Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Over The Top Smoked Chili ... our new benchmark (with pics)

Options
Stormbringer
Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
edited August 2017 in Beef
I saw this at the start of the year, it got put into the "must try" pile and stayed there until last weekend. A big thanks to @KiterTodd for his descriptive post back in January. The technique is simple ... take your standard chili recipe, smoke the meat low and slow in a ball suspended over chili sauce for 3 hours, break up the ball into chunks, toss it into the sauce and simmer for 1-2 hours. Result ... best darn chili we've tasted. Ever.

Full technique is here, along with our chili recipe.

https://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk/2017/08/04/over-the-top-smoked-chili/

The finished dish ... I put this up first because the "being cooked" pics aren't exactly photogenic:

Chopped peppers and beans:

Sauce in place before the meat goes "over the top":

Smoking away gently for a few hours:

Smoked ball of meat after three hours over the chili sauce (see what I mean? :D ):

Meat is broken up and added back into the sauce, simmered and served:

Thanks for looking.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
| Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
| My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Awesome-did not see @kiterTodd thread, bookmarked Chili is my struggle area for some reason 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Awesome-did not see @kiterTodd thread, bookmarked Chili is my struggle area for some reason 
    This makes it easy and damn tasty, good luck bud.
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• Eggdicted_Dawgfan
    Options
    Beautiful cook and pictures!
    Snellville, GA

• Stormbringer
    Options
    Beautiful cook and pictures!
    Cheers bud, as usual credit to SWMBO for the pics. I'm hoping to get her next set of USA pics up this weekend.

• Stormbringer
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Had some of this for dinner last night, served in a giant Yorkshire pudding. @KiterTodd was bang on the money, sealed in vac sealed bags in the fridge for 4 days and then re-heated it's taken on even more flavour.

• GeezerSteve
    Options
    Where did you get that enameled (only on the inside) dutch oven? I've been looking everywhere for such a container. Would really appreciate any pointer to a source.

• wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    Where did you get that enameled (only on the inside) dutch oven? I've been looking everywhere for such a container. Would really appreciate any pointer to a source.

Lodge has em

NC - LBGE
  • Stormbringer
    Options

It's a Le Crueset enamaled Dutch Oven. The Lodge one that @wardo linked above is very similar though, and I suspect lower cost on your side of the pond.

• eggnewtoy
    Options

It's a Le Crueset enamaled Dutch Oven. The Lodge one that @wardo linked above is very similar though, and I suspect lower cost on your side of the pond.

I’ve had it for years.  May have been my Mom’s.  Le crueset does last for years—enameled inside and out.  Cheers!  
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Just a tip for clean up on these enamel cast iron cookware pieces. There is a product called "Bar Keepers Friend" that makes them shine like new. It removes all the soot / smoke build up you get on the outside of the cookware. I highly recommend this if you or your significant other is OCD, or if you just like clean looking cookware.
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Just a tip for clean up on these enamel cast iron cookware pieces. There is a product called "Bar Keepers Friend" that makes them shine like new. It removes all the soot / smoke build up you get on the outside of the cookware. I highly recommend this if you or your significant other is OCD, or if you just like clean looking cookware.
    Wow I second this.. It's like magic happening in front of your eyes.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....