Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wire brushes - When will people stop using them

Options
Not sure why it is taking so long for it to catch on to not use wire brushes in cleaning a grill.  The people in this video will no longer be using one I'm sure.    I thought they would show us how to clean with foil paper, but looks like the experts say we should be cooking on it.  
Dave
Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Aluminum foil here.... 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • EggNorth
    EggNorth Posts: 1,535
    Options
    henapple said:
    Aluminum foil here.... 
    Same here.   
    Dave
    Cambridge, Ontario - Canada
    Large (2010), Mini Max (2015), Large garden pot (2018)
  • Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    edited August 2017
    Options
    when ever i hear about these i always picture george bush saying he can by crack across the street from the white house.

HFX NS
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited August 2017
    Options
    I've heard all the stories and watched videos but still used a wire brush until a couple weeks ago.  Yes.....I can be that stupid sometimes.  That night, I cleaned the grate and cooked wings.  When we started to eat.....bristles EVERYWHERE!!!  We ended up trashing around 40 wings which sucked but not nearly as bad as the worry I experienced over the next few days that one of us had ingested one.  I prayed that it'd be me and not one of my kids.  Fortunately, no one had.  
    NEVER AGAIN.  Now I use foil and you should too!!   

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Other than the surface which I can scrape with a spatula or onion I don't obsess about the grill, In my egg, I will ramp up the flame and burn off any Cling Ons  or in the bigger pit use a weed burner and knock the chunks off. Part of a well seasoned Pit is the grill. Does not mean you have to cook on a dirty surface,but scrape the big stuff and let heat take care of everything else. 

I do have one of these and it is OK, but an Onion, foil ball ( mainly for the lid ) or spatula

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    I use a wire welder's brush. The bristles are so big you can't miss them if they do fall out, but I have not lost one yet. A few passes across the grill and all the chunks are gone. It isn't shiny like a new grill, but the protein does not care about that.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Been using a wire brush for almost 25 years with no problem whatsoever. I'm open to change if someone can recommend other effective ways . I tried foil once but for some reason results were not even close to wire brush. Maybe I did it wrong. I do use heat quite often as mentioned by another. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Fire and a putty knife if the fire doesn't get it done.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Fire and a putty knife if the fire doesn't get it done.  
    Heat is a great Sterilizer ! besides I I like to think of it as the "Succession Of Cooks" where every cook is a direct "Succession" of the previous cook
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The knotted wire type that Weber sells appear safe to me. The type that have wire embedded in a wooden or plastic head are subject to failure. One thing is for sure, if you done use a wire brush of any type, you shouldn't get wire in your food. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Good item to be concerned about, but, notice the pics of the brushes shown in the video. They are the Dollar store versions in most cases, with cheap metal bristles "stuck" into a mystery wood or pressed plastic handle. Using a Tang, Premiala, Duragrill or Weber is much safer - but always wipe the grid before use. 
    For the heavy stuff, a Billy Bar is my go to. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • bigegger
    bigegger Posts: 87
    Options
    This is what i use to clean after BGE is cooled down and before I place the cover.

https://www.charbroil.com/accessories/cleaning-maintenance-tools/grill-brushes/cool-clean-360-brush

LBGE with 76" Challenger Cooking Island
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I use a wire brush, mostly to knock the drippy crap from the bottom of the grates so it doesn't fall onto the food on the next level down.  Whenever I have a messy cook, I run the temp up briefly afterward.  Whenever I use a wire brush, I smack the crap out of the racks afterward to knock anything loose off.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Regardless of the type of tool used, apparently some people just don't use their eyeballs and visually inspect the grates before they oil em up and put food on.

That strikes me as like not looking both ways before crossing the street.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Regardless of the type of tool used, apparently some people just don't use their eyeballs and visually inspect the grates before they oil em up and put food on.

That strikes me as like not looking both ways before crossing the street.h
    You're assuming that they oil it every time many people don't oil ever
    HFX NS
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    Options
    I quit the wire brushes several years ago after hearing similar stories and seeing hundreds of metal wires in the bottom of my old Weber. Switched to the Char Broil brush below. It has nylon bristles and cleans as good as you need it to. Of course, you can't use it on a fiery hot grill, but it performs really well IMO.

BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    Nsdexter said:
    HeavyG said:

That strikes me as like not looking both ways before crossing the street.h
    You're assuming that they oil it every time many people don't oil ever
    Well, I don't assume they oil them every time (I don't either) but it's very likely the do put food on them yes?
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    The closest to disaster I came to with wire brushes is once when I cleaned the grate with a wire brush, a piece of wire ended up on the griddle about 3 feet away and that wire ended up in some refried rice.
    Options
    I would brush, wipe with wad of wet paper towels then wipe with oiled paper towels.  Still covered with bristles.  NEVER AGAIN.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I switched to the wooden paddle, if they are real dirty a ball of aluminum foil works great.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Home made paddle works for me. When the end gets worn I just cut it off and presto-change-o I have a new end! =)

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • TheToast
    TheToast Posts: 376
    Options
    I now use a putty knife - it's great! Gets between the grates and won't wear down. Was about £1.50 from Amazon

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I usually just drag some tongs to knock off the grunge.

Image result for commercial tongs
    Options
    I actually bit into a wire bristle clinging to a piece of chicken one time. Luckily did not swallow it. Threw away the wire brush and have been using this ever since. The pads snag and come unraveled too easily so I do have to replace it fairly often.

• CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    Options
    I actually bit into a wire bristle clinging to a piece of chicken one time. Luckily did not swallow it. Threw away the wire brush and have been using this ever since. The pads snag and come unraveled too easily so I do have to replace it fairly often.
    Try the nylon brush. You won't be disappointed. And the head is replaceable too.
    BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    RRP said:
    Home made paddle works for me. When the end gets worn I just cut it off and presto-change-o I have a new end! =)

I like that idea.  When you cut off the end to you yell......"Thank you Sir. May I have another?"

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,173
    Options
    CanDid said:
    Try the nylon brush. You won't be disappointed. And the head is replaceable too.
    Thanks. I'll get one of those.
  • epcotisbest
    epcotisbest Posts: 2,173
    Options
    I think to answer the original question, people will stop using them when they stop selling them and their old ones wear out.