Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Considering a Mini (and minor rant about Canadian pricing)

Options
Already have a Large and Mini Max, but was considering adding a Mini to my lineup. Love the ultra-portability. The biggest drawback to me is the inability to use most bakeware on account of the small grill surface. 

Price at my local dealer for Mini (including carrier) and plate setter, including taxes: $769.35 CAD (roughly $597.40 USD). Seems a tad ridiculous, given the regular selling price of the Kamado Joe Jr. is only $688.85 CAD taxes in. (For the record, I have no interest in the Joe Jr., as I already have the Mini Max.)

What have you Mini owners paid for your Eggs?

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    What have you Mini owners paid for your Eggs?

In my are they are in the 300's. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Yeah. We get screwed. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Charge high prices for eggs and give $8M to GitMo criminal detainees. Guess it's a matter of where priorities lie. Maybe they take all the brokerage fees etc and give them to all to poor murders and rapists. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @GrateEggspectations
    Its no secret that I'm a huge fan of the mighty mini. I absolutely love it. But if mine broke today, I would probably replace it with this. 

Might be something worth you looking at my friend. Several folks on this forum has them and really like them. Now that they are 199 im thinking about getting one myself as a backup. Hard to beat that price. 
    And for the record, they are ceramic. Not refractory wrapped in plastic like some of the other knockoffs. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    $100. Years ago, brand new but never used by the owner that sold it to me. My first cook revealed a hornet nest under the firebox. Can't believe I drove home with that thing. I torched every hornet as they tried to flee the vent opening. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,108
    Options
    $359 here.  Just checked today.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    You Canadians are getting hosed with import duty...actually, I think it probably has a lot to do with the negotiated price with BGE and shipping more than the tax, but just a guess.  

Prices may be going up even more as a certain someone wants to tax Mexican (where the egg comes from) imports. 

They say the more you pay for the cooker, the better the food tastes.  Should be extra delicious for everyone.
    Options
    I believe part of the plan to make America great again is to get more money from the Canadians.
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    Do a search on here for:
    magic mini moments
    These are from @Spring Chicken . They will show you what others have done with their mini.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    I've ended up with a couple used Mini's. One was new and the other used. I picked them up for $100/piece. It's a fun little grill but no way worth $400 new or close to that price point. I use my Weber Jumbo Joe 10× more than my Mini's when traveling/tailgating and it was under $40. Mini are fun but the price they want for the size you get is insane.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Florida Grillin Girl
    Florida Grillin Girl Posts: 4,973
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I paid $250 for mine, new. Here is one for $250 on CL, used. https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/for/6155881364.html
    This listing has been on CL for months. I'll go pick it up for you, and YOU get a free trip to Florida with the money you save!
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I paid $250 for mine, new. Here is one for $250 on CL, used. https://fortmyers.craigslist.org/lee/for/6155881364.html
    This listing has been on CL for months. I'll go pick it up for you, and YOU get a free trip to Florida with the money you save!
    Very kind of you. Would love a trip to Florida. Haven't been in years and the 24 hour drive from my place makes for a real road trip (which I love; I'm actually taking off for a 16 hour drive shortly!).

There was a brand new Mini on Kijiji near me for $350 about a month ago. I had the opportunity to get it and seriously considered the purchase, but ultimately passed. For me, the $250 of savings was not worth the lack of warranty. After a bad experience with a used Egg, I've decided I'll only buy new with warranty from now on. Not knocking used Eggs - I've owned a few and see the benefits - I just plan to buy new going forward. 

Guess I'll have to bite the bullet and pay up if I can't resist the temptation. 
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Canadian pricing is ridiculous :s:s
    I just paid 250.00 for the new style bands...crazy.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,304
    Options
    Is a VAT included in that price? As Mexican import duties, Green Egg incorporated is always free to manufacture them in the US.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    In the UK, we don't get the Mini. The MiniMax is £599 plus £50 extra for the platesetter (including our 20% sales tax). That's over USD700.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Is a VAT included in that price? As Mexican import duties, Green Egg incorporated is always free to manufacture them in the US.
    They are free to make them here, as Primo already does.   The Primos cost about the same as BGEs, but I imagine BGE cares more about their profit than bringing the jobs here, but if there's a tariff added at some point in the future that affects their cost, I think they would first see how passing that on to the consumer works with their business model before they moved their factory. 
    Options
    BGE is considered a NAFTA item, as I understand it. The Canadian ludicrous price is direct result of BGE's business plan, one distributor in Canada. Cross border shopping is the way to get a reasonable deal and you only have to pay your local sales taxes, no duty applies. If you stay over 24 hours, no taxes at all. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    BGE is considered a NAFTA item, as I understand it. The Canadian ludicrous price is direct result of BGE's business plan, one distributor in Canada. Cross border shopping is the way to get a reasonable deal and you only have to pay your local sales taxes, no duty applies. If you stay over 24 hours, no taxes at all. 

Thanks for the tip, however, as I understand it, the warranties do not apply across borders, which would deter me from a cross-border purchase.