Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2017 EggHead Rub & Sauce Exchange

Options

Comments

• Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    Dumb question, I am pretty sure I signed up for the regular exchange, not the noob one. Any way for me to check?  I participated last year. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Greedygoat
    Greedygoat Posts: 134
    Options
    Click the link in the first post and you can see if you've signed up.
    XL and a Mini-Max.
    Boca Raton, FL
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    Started shopping today! Some local, some favorites, some new. Lots more to buy. Looking forward to it!
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Advanced apologies to my receiving elf but I started and finished today. Will not be here for the pick and have to mail immediately after we get home as I leave for work right away so they are done and I may not be able to honor their wishlist. But if they are disappointed by what I have selected I will send them something after. But I highly doubt they will be disappointed. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    gmac said:
    Advanced apologies to my receiving elf but I started and finished today. Will not be here for the pick and have to mail immediately after we get home as I leave for work right away so they are done and I may not be able to honor their wishlist. But if they are disappointed by what I have selected I will send them something after. But I highly doubt they will be disappointed. 
    Honestly getting surpirises is the best part of the run exchange.  I'm sure your draw will be happy! 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    In! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I'm not participating but based on recent USPS performance if you are sending to the GWN (aka Canada) and only want to spend real (not over the top $$) to get your package there, plan on around 7-10 business days for the journey.  And my recent experience was not a cross-country exercise.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    bump....
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    cazzy said:
    If you participated previously and have drawn a Canadian, please send me a massage.

Sent you a message on Canada
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    Just in case, what is the best way to send a package to Canada? US Postal Service, UPS, etc?
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @Gulfcoastguy - as noted above, I ended up using USPS.  My going in intentions were UPS but you have to establish a "business" account with them before they will ship the package.  Even if you select "abandon the package" if it comes to that and they somehow fail to acknowledge your desires and ship it back to you, you will be charged for that event, thus the account.
    The USPS did not require such an account.  I would think that time-wise they are pretty close for the standard shipping rate.  But I did not get a quote from UPS as I did not set up the account.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Okay just as well, USPS is closer and the drawing hasn't been held yet.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Just in case, what is the best way to send a package to Canada? US Postal Service, UPS, etc?

Depends on size and weight. Usually UPS if it weighs over 3-4 pounds
  • gmac
    Options
    Still cheaper to send here from the US than for us to send to the US. But like I said, it's fun and I don't care. Would prefer to get stuff from away rather than get stuff I can go down the road and get myself. 
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    I'm in and done enough shopping to meet the rules. Will do more this weekend or tomorrow.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Yeah Im over the minimum but still got stuff to buy. 

Little Rock, AR

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    The box is packed, just awaiting the address. Any special request will have to be in replacement of something in the box, not another bottle will fit in the large priority mail box. I think I made some very good choices though.
  • stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options
    Would love to participate but I'm worried about the rule that says "new rubs and sauces only please".  How do I know what's new?  What if I disappoint my receiver? I have my favs but don't know if they are totally new or maybe others have tried. 
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    It's hard to pick up on sarcasm on here @stv8r but in case you're serious...

Pretty sure that means don't clean out your old spice cabinet and send stuff you didn't like. Just new, sealed spices. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• stv8r
    stv8r Posts: 1,127
    Options

Pretty sure that means don't clean out your old spice cabinet and send stuff you didn't like. Just new, sealed spices. 

No sarcasm intended at all.  Took it to mean new and untried to everyone, not just new and sealed lol.   My bad.  I'd love to participate
  • lousubcap
    Options
    The key factor is trying to find local goodies that quite likely are not available in the receiver's locale.  That's the true bonus in the exchange.
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    What @lousubcap said, for instance there is a local company in my area that makes sauces and rubs I know aren't outside my state.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• gmac
    Options
    stv8r said:

No sarcasm intended at all.  Took it to mean new and untried to everyone, not just new and sealed lol.   My bad.  I'd love to participate
    Also meaning not homemade. I make a mean hot sauce but I would never send it just in case someone got sick. Not gonna happen but sticking with purchased, preferably local to the sender let's everyone be safe and happy. 

I usually send stuff my family and I like, I try not to Guinea pig folks so sort of the opposite of what you were thinking. Stuff you like is probably gonna be very new to me :)
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    I did notice that 71 participated last year and only 48 registered this year. Maybe there are a lot in the Noob exchange?
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    Options
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options

@GulfCoastGuy many are probably still working through the haul they received in last years exchange.  If they were to do it again, they would be inundated with rubs/sauces they may not get to for a long time. 

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Well with the latest addition and adding in the NOOB Exchange it is getting closer. Still nearly 3 more days to sign up also . 
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    When the pairings happen, are you usually paired with someone in a different part of the country, or does that matter?  Asking because I don't want to buy something if they can already get it. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • lousubcap
    Options
    Here's the quote from the opening post:  FWIW-  (And I think there is a conscious effort to get distance beyond "same state").
    • To ensure you don't receive a local product, you will not be paired with anyone within your state.  In addition Canadians will not be paired up with fellow Canucks.  
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options
    I got excited earlier when an email popped up saying I was paired up, then the second came through and said so sorry you have been unpaired. Damn tease