Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking Question

B747crew
B747crew Posts: 158
I've tried twice now to use CI on the egg where I melt a stick of butter add 1/2 C brown sugar a dash of cinnamon and pecans    THEN  did the Pineapple upside down cake recipe and today tried  cinnamon buns on top. Both times indirect at 350 for the Upside down cake and 400 for the buns.Temps were spot on .  Both cooked per instructions. Both times I've scorched the sugar/butter and ruined the batch.. Anyone that can help me here please chime in.  
  Add the pizza stone?  Cook on a two level ?

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Are you cooking direct?
    I would try indirect for the baking part with a spacer between your stone and cast iron pan. You can melt your butter and stuff with cast iron directly on the stone. Just add your spacer for the baking.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • B747crew
    Photo Egg said:
    Are you cooking direct?
    I would try indirect for the baking part with a spacer between your stone and cast iron pan. You can melt your butter and stuff with cast iron directly on the stone. Just add your spacer for the baking.
    Indirect .. You think adding the ceramic stone under the CI on the grid would do the trick ?
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Even at indirect I'd place on a grid above the PS

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • B747crew
    edited June 2017
    Even at indirect I'd place on a grid above the PS
    My set up was plate setter legs up then the grid 
    with the CI on the Grid. I'm guessing I need the stone on top of the grid and cook on that. My wife says elevate it on the two tier rack cause you don't cook on lower shelves in an oven... makes sense.

• Photo Egg
    edited June 2017
    Your wife is right .
    I would do platesetter legs down. Melt your stuff with CI directly on platesetter. Add a spacer on top your platesetter for air gap then your CI for the actual bake. The air gap will stop the bottom of your pan from getting to hot. The elevation will give you better radiant heat from your dome. I found a couple old gas grill grates from an old oven cook top stove but anything will work. 3-4 large nuts, 3/4" brass pipe elbows, old set of BGE feet, rolled up aluminum balls.
    You will be good.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    B747crew said:
    Indirect .. You think adding the ceramic stone under the CI on the grid would do the trick ?
    Absolutely it will help. DMW suggested something similar to this to me a few years ago. It really changed the ballgame for me. I can now turn out Stromboli with the very best of them. A very special thanks again to @DMW for suggesting it. 
    They say a picture is worth a thousand words. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    B747crew said:
    nice
    Thanks buddy.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    B747crew said:
    I've tried twice now to use CI on the egg where I melt a stick of butter add 1/2 C brown sugar a dash of cinnamon and pecans    THEN  did the Pineapple upside down cake recipe and today tried  cinnamon buns on top. Both times indirect at 350 for the Upside down cake and 400 for the buns.Temps were spot on .  Both cooked per instructions. Both times I've scorched the sugar/butter and ruined the batch.. Anyone that can help me here please chime in.  
      Add the pizza stone?  Cook on a two level ?
    This may not work but what about flipping it upside down so the brown sugar is on top instead of on bottom?

Not everything matches to oven cooking but keep at it and it'll be worth it!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • B747crew
    Maybe could work... was trying for a topping like pecan cinnamon buns

• I use a pizza stone with 4 scrunched up balls of tinfoil to create an air space under the CI.
    Happily egging on my original large BGE since 1996... now the owner of 5 eggs. Call me crazy, everyone else does!

3 Large, 1 Small, 1 well-used Mini
  • B747crew
    edited June 2017
    I use a pizza stone with 4 scrunched up balls of tinfoil to create an air space under the CI.
    I'm going to do just that.. thanks for the tip Question do you just put the balls of tinfoil under the CI or do you put a second  pizza stone on the balls and then the CI on that??
  • Photo Egg
    B747crew said:
    I use a pizza stone with 4 scrunched up balls of tinfoil to create an air space under the CI.
    I'm going to do just that.. thanks for the tip Question do you just put the balls of tinfoil under the CI or do you put a second  pizza stone on the balls and then the CI on that??
    Put your CI skillet on top your spacers. Same setup for pizza except put your pizza stone on top the spacers. You want airflow for heat, but not direct contact heat from the fire or extremely hot barrier piece like placing cast iron directly on platesetter.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    How about the ceramic spacers on the CGS site?  Anyone use these?
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • B747crew
    Photo Egg said:
    B747crew said:
    Put your CI skillet on top your spacers. Same setup for pizza except put your pizza stone on top the spacers. You want airflow for heat, but not direct contact heat from the fire or extremely hot barrier piece like placing cast iron directly on platesetter.
    Got it... I'm going to give it a try later today I believe. Thanks again

• Photo Egg
    SSQUAL612 said:
    How about the ceramic spacers on the CGS site?  Anyone use these?
    Yes, they would work perfect.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Hope you get a good result! 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf