Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Dirty "Dalmatian rub" questions

Options
So, I've gotten involved in tweaking my rubs a bit and wanted the boards opinion on my current setup. 

I've been doing: 
1 part kosher salt
1 part black pepper
1/4-1/2 part garlic powder

What I'd like to try:
1 part kosher salt
1 part black pepper
1/4-1/2 part garlic powder
1/4-1/2 part brown sugar

Now, I realize this isn't some radical idea, but I'd like to know from your experience what the interaction in taste has been between the brown sugar and garlic powder in your rubs. Part of me wants to equal them, but I'm afraid of one overpowering the other. I can (and will) mix rations but was wondering if anyone had any experience combining these two ingredients in such a basic rub and how they complimented (or failed to compliment) each other. 

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    edited July 2017
    Options

It all depends on what you are going to put it on and what temp you will be cooking . IE 1/1 ratio on salt and pepper, fine on brisket, bad on ribs. High sugar contend Bad on high heat cooks, etc.. Glad to see you making your own ...Link below is great rub baseline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGwmaq6y6iU

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • WDE86
    WDE86 Posts: 69
    Options
    lkapigian said:

It all depends on what you are going to put it on and what temp you will be cooking . IE 1/1 ratio on salt and pepper, fine on brisket, bad on ribs. High sugar contend Bad on high heat cooks, etc.. Glad to see you making your own ...Link below is great rub baseline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGwmaq6y6iU

I am low and slow with everything. The sugar burning doesn't concern me as much on a smaller cut but obviously on something bigger I'd need to dial it back or add it later in the cook. 

Thanks for the link! I'll check it out asap.