Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Cutting the cord

cheeaa
cheeaa Posts: 364
edited July 2017 in EggHead Forum
So, we're finally getting ready to cut the cord and are looking for the best options. Luckily for me, the wife is redecorating both living rooms so soon we will have 2 new 4k tv's to help.

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Do you mean ditch cable for streaming?

netflix Hulu and hbo now
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • cheeaa
    I have a much bigger post but it's not all posting for some reason. But yes, that's what I mean
  • cheeaa

Now, as far as channels go, we have a 5 and 1 year old, so kids channels are a must. Like Disney, Disney Jr., Nick, etc.

I like golf channel, hockey and baseball. I think mlb.tv will cover me for baseball, but I'm not sure about hockey. I guess game center would work but what do i do for local blues games? Are the regional fox sports channels available in any streaming services? I havent seen any mentioned on the ones ive checked out, but if they are, that would cover me for both blues and cards games. 

As far as regular tv goes, we don't watch a ton, but we would want food network, discovery network, fx, basically just basic cable channels. 

I've read a bit lately, but really would like some opinions from real world. So, based on what I have above, what do you guys think are the best options? What do you guys do? What do you like or not like about your setup?

I appreciate it in advance
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    If your serious about cutting the cord AND need your sports, look into Kodi. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • If you have Amazon Prime check into their stuff. It is included with your prime account.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Fyi, there is a Kodi crackdown underway in UK, and it will probably spread.  This is/was the most popular option for users that wanted pay content without paying.  It has integrated add-ons for legit services, but  that's not what most people  got it for.. It's popular for watching movies that are in theatres and watching pay cable tv for free, and it's super easy to install and use.  I used it for a while, is not bug free, or glitch free, but it is the best out there.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailystar.co.uk/tech/news/628054/Kodi-crackdown-government-IPO-illegal-streaming-services/amp

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    edited July 2017
    Pick up a good HD over the air antenna to get your local stations. 

Here's a coverage listing 

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    For sports Hulu has a live option now that's specific to region 40/month still cheaper than most 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    I had my firestick side loaded with Kodi and now it's gone so the crack down is far and wide. And it's gone from my fire TV as well.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• TN_Sister_State
    Wait till later this summer for the mohu airwave for local love tv ota.
    Franklin, Tn

• cheeaa
    SoCalTim said:
    If your serious about cutting the cord AND need your sports, look into Kodi.

I guess it has a lot of sport streams?
  • cheeaa
    If you have Amazon Prime check into their stuff. It is included with your prime account.
    Yeah Amazon is probably one if the front runners for me at this point. 
  • DoubleEgger
    I looked up my house and I get 11 stations with a strong signal over the air. I might have to look into this now. Couple all the local stations with AP or NF and you'd be set. 
  • cheeaa
    I looked up my house and I get 11 stations with a strong signal over the air. I might have to look into this now. Couple all the local stations with AP or NF and you'd be set. 
    You have to get an antennae right?
  • DoubleEgger
    cheeaa said:
    You have to get an antennae right?
    Yes but they are very reasonably priced. Some are even 4K compatible for well under $100. 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    We ditched Dish and went with PS Vue. All the local channels, Disney, HBO, Showtime, etc for $65/month. You can load it onto your Amazon Fire Stick - works great. Running it on 5 TV's in the house. 
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    I've never had cable or satellite..... we get about 20 stations off an antenna.  Before we had a decent internet connection for streaming, we had a dvr / TiVo kind of deal to record the various shows.  Now that we finally have high speed for the last year, Amazon prime is great.  Our nanny has her Netflix account on all the tvs, plus turned us on to kodi on the firestick......wow, been missing out on that for years!
  • TN_Sister_State
    CTMike said:
    We ditched Dish and went with PS Vue. All the local channels, Disney, HBO, Showtime, etc for $65/month. You can load it onto your Amazon Fire Stick - works great. Running it on 5 TV's in the house. 
    The only issue with PS Vue is not ALL markets get live local channels so anyone signing up need to check that first. 
    Franklin, Tn

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    We are on cable for internet, TV and telephone and I am satisfied. One thing that I had done when we built our home long before cable was here was to have a huge TV antenna installed in the highest part of our attic and then wires run to several outlets in our home. Now of course they are dormant, but if a new buyer comes along and wants to cut cable for sake of TV they are all set! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    I cut the cord years ago. Antenna, Netflix, Sling, and Firestick serve up all I need
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Unfortunately for me, my viewing habits are live sports and news.  I couldn't care less about other programming.  As near as I can tell, I need to wish for al a carte pricing for any chance of savings (Directv here).
    Please correct me if I have it wrong.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    @lousubcap

Sling blue for $25/month offers ESPN, ESPN2, FS1, NFL network, etc..

https://www.sling.com/programming/sports
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Also talk to friends/family with cable/satellite and see if they would be willing to share login info for apps with live viewing.  
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• DoubleEgger
    lousubcap said:
    Unfortunately for me, my viewing habits are live sports and news.  I couldn't care less about other programming.  As near as I can tell, I need to wish for al a carte pricing for any chance of savings (Directv here).
    Please correct me if I have it wrong.
    As long as Direct TV has the Sunday Ticket, I'm not going anywhere. 
  • Nsdexter
    Nsdexter Posts: 195
    All I. Want I see a pvr type thing for hockey and I'd be a happy camper
    HFX NS
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    @ColtsFan - thanks for the link.  Will have to do my homework now.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mtasker
    mtasker Posts: 88
    ps vue and chromecast on 3 TV's.  get everything I need and saving $100 a month after dropping cable.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    PS Vue for me. Gives me hockey and MLB. I don't have certain channels, but am am able to stream with the channel's app and cast to Chromecast for viewing.
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    We cut the cord three years ago and haven't missed the bills. We have Hulu, Prime, and Netflix. For us that works well...but I do not have small children.
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Bit torrent has worked well and cost me zero over the last dozen years.  Movies, TV etc.  I've added a VPN the last couple years in order to be totally anonymous.  This cost somewhere around $40 per year.

Some sporting events and local news may be an issue.  But there are solutions for those too.

Phoenix