Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Where to eat in San Antonio?

SciAggie
SciAggie Posts: 6,481
I'll be at the ISTE conference all next week in San Antonio. I'm staying within walking distance of the convention center and the river walk. Are there any "don't miss" places on the river or nearby? Other suggestions welcome also. 
Coleman, Texas
Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
"Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                      YukonRon

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    It was all the way back in 1990 but I remember eating at a German place near the Riverwalk. The name escapes me right now.
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    If I'm ever down there. It's going to be all Mexican food

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• SciAggie
    I always wander along the river walk and just find a place. We have been to Mi Tierra several times - just looking for new ideas. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Paging @Foghorn

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    It's a chain, but great food and you've probably tried it...PAPPADEAUX. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Breakfast: Magnolia Pancake Haus
    Lunch: 2M Barbecue
    Dinner: Pico de Gallo
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SciAggie
    @cazzy Thanks. Are you in SA?
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,937
    Uber to Austin 
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cazzy
    Gunther House is also a great brunch or lunch spot.  Thai Dee and Tong's Thai (get the spring rolls) are good Thai spots.  If you're into Pho, hit up Pho Nguyen in the Stone Oak area.  Wild Fish is another great dinner spot.  
  • cazzy
    SciAggie said:
    @cazzy Thanks. Are you in SA?

lived there for most of my life.  Moved to Houston/Katy 2 years ago.
  • SciAggie
    Uber to Austin 
    That's funny. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Mi Tierra. Most of the river walk is crap for tourists. 
  • SciAggie
    Mi Tierra. Most of the river walk is crap for tourists. 
    That's why I reached out. I ate lunch at Boudro's a couple of years ago and it was good. This place will spoil a person into always looking for a better experience. First world problems, I know...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • With the sh!t you cook I'm surprised you are even able to eat out at all. I'd be pissed off every where I tried to go. 

Little Rock, AR

• cazzy
    Rosario's is also a good Mexican spot!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    If I recall right didn't Valentina's move closer to SA a few months ago?  If so, I would make that road trip.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    lousubcap said:
    If I recall right didn't Valentina's move closer to SA a few months ago?  If so, I would make that road trip.
    Closer by only a mile or so.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,322
    edited June 2017
    Well, I tried... ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SciAggie
    With the sh!t you cook I'm surprised you are even able to eat out at all. I'd be pissed off every where I tried to go. 
    Lol, thanks - I can't haul all my cr@p with me, so I gotta eat somewhere...
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Tettletime
    Tettletime Posts: 52
    edited June 2017
    It was all the way back in 1990 but I remember eating at a German place near the Riverwalk. The name escapes me right now.
    I believe you're referring to Schilo's. We ear breakfast there every morning when we visit San Antonio.

In regards to the OP, dining on the riverwalk is just sort of "meh." Casa Rio is probably the most popular spot on the riverwalk, but every time I eat there I leave disappointed.

Mi Tierra or La Margarita in the Market Square are much better than what you'll find on the riverwalk. You can take a trolly to the market square from the convention center.
  • Tettletime
    Tettletime Posts: 52
    Just re-read that you've been to SA a bunch before, sorry for the useless advice above, lol. There's this place called the Alamo though, it's like a really old church you should check out. It's where James Bowie invented Texas or something.
  • pgar171
    pgar171 Posts: 11
    Guajillos is my recommendation to most people.  Not Tex-Mex, but central and southern Mexican foot:  grilled meat with cheese, the hottest salsa you will every try and very good fish dishes. The best fideo soup I have ever had.  a bit of a hole in the wall but well worth it.  If you want to stay in the down town area, I would highly recommend the local upscale steak house Bohannans.  great food.  Also, Little Rhine steak house and The Fig Tree next door.  both are on the river walk. my .02 
  • SciAggie
    @pgar171 Thanks. @Tettletime Yeah, there was that one dude with the big knife and another feller with a coon skin cap... Seems I've heard of them boys. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • pgar171 said:
    Guajillos is my recommendation to most people.  Not Tex-Mex, but central and southern Mexican foot:  
    Could wrap it in bacon and I still aint eatin' no mexican foot. 

Little Rock, AR

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Pico de Gallo is really good.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Uber to Austin 
    Uber wouldn't drive 80 miles to Austin w/ no guarantee of a return fair, "champ". 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,937
    Uber to Austin 
    Uber wouldn't drive 80 miles to Austin w/ no guarantee of a return fair, "champ". 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    edited June 2017
    Boudro's. Have them make the guacamole tableside. I never liked guac until I had guac there. Everything is outstanding. The @cazzy already gave a lot of good advice. And Little Rhein is great but pricey.  The main thing is to avoid the Mexican food on the Riverwalk. Pretty much any Mexican restaurant in town is great - unless it is on the Riverwalk...  Gunther House is awesome. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SciAggie
    @Foghorn Thank you. 
    Coleman, Texas
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • krames
    krames Posts: 70
    If you are going to be downtown I would recommend checking out the following places:

Casa Rio - Mexican. It's the oldest and most iconic restaurant on the Riverwalk. I think it's pretty good.
    The Esquire Tavern - Gastropub with excellent cocktails.
    Zinc - It's a wine bar that serves a little bit of everything. (I love the burger). It is owned by the same people that own Budros.
    Bella on the River - Mediterranean. 

I will say that there is a lot of garbage on the riverwalk so choose wisely and avoid MICHELINO’S and the county line the plague.

If you want to stray from the river walk you can head to Southtown (might require a cab)

La Frite Belgian Bistro - good mussels 
    Rosario’s Mexican Cafe Y Cantina - Good Mexican
    Frank - sausages
     Hot Joy - Asian Fusion
    Battalion - Italian in an old fire house. It's amazing.
    B&D Ice House - pretty decent BBQ

You might also want to hit up the Friendly Spot and La Tuna for beers afterward. (Both ice houses)

You could also head up to the Pearl (by river taxi or cab). There are a lot of great restaurants there.

Cured - Charcuterie. Try their pig cheek poutine.
    The Granary - made Texas Monthly's top 50 BBQ spots. They do elevated BBQ in the evening but you can get their market place which is regular BBQ.
    La Gloria - Mexican street food
    IL SOGNO OSTERIA - amazing Italian (make a reservation) - New American
    Super - New American
    SOUTHERLEIGH FINE FOOD & BREWERY

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any u