe.  Some the recipes on my list come from the same book this recipe came from, so I'm hoping they'll be really good, too.
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    Had enough left over for a couple of skewers tonight..,sprinkled some DP Swamp Venom & squeezed some fresh lemon on em after pulling off grill. SWMBO loved the mod & I highly recommend trying.

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • Theophan
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    ... sprinkled some DP Swamp Venom & squeezed some fresh lemon on em after pulling off grill. SWMBO loved the mod & I highly recommend trying.
    I love it so well the way it is that I hate to mess with it, but maybe if, like you, I make it again soon after making it, I'll try the variation then for a change of pace.  It sounds good!
  • SSQUAL612
    Options
    Theophan said:
    SSQUAL612 said:
    ... sprinkled some DP Swamp Venom & squeezed some fresh lemon on em after pulling off grill. SWMBO loved the mod & I highly recommend trying.
    I love it so well the way it is that I hate to mess with it, but maybe if, like you, I make it again soon after making it, I'll try the variation then for a change of pace.  It sounds good!
    Everyone loved em but a little sweet for me so the added heat & tartness made it more suited to my taste.