Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smash burgers on a BS are GOOD...but a return to a BGE burger is BETTER!

Options
2»

Comments

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I've been using Rockwood lump, lately, and I light with a Map torch (which I really like, but a flying cinder just burned a hole in a favorite shirt -- might have to rethink it, dunno).

There's no doubt that the smoke I'm talking about comes from the burgers, not the lump or anything else.  Usually they're OK on the first side, but especially after I flip them, and they've usually had a little liquid grease building up on top, then on the second side, I'm getting some burnt fat smoke.  It's not very heavy, and the burgers are good, but there's a little bit of that burnt-fat flavor and I sure wish I could get rid of it.  I don't remember having that problem with my old gas grill, and wonder if gassers might be better for burgers.

It's driving me crazy that your picture doesn't seem have any smoke at all in it. I am very curious.  I think I'd be fine if I used lean beef, but I'm not crazy about lean beef burgers.