Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Spatch on 2nd Level in MiniMax

Options
SamIAm2
SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
After seeing @Stormbringer posting Minimax fun - bone marrow, ribeye, LOTS of flames ... part 1 (with pics) I had to try Spatchcock chicken in my MiniMax. Used the home made raised grid rig which was pretty much a copy of his with a 13" grid instead of a 10". Used Herbs De Provence on this 4.5 pound chicken and put a drip pan underneath.
45 minutes later it looked like this:

Rotated the rig to finish the cook.

Pulled the chicken off along with the drippings and let the bird rest while I made gravy.
Served chicken with jasmine rice, wax beans and gravy for me. 

Dark meat and the breast meat were really moist. Enjoyed how fast this cook was. Thanks for looking.
Ubi panis, ibi patria.
Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.

Comments

• dsrguns
    dsrguns Posts: 421
    Options
    Very nice. I've done a few spatched raised direct and enjoyed them. Good work.

XL BGE
    MD
  • Stormbringer
    Stormbringer Posts: 2,082
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Nice going @SamIAm2. I'm surprised that a 13 inch grid works, good to know. I updated the original blog post, thanks for allowing me to add your pics.

https://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk/2017/06/30/maxing-out-a-minimax-big-green-egg/

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    How high are the bolts?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Suggestion for next time. DIRECT 375/400. I cook spatchcocked on my MM all the time only with a Mini-Max Woo. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SamIAm2
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Nice going @SamIAm2. I'm surprised that a 13 inch grid works, good to know. I updated the original blog post, thanks for allowing me to add your pics.

@stormbringer - Getting the rig adjusted is a little more fiddly but is easily done, just after I light the charcoal. ;) I just keep moving the legs and grid, top and bottom until the dome doesn't move the top grate. You can hear it hit so it doesn't take long.
    YukonRon said:
    How high are the bolts?

They are M10 about 3 3/4". I think you could use 3/8" bolts of similar length or longer as long as the bolts extend within the fire ring.
    The nice thing about @Stormbringer rig is the wing nuts allow adjustment in height and you can remove the whole set up without having to use wrenches since it floats/slides on the grate.
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • SamIAm2
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Suggestion for next time. DIRECT 375/400. I cook spatchcocked on my MM all the time only with a Mini-Max Woo. 
    Thanks Mickey. I would have done direct, but I wanted to catch the drippings for gravy. I think the cook was at 375. Need to work more on my gravy skills!
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    The nice thing about @Stormbringer rig is  ...
    I like it. Name copyrighted. :D:D:D
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:
    You are kidding? 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Stormbringer
    Options
    Mickey said:
    SamIAm2 said:
    You are kidding? 
    Yes. Hence the smileys ... :D:D:D

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Looks fantastic. What's the advantage of using an raised grid instead of a roasting rack or vertical roaster?
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    SamIAm2 said:

@stormbringer - Getting the rig adjusted is a little more fiddly but is easily done, just after I light the charcoal. ;) I just keep moving the legs and grid, top and bottom until the dome doesn't move the top grate. You can hear it hit so it doesn't take long.
    YukonRon said:
    How high are the bolts?

They are M10 about 3 3/4". I think you could use 3/8" bolts of similar length or longer as long as the bolts extend within the fire ring.
    The nice thing about @Stormbringer rig is the wing nuts allow adjustment in height and you can remove the whole set up without having to use wrenches since it floats/slides on the grate.
    Thanks. I am on this like bark on a tree.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SamIAm2
    Options
    1voyager said:
    Looks fantastic. What's the advantage of using an raised grid instead of a roasting rack or vertical roaster?
    This raised grid setup provides adjustable height where the food is cooked; roasting racks have a fixed height bottom and handles which may interfere with the dome.  I have used a small vertical roaster (beer can chicken) with good results but much lower in the egg, much like where roasting racks are usually placed. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • Stormbringer
    Options
    1voyager said:
    In my experience, raising the grid high into the dome for chicken makes the skin crisper. Same principle as raising pizza into the dome, the radiant heat from the closer proximity of the dome makes the chicken skin crisper and tastier. Also takes less time to cook and for spatchcock chicken, gives an even cook throughout the bird.