Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good BBQ in DC and NYC????

Options

Comments

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Word on the street is that hill country BBQ is slammin', but I haven't been personally. They have both a NYC and D.C. locations 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    BrisketTown in Brooklyn is amazing.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    DMW said:
    Seconded.  It's Delaney BBQ though.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Head up to Baltimore if you can, for pit beef. Bryan Voltaggio does BBQ at Vanish Brewery in Lucketts, VA but that will be a 45 minute car ride from D.C. proper. The best BBQ in D.C. is just "ok". Maybe Smoke and Barrel, but they are better known for their beer. If you want a D.C.- based food, it has to be wings and mumbo sauce.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    johnnyp said:
    Word on the street is that hill country BBQ is slammin', but I haven't been personally. They have both a NYC and D.C. locations 
    Hill Country is meh and priced like they think they are Franklin. Last time I went, brisket was 26 or 27/lb. Sausage was good, but then again, they import it from Texas. I haven't been I a while so maybe they've improved.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    DMW said:
    Bummer, looks like they closed.
    http://www.delaneybbq.com/

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    DMW said:
    DMW said:
    Bummer, looks like they closed.
    http://www.delaneybbq.com/

Well raise my rent!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Is adam perry langs bbq restaurant any good?  Ive never heard anybody comment. 

Little Rock, AR

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    While not a BBQ restaurant or joint I can highly recommend Founding Farmers as a meatcentric restaurant. http://www.wearefoundingfarmers.com/menus/
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
     be wings and mumbo sauce.
    I would like more information on this please.
    NOLA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    I heard the ribs at Freddy’s BBQ Joint in D.C. were pretty good. Unfortunately the place closed a couple  years  seasons ago. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lowandslow
    lowandslow Posts: 122
    Options
    Mighty Quinn's in NYC.  Brisket is amazing.  Almost Franklin quality.
    Hasbrouck Heights, NJ

XL Egg
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Options
    I'm from NY and like Dinosaur BBQ in Harlem. I didn't love Hill Country but hear great things about Might Quinn and Hometown (Red Hook Bklyn). Mabel's in Williamsburg was pretty good. I believe Brisket Town did close. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Where in NYC? Takes a week to go from one side of town to the other.

There are two Dinosaur BBQs in NYC. My son loves their stuff. All I ever tried was their pulled pork sammich in their original Syracuse location. Not bad, but mine's better. =) Have not been to the NYC stores. Started out as a biker joint in Syracuse. 

700 W 125th St, New York, NY, Just off the West Side Highway in Harlem.
    604 Union St, Brooklyn, NY, not too far from Barclay's Center
    http://www.dinosaurbarbque.com

Blue Smoke was pretty good. Been there a couple of times though it's been a while. As I recall, some guy from St Louis moved to NY and opened a Q joint. He's been around for quite a few years. A bit upscale for a Q joint. :)
    116 E 27th St, New York, NY. I think they have another location too.
    https://www.bluesmoke.com

You might check this out. I haven't read any of them, but there are a lot of articles about NYC Q here...
    http://www.seriouseats.com/search?term=bbq+in+nyc

If I was gonna be asking about where to eat in NYC, I'd be asking about pizza, not Q. As for DC, my condolences for even having to be there. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options

If I was gonna be asking about where to eat in NYC, I'd be asking about pizza, not Q. As for DC, my condolences for even having to be there. 
    Guy Fieri's place has gotten favorable reviews.  ;)

This is akin to going to Mexico City and searching for a Neapolitan.

So many better ethnic options in NYC, traditional BBQ would be at the bottom of my list.

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2017
    Options
    If I were in NYC I would have to pay a visit to Katz for pastrami.

https://www.katzsdelicatessen.com/

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Hill Country in DC was pretty good when I went there. 

My wife went to Founding Farmer and loved it so +1 to that earlier recommendation. 

For my money the best dining experience in DC is at Brasserie Beck. Largest selection of Belgian Beer I've ever seen. Ask for Dean, the beer sommelier. PM me and I'll give you his cell number or text him for you. The Belgian chef who owns the place puts out some great food. His higher end restaurant wins awards. This is his beer joint. Great muscles, pork shank, etc. 

Save room for the brioche bread pudding that includes cherries that are soaked in Belgian beer, then covered with Belgian chocolate.  Trust me. People that "don't eat dessert" eat this dessert. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    @natureboy Do you have a DC recommendation? 
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I heard the ribs at Freddy’s BBQ Joint in D.C. were pretty good. Unfortunately the place closed a couple  years  seasons ago. :)

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    There's good BBQ around the DC area, but not so renowned that it's legendary.  More like, a chef opens a place and it's good for a few years and then it gets franchised out and starts serving dry meat that people still rave about from remembering when it was new and fresh.

Black Hog BBQ is quite good, though.  They are outside the city in Frederick and Urbana, though.  I don't think it's worth traveling outside the city, but you may drive past one depending how you are traveling around.

I'd agree with Eggcelsior that Baltimore is more known for pit beef.  It's not good everywhere, though.  More often than not the smell coming from the place is good but I'm served bland tough meat with horseradish mayo.  However, when it's good, it's excellent.

All that said, a Google search just turned up THIS LIST of DC's best BBQ joints.  As I don't live or work in DC I didn't know about any of them, and have to say some of them look quite good. If you are going to be downtown, check out the ones that look to be casual, one location, non-franchise.  They're always the best.

LBGE/Maryland
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    I've got to disagree with Founding Farmers recs.  It's OK, but certainly not as good as other places in DC or good enough to justify some of the wait times.  If you want average food around the White House, just go to Old Ebbitt Grill for the experience of going to Old Ebbitt Grill.  

I know people on both sides of the Hill Country debate, I've only ever had the chopped brisket sandwich and it was fine (tough to screw up chopping brisket, tossing with sauce, and putting on bread), but adding a beer and tip it was pushing $25 for a lunch.

Mumbo sauce is the bomb.  I'll echo about DC what others are saying about NY - both have tons of superior options.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD