Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2017 Rub & Sauce Exchange - Show Off Thread

Options

Comments

• gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    I really did score big this year!

The great thing is that it didn't matter at all on my end that the package was delayed in customs. Our 4th of July cookout was a kids affair with just simple burger and dogs. This weekend however I'm going to a cookout hosted by another local egger, and I'm charged with bringing the ribs. The package arrived at the perfect time for me to knock that cook out of the park!
    Chilly. So glad it got there. I made the knife back in Feb just for this exchange. It's made with O2 tool steel which means it will tarnish but who cares. It's the edge that matters and it would shave when it left Canada. :). The handle is zebrawood that I tried to make faceted because I didn't know better. It pinch grips nicely. 

I am sorry I forgot to include the letter. I was rushed before I went to the US. I printed it and then sealed the box without it. I'm dumb :)

i admit I usually try to do a really Canadian package but this time I was just a bit busy with work. I really hope you like the sauces. The screech sauce is good and the pickled beans are friggin' killer in a Caesar (Official drink of Canada).  I took a flier on a few items and tried to not go "whole maple". But you gotta have a bit of maple.

Sorry again for not including the letter and I sure hope you like the hand made knife. Take care and please don't cut off anything important. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Brason said:

I received this amazing box today. Alan @tonkaegger really knocked it out of the park. IHe included some things I have always wanted to try, Blues Hog Red, Head Country, Eat BBQ. 1 thing I love, Famous Daves Devil's Spit and lots of items I can't wait to try, all the rest. This was a great exchange and I am stoked to try everything.

Thanks @cazzy and @northGAcock for all the work that went to this exchange.

I got the Devils Spit last year. Hotter than Dutch Love. Use with care. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2017
    Options
    The Dipstix is great... you'll love it!!  Wee Willy's is a good sauce too!!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    A big shout out to @Action_Hank  for the incredible package. It actually arrived last Wednesday...as I was driving north to our camp for a week of work. My wife and son were so excited that they opened it (with my permission) and texted me pictures as I drove. 

Pretty sweet box of bourbon based products from Kentucky! I had a lot of fun going through everything, with the THREE page letter that came with it! Hank certainly has a sense of humor. 

Three different beers plus a bottle of Ale8! We visited the Makers Mark Distillery back in April and had a bottle of Ale8 while there. Pretty excited to try the Expresso Rub...might happen tonight.

Bourbon smoked garlic pepper?!?! How can you go wrong with this one! Cookies and candies with a bourbon base? My wife asked me if I told Hank I was a bourbon fan!

Bourbon smoked paprika and some pretty sweet sauces. Already planning my next trip to Bourbon country and Moonlight BBQ in Owensboro is on my list. 

Thanks again Hank and sorry for the delay in posting. No internet access at camp (but I do now have a BGE there!).
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,758
    Options
    Not sure what happened to mine, my elfster sent me a tracking # on Monday...it made it across the US to my city and looks like Fed Ex sent it back, never even went out for delivery 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Not sure what happened to mine, my elfster sent me a tracking # on Monday...it made it across the US to my city and looks like Fed Ex sent it back, never even went out for delivery 
    Is your elfster address correct? 
    There might be two areas to enter your address.  I had my work address in elfster but it came to my house! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    lkapigian said:
    There might be two areas to enter your address.  I had my work address in elfster but it came to my house! 
    Or you were going to get beer.  . . And they caught it. 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • cazzy
    Options
    EggMcMic said:
    A big shout out to @Action_Hank  for the incredible package. It actually arrived last Wednesday...as I was driving north to our camp for a week of work. My wife and son were so excited that they opened it (with my permission) and texted me pictures as I drove. 

Pretty sweet box of bourbon based products from Kentucky! I had a lot of fun going through everything, with the THREE page letter that came with it! Hank certainly has a sense of humor. 

Three different beers plus a bottle of Ale8! We visited the Makers Mark Distillery back in April and had a bottle of Ale8 while there. Pretty excited to try the Expresso Rub...might happen tonight.

Bourbon smoked garlic pepper?!?! How can you go wrong with this one! Cookies and candies with a bourbon base? My wife asked me if I told Hank I was a bourbon fan!

Bourbon smoked paprika and some pretty sweet sauces. Already planning my next trip to Bourbon country and Moonlight BBQ in Owensboro is on my list. 

Thanks again Hank and sorry for the delay in posting. No internet access at camp (but I do now have a BGE there!).

Wow, that is a freaking score.  Hank, you hit it out of the park man!
  • cazzy
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I will investigate.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I've been wondering if there was a hitch in mine as well.  No tracking number to follow though.
  • lkapigian
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    lkapigian said:
    Looks like my address shows up correctly--Like I say, it hit the terminal then said "exception, returning shipment"
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @lkapigian  Maybe the package headed to California got turned around because it contained "a" salt rifle. =)=)=) heh heh. Good stuff.

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• lkapigian
    Options
    @lkapigian  Maybe the package headed to California got turned around because it contained "a" salt rifle. =)=)=) heh heh. Good stuff.

Bwahaha
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Legume
    Options
    Package just arrived!  Thanks @tgs2401 for lots of Kentucky goodies that are all new to me.  Any stories or recommendations to share about any of them?

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @Legume gonna need a report on that bourbon garlic glaze. That's got two of my 5 favorite food groups in it. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    mwatts said:
    @ChillyWillis

Great package from the Massachusetts/ Rhode Island area. Have already tried a lot and love everything so far. The maple wood has been put to good use as well. I didn't realize that area would have so much great BBQ stuff. Thanks again. 

Holy crap! He hit the mother load

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Yeah I'm with @GATraveller

it was a sauce and rub exchange. Not an "All the Sauce and Rub" exchange. Dang son

South of Nashville, TN

• lkapigian
    Options

Bwahaha
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    mwatts said:
    @ChillyWillis

Great package from the Massachusetts/ Rhode Island area. Have already tried a lot and love everything so far. The maple wood has been put to good use as well. I didn't realize that area would have so much great BBQ stuff. Thanks again. 
    Quite the hall right there. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Legume said:
    Package just arrived!  Thanks @tgs2401 for lots of Kentucky goodies that are all new to me.  Any stories or recommendations to share about any of them?

That is a nice package right there. 2 pounds of grits will be some good eating for a while. 

• Legume
    Options
    @northGAcock you'll have to school me on grits, I've eaten them, never cooked them.  I just know from My Cousin Vinny they're probably not magic grits so they'll take more than 5 min to cook.
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited July 2017
    Options
    mwatts said:
    @ChillyWillis

Glad you're enjoying everything @mwatts. Katie and I had a blast putting that together. Its good to see that it got the little ones grinning as well. Enjoy!
  • tonkaegger
    tonkaegger Posts: 35
    Options
    Brason said:

I received this amazing box today. Alan @tonkaegger really knocked it out of the park. IHe included some things I have always wanted to try, Blues Hog Red, Head Country, Eat BBQ. 1 thing I love, Famous Daves Devil's Spit and lots of items I can't wait to try, all the rest. This was a great exchange and I am stoked to try everything.

gmac said:
    Brason said:

I got the Devils Spit last year. Hotter than Dutch Love. Use with care. 
    Thanks for the good words, Jason.  Hope you enjoy everything.  
    Still awaiting my package.
    Twin Cities, Minn. XL BGE, cheap barrel smoker and old Weber kettle

• Action_Hank
    Action_Hank Posts: 54
    edited July 2017
    Options
    EggMcMic said:

Hell yeah!  I'm so glad nothing broke on the way.  I opted for the beers over extra packing material.  I'm sorta surprised it didn't explode in transit, it was definitely a snug fit...  Looks like my gamble paid off, Enjoy man! 

Edit: Oh and sorry about the Grippos not making it in the box.  I completely forgot to pack em. 
    "It's not the beard on the outside that counts, its the beard on the INSIDE."

LBGE   -   Lexington, KY
  • Action_Hank
    Options
     BBQ Christmas came today!!!!  Thanks so much @Chris8938 !  Very, very stoked.  You killed it!  I'll post up with some pics tomorrow.  I'm scrambling at the moment adding these new Wisconsin  treats to tonight's festivites! 

"It's not the beard on the outside that counts, its the beard on the INSIDE."

LBGE   -   Lexington, KY
  • northGAcock
    Options
    Legume said:
    @northGAcock you'll have to school me on grits, I've eaten them, never cooked them.  I just know from My Cousin Vinny they're probably not magic grits so they'll take more than 5 min to cook.
    Happy to assist. 

• Chris8938
    Chris8938 Posts: 156
    Options
     BBQ Christmas came today!!!!  Thanks so much @Chris8938 !  Very, very stoked.  You killed it!  I'll post up with some pics tomorrow.  I'm scrambling at the moment adding these new Wisconsin  treats to tonight's festivites! 

Glad everything made it ok!  Hope you enjoy everything.
    XL BGE, Lg BGE, MiniMax BGE, Mini BGE

Appleton, WI 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Woohoo!!!!!  Got home from vacation late last night and found @fiver29 's full package waiting on my doorstep right on schedule!

Very stoked with the generosity.  I'm not sure if I should drink this bourbon barrel syrup on the rocks or on pancakes.

Lot's of great local Ohio BBQ treats and being that I'm just about out of rub and love hot sauce, I can tell you where I'm going to start.   Or maybe I'll make ribs and just use a little of everything.  Thanks again, John.  Very well packed as well.  Where do you get all those foam envelopes that seem perfect for wrapping bottles?

And thank you @cazzy for continuing to organize this fun event.

Hmmmm, maybe I'll just grill some hot dogs.  That Indian's ballpark mustard is staring me down.
    LBGE/Maryland