Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smash burgers on a BS are GOOD...but a return to a BGE burger is BETTER!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,893
edited June 2017 in EggHead Forum
It has been a while since I have egged a burger directly on my small egg and tonight was the return! Just to prove to the skeptics present here are my completed decked out burgers!

And if you even care - these were my version of Peoria's very own Gebby Burgers EXCEPT I didn't grill my onions tonight. BUT otherwise yes - 3 types of cheeses melted on mine. 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    Noting better than a simple burger. Great looking eats. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    My family loves egged burgers over any other cooker I use. Nice job. 
  • OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Options
    If their's look anything like yours, I'll have to stop by the next time I
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • OmahaOne
    OmahaOne Posts: 154
    Options
    I'm in Peoria...
    XL BGE - Indianapolis, IN
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    I agree. I like regular egged burgers better than smash burgers. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    Variety is always good. Those look terrific.
    Stillwater, MN
  • RRP
    Options
    OmahaOne said:
    I'm in Peoria...
    If so then you need to realize Gebby's is unique in that they are only open from 6AM until 2PM! Yup - only 8 hours everyday- plus don't go in there say at 1:45 and try to order much of anything that needs to be cooked or grilled! Ordering some pie or cake and coffee is fine! 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I am a big fan of the BGE grilled burger. Fat and juicy is just another great burger. They are all great.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    No Blackstone owner here but tough to beat a "Big Kahuna Burger" from Samuel L. Jackson and Pulp Fiction.  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Those are some great looking burgers. The finished burger to bun size is damn near perfect. I love smash burgers but sometimes it is great to come back to a good grilled burger. I would love a combination of all the fixin's from both those burgers in the picture. Lettuce, tomato, 3 cheese, onions, and pickles...yes please...all of the above. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Glad to hear to are putting the small to good use Ron.  At my house we prefer a burger done in hot a$$ cast iron for the seared crunchiness that is only achieved from a flat or cast iron.   I don't smash them.  Not knocking yours just a personal preference,ok?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    No Blackstone owner here but tough to beat a "Big Kahuna Burger" from Samuel L. Jackson and Pulp Fiction.  ;)
    Different than a Royal w Cheese? 

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Nice! Did us some bs smashers tonight. Couldn't help but want to fire the egg instead!
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    Options
    I guess I have the best of both worlds using my 1/2 moon CI griddle that fits in my XL and makes GREAT smash burgers as well as a "BGE burger" at the same time.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I heard the Big Kahuna  Burger is a real tasty burger!
    Flint, Michigan
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I just bought a round, flat, cast iron pan from the Lodge factory outlet store, and burgers will be the very first cook I will do with it on the XL.
    Did not mean to spend a bunch of money, $230.00 later, I got a few pieces. My Beautiful Wife, failed to be impressed with me that day.
    Cool store, sold Yeti (Yup) and The BGE too.
    I had to turn my prayer rug around to face that store. I truly had a moment.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I
    One item will make it better: Kings Hawaiian Hamburger Buns. 
    That and this guy coming over to cook with

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I honestly don't even remember the last time I egged a burger. Pretty sure the last one was on the Mini and it got devastated two years ago! Sad, but true. I don't eat burgers that often and I've been smashing them lately anyway. First, on a griddle on the stove, lately the Blackstone. I prefer smashing, hands down.

@Mickey, I finally started seeing King's Hawaiian buns around here. Always wanted to do Jay's shrimpburgers correctly, now I can! Hope @Beli is doing well. Never hear from him any more!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Mickey
    Options
    I honestly don't even remember the last time I egged a burger. Pretty sure the last one was on the Mini and it got devastated two years ago! Sad, but true. I don't eat burgers that often and I've been smashing them lately anyway. First, on a griddle on the stove, lately the Blackstone. I prefer smashing, hands down.

@Mickey, I finally started seeing King's Hawaiian buns around here. Always wanted to do Jay's shrimpburgers correctly, now I can! Hope @Beli is doing well. Never hear from him any more!
    Will see him Thur in Mexico (with LawnRanger and wives). I will tell him hello for you and ask why no posts. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Different than a Royal w Cheese? 

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • RRP
    Options
    Mickey said:

Will see him Thur in Mexico (with LawnRanger and wives). I will tell him hello for you and ask why no posts. 
    say howdy for me as well!!!
  • Mickey
    Options
    RRP said:
    Mickey said:

say howdy for me as well!

Will do buddy. Looking at a fun weekend. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    i like the simplicity and quickness and taste of smashed but an egged burger is darn good too.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Mickey said:

Thanks. Sounds like a great time.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    Mickey said:

Thanks. Sounds like a great time.
    His backyard is a vacation destination in itself!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Mickey said:
    I
    Looking at that picture, it hit me that something's missing: the cloud of unpleasant smoke from burning fat that I have pretty much any time I cook burgers on the Egg.  It's not awful, and I still like burgers on the Egg, but there's always a faint taste of that burnt fat smoke, and I wish I could get rid of it.

Aside from using really lean beef, which makes the burgers dry, how do you guys prevent that smoke from happening?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Mickey said:
    I
    Looking at that picture, it hit me that something's missing: the cloud of unpleasant smoke from burning fat that I have pretty much any time I cook burgers on the Egg.  It's not awful, and I still like burgers on the Egg, but there's always a faint taste of that burnt fat smoke, and I wish I could get rid of it.

Aside from using really lean beef, which makes the burgers dry, how do you guys prevent that smoke from happening?
    hotter temps, thinner burgers, quicker cook, and keeping the quantity small works for me. clean burning fire, worst burger ive ever made was after a direct chicken cook. also im a one flipper on the egg, no need to splash more grease down there with multiple flips
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Mickey said:
    I

These were high fat burgers. They were 100% ground up brisket.
    I cook at 400 and down low as you can see.. Never had a problem with smoke.
    Now that was a one time deal with my wife, rest of the time is 85/90% for burgers and they are fine just not THAT FINE.

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    hotter temps, thinner burgers, quicker cook, and keeping the quantity small works for me. clean burning fire, worst burger ive ever made was after a direct chicken cook. also im a one flipper on the egg, no need to splash more grease down there with multiple flips
    Sounds practical, thanks!  Unfortunately, I like thin smash burgers pretty well, but the burgers I really love are thick ones grilled over charcoal, and that may be why I have more trouble with smoke.  I will say it's been a while since I tried cooking them with the dome open, might try that again next time I do burgers.

Mickey said:
    I cook at 400 and down low as you can see.. Never had a problem with smoke...
    I don't get it -- why do I have smoke, then, and you don't?  Your burgers look about the size and shape I usually make, but especially after the flip, there's always some visible (and tastable) smoke.  Do you usually cook burgers with the dome open?
  • Mickey
    Options
    Theophan said:
    Sounds practical, thanks!  Unfortunately, I like thin smash burgers pretty well, but the burgers I really love are thick ones grilled over charcoal, and that may be why I have more trouble with smoke.  I will say it's been a while since I tried cooking them with the dome open, might try that again next time I do burgers.

Mickey said:
    I cook at 400 and down low as you can see.. Never had a problem with smoke...
    I don't get it -- why do I have smoke, then, and you don't?  Your burgers look about the size and shape I usually make, but especially after the flip, there's always some visible (and tastable) smoke.  Do you usually cook burgers with the dome open?
    No to the dome being open at all. I also cook all chicken and turkey direct. I use a good grade lump and hot fire (chicken/turkey @ 400). 
    About every year or so I do pull out the ceramics so it gets cleaned and aligned (only cleaning they get). 
    What do you start yours with?? I use a Mapp torch on the Mini and a Weed burner in the Larges and Mini-Max.