Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How long does it take the BGE to heat up?

Options
I'm a newby, and it seems that it's taking way too long for my egg to get above 200º. I stir the old lump so that the "dust" goes down, add a bit of new lump, and light it. It still is running around 200º half an hour later, even though I've left the lower vent and the daisy wheel completely open. After maybe an hour and a quarter, or an hour and a half, it gets up to 400º or so. This seems longer to me than most people have talked about. Am I doing something wrong, or is this time normal? I use BGE firestarters, and per an employee of BGE I only use one per cook. Do I have to arrange larger pieces of lump charcoal around the bottom of the egg by hand, to make sure that there's enough air coming in? Any comments and advice will be much appreciated.

Comments

• slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    Simple science my friend, more fire equals more heat. If you what to do a low and slow cook, one fire starter MIGHT be enough, but you have to adjust that method if you want to get it hot quick.

that being said, use a couple starters and leave the lid open longer. Even better, ditch the fire starters and get a propane torch from Home Depot and hold a flame to it for a couple minutes.

guys and gals here have many methods that work, but the common theme is more heat and more air flow equals higher temp faster.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    If a hot fire is what you are after, light in multiple places.  Keep the lid open longer.  Lighting in 3 places and keeping the lid open 15 minutes should get you to around 400. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    It still is running around 200º half an hour later, even though I've left the lower vent and the daisy wheel completely open. 
    This is the key, I think. If you want things to go faster, you need enough air to feed the fire. Instead of closing the lid and opening the daisy wheel after you light it, just leave the lid open completely. How long will depend on what you're cooking. If you want something really hot to cook steaks, for example, you might want to leave it open for 15 minutes or so before you close the lid.
    Also, at the very beginning like this (depending on where it is and what's under it) you might just leave the spark screen completely open too. That will double the air coming in from the bottom vent.

Of course, I will quickly add that you need to stick around and keep an eye on things to avoid a visit from the fire department.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    ... I stir the old lump so that the "dust" goes down, add a bit of new lump, ...
    I agree with those above, but want to add that the problem might also be "a bit" of lump:  Sometimes people new to the Egg do what they did with regular charcoal grills, and put in just the amount of lump they think they'll need for that cook, and then wonder why it's not getting hot.   Because the BGE is so efficient, and the coals go out quickly when you shut the air off, you can use a LOT of lump with no waste.  Any time I add lump, I fill 'er up to the top of the fire ring, occasionally a little higher for a really long low-and-slow.  So:
    • Make sure you have enough lump.
    • Make sure nothing is smothering your air flow.
    • If you want low-and-slow, 250°-275°, light it in one spot, centrally.
    • If you want the whole surface of the lump hot for a hot-and-fast grilling cook, light it in at least 3 places.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    My lighting technique includes a MAPP torch. I can cook at just about any temp within 15-20 minutes. 

When lighting, get a spot nice and hot until it is emitting flames on its own. Let that burn a few minutes with the dome open, then close the dome with the daisy wheel removed and let the Egg come up to the desired temp. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Daisy wheel open?  Or daisy wheel off?  With the daisy wheel completely open my egg settles in at 450.  With the top off but lid closed it will go to over 1000.  So, if you want to accelerate the start up time, use more lighter cubes or fire starters or whatever you use - and leave the top off for 10-20 minutes as needed.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    For a fast fire,I like to liberally sprinkle the lump with 91% rubbing alcohol,  allow to sink in for a couple of minutes and light. 
    Works every time. 
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    edited July 2017
    Options
    How Long does it take the BGE to heat up?
    oh about 3 beers

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• pab
    pab Posts: 273
    Options
    If you are planning to cook north of 300* the daisy wheel isn't needed. Control temp with the bottom vent. If you are using the the original fire grate the holes could very well be plugged with small pieces of lump. Take a metal hanger and run it under the grate through the lower vent and give it a couple of gentle wiggles. Many here have a high-q grate or kick ash basket that really help get to temps faster. And as @Theophan suggested, make sure you are using enough fuel.
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Legume said:
    Just curious. How often is this used, prior to a crack? Never needed 750F in less than 5 mins.
    Have you? 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    No daisy wheel for getting up to temperature.
    Light in multiple spots unless doing a low and low cook.
    Make sure the ash isn't blocking the air flow (depends on the Egg, my MMX needs cleaning out a lot more frequently than my XL).
    With old lump, you tend to get more smaller pieces. Sometimes these can lodge in the holes in the grate and restrict air flow. If there's a lot of small stuff in there, shovel it out, place a layer of large pieces of lump on the grate and then put the small stuff on top.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Legume said:
    Just curious. How often is this used, prior to a crack? Never needed 750F in less than 5 mins.
    Have you? 
    Never, I would hate to rush my pre-cook drinking that much.
  • MacThespian
    Options
    Thanks, everyone. These are the basics of cooking with an egg that I didn't get at the store, or from the BGE rep I spoke with. I will modify my procedures (does that sound stuffy enough?) and give it a go.
    I really appreciate all the advice.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    If you want a quick hot bed of coals for grilling,  light the top of the lump in a few places and close the bottom vent, leave the lid up.  The fire will spread across the top.
    Options
            I can get my XL to 900 at the grate in 20minutes.  I suggest you do a test burn with a full load of charcoal and bring the egg up to 600-700 degrees just to get a feel of how it heats up.   Just leave the lid open (and the bottom open) and let it go. 
  • B747crew
    B747crew Posts: 158
    Options
    XL to 500 in 15 mins
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited July 2017
    Options
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options

this guy has your answer!  A visit to harbor freight and problem solved