Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

costco or sams club?

2»

Comments

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
     I was a member of Sam's for years. My ex is from Iowa and she was used to Sam's/Super Walmart. So I joined the club about 25 miles away over the other choice at that time which was BJ's(about 12 miles away). I liked it just fine. Went up there about 4 times per year and always dropped $5-6 hundred dollars each time. A Costco opened in town and my Parents got a membership there. I got a second "family card" at no cost as my official address was still at my childhood home for legal reasons. It took some time to get used to the stuff Costco had vs Sams. I did keep the Sams account until my divorce to keep the Wife happy(did not work...) But now have dropped the Sam's membership in favor of a RD. I still have the Costco active. As a single guy I do not really need the club membership as much as I used to, but I do still walk thru every couple of months. Costco quality is definitely better. Some of the Sam's choices I do miss.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    YukonRon said:
    The liquor store is superior. Costco has the stuff I want. Prime brisket @2.99/#.
    Duh.
    Next?
    Unfortunately, in my state (Virginia), Costco is prohibited from selling liquor...le sigh.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I switched from Sams to Costco years ago. Very satisfied.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Like both, but they are far.. And HEB is close.  I shut down Costco a couple years back, just didn't go north of town anymore. No other complaints.. I took a Costco pizza on a river/camping trip once, packed 2 pieces per Ziploc.  4 days of lunch, $16.  I was a genius.  (Was)
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,357
    Each has their own benefits. On beef Costco has Prime whereas Sams typically only carries Choice. Costco also has a more diverse and fresher seafood dept. 
    We have membership to both. Costco is a good hour click out for us so I carry a small cooler  with me just in case I'm close by. 
    New one on the the westside by years end brother. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,958
    edited July 2017
    Like both, but they are far.. And HEB is close.  I shut down Costco a couple years back, just didn't go north of town anymore. No other complaints.. I took a Costco pizza on a river/camping trip once, packed 2 pieces per Ziploc.  4 days of lunch, $16.  I was a genius.  (Was)
    Heb makes it tough on the clubs around here. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    I'm drunk 
    Alone or with friends?
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    costco definitely has been better for us..been in a sams club close by and per @RRP's comments above, not all stores are created equal.  Bad experience with sams and always a good experience with costco.   Costco always has more than what im looking for so thats where we go

There is a sams club as you come into town to rocky point mexico so at least when we are down there, sams is where we go for the beach house week grocery run....
  • Jellyworm
    Jellyworm Posts: 96
    We have both in Houston and I belong to both.  I rarely go to Sam's because the quality at Costco is so much better on meat, seafood and adult beverages as many have said before.  Not sure I will renew my Sam's Club membership as we rarely go there anymore.   
    Large BGE
    Houston, TX
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259

We've had both and for us it's Costco hands down!  Better quality, selection, and far better service and friendly employees.  Their checkout process is so superior to Sam's.  I get my membership cost back every year with their cash back program.

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,024
    Webass said:

We've had both and for us it's Costco hands down!  Better quality, selection, and far better service and friendly employees.  Their checkout process is so superior to Sam's.  I get my membership cost back every year with their cash back program.

I think Sam's beats Costco for checkout. You just scan your items as you put them in your cart. No lines at all!

https://www.samsclub.com/sams/html/mobile/help/scan-and-go.html?mobiledetect=false
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    I'm with those above who don't support the Walton businesses.  Thus no choice and I'm fine with Costco.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Costco has better meat and Kirkland signature brand is higher quality than Sam's Members Mark in my humble opinion. Plus Kirkland 6 year old Canadian whiskey is pretty close to crown royal in taste an $25 a 1.75l !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    We don't really have a choice here in Little Rock.  Costco doesn't come into Arkansas.  I've despised going in Sam's for years because of the crowds and long lines.  With that new Scan and Go app, it's great - no line at all, just have to show your phone's screen on the way out.