Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire Went Out on Butt Overnight!

Options
Stuckinohio
Stuckinohio Posts: 22

I searched for this on here and couldn't find anything that imitated my current predicament, so I apologize in advance for ANOTHER "fire went out" topic!

I set the Large at 225 yesterday evening, and put the meat on at a little after 8p.  When I fell asleep at roughly 11p, the internal temp was 129 and the dome was 230.  I had alarms set on the Maverick 732 and the cell phone app, but as you probably know, the Bluetooth function is awesome, as long as there are no walls between you and the Egg!  Grrrrr!

Anyway, I woke up at 0538a and went out to check the Egg.  The fire was out, the dome was 150-175 (I was sleepy!) and the internal temp was 130. 

I re-lit the lump, brought the temp back up to just under 300, let the smoke fade to pale white and returned the butt to the Egg.

Reckon I'm ok?  Thanks in advance! 

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    the dome temp has to be below 140 for 4 hours for it to be considered unsafe, its a silly rule considering its covered in salt and smoke. safe
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    It is fine. Going forward go higher than 225. Really no need to go that low. And if that's dome thermometer you are closer to 200 at
    grate temp. Needs to be stabilized for a while if going temps that low before meat goes on 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    It is fine. Going forward go higher than 225. Really no need to go that low. And if that's dome thermometer you are closer to 200 at
    grate temp. Needs to be stabilized for a while if going temps that low before meat goes on 
    This ^^^^^^^^^^
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Keep on truckin

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I've extinguished the fire on purpose a couple of times. It takes 90 minutes or more to drop below 140. Your fire hadn't been out long.

225 is the bottom end of what I would do for an over nighter, for just this reason. They tend to go out. It also will take forever to get done. The plateau/stall doesn't end till half the water weight has evaporated, which takes 8 - 10 hours at 225.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    Congrats, Trooper! Now stay safe your last day!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Central_Bama_Egger
    Options
    Thanks, y'all.  I'm smoking this as a last "hoorah" for the folks at work.  This is my last day as a State Trooper AND as an Ohioan.  After 32 years up here, I'm moving back home to Kentucky.  Yay me!!!!!!
    I'm not from Ohio but congrats and thanks for your service. I've never received a ticket in Ohio but I have in Kentucky.
    Huntsville, Al LBGE
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    Thanks, y'all.  I'm smoking this as a last "hoorah" for the folks at work.  This is my last day as a State Trooper AND as an Ohioan.  After 32 years up here, I'm moving back home to Kentucky.  Yay me!!!!!!
    Congrats!  Now you can change your name to stuck in Kentucky haha
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
    [I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Congrats on your career.  As above, stay safe.  I'm sure I have seen you at one of the many roadside stands you guys in Ohio set  up to enable you to meet us peaceful drivers.   Saw four of them along I-71 Weds (3 between Cincy and Columbus alone).
    edit:  Never thought to toss the BGE as a friendly conversation starter during a roadside interview  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited July 2017
    Options
    Thank-you for your service.

I "earned" a couple of speeding tickets on I70 back the the 1980's. It didn't take long for me to get pulled over. Those Crown Vics with the flying tire logo were fast!

Stay safe.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    @Stuckinohio what part of KY you moving back to? 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    This is why they make controllers.

Enjoy the new lifestyle!!! Congrats!