Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kamado Joe Warranty problems

Options

Has anyone on the forum dealt with Kamado Joe warranty replacements?   I have had ZERO issues with my BGE XL, and use it 3-5 times per week.  My 2015 Kamado Joe only gets used on average once a week, and experienced a firebox crack in May.  I submitted the paperwork for the warranty, and they did contact me on May 24th to get pictures of the cracked firepot and the actual egg.  They had assigned a claim number.  I sent the attached pictures, but have not heard back from them.  I have e-mailed them several times to get a "update" on this claim, but no answers.  Not sure what is going on? Perhaps some of you can shed some insight on how the warranty process works with KJ?  Don't have a local KJ dealer, so have to work thru the process on line.  It seems it should be straightforward, as i did register in in April 2015 when I got it.  Had the e-mail back from them acknowledging the waranty registration in April 2015. 

Guess this is why I purchased my BGE locally.  BGE dealer is 1 mile from my house!

Comments

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Give them a call and see what's going on.  It shouldn't take long and they will ship it to your door.  They may be sending you the new fire box, hard to say.  They will take care of you.   I've used my kj warranty with out any issue just a little slow to respond.   

Same me has happened to me with local BGE dealers.  Platesetter cracked called them to see what was needed.  Sent photos 3 weeks later got a response that they had submitted 2week later, I got the part.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    That's funny stuff
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Imagine if this was posted on a Friday night ... it'd be mayhem.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Reltserw
    Reltserw Posts: 45
    Options
    The firebox on my JR cracked in Dec of last year and I didn't get my replacement until Feb/March of this year. The process was a bit long, which included multiple emails and phone calls each month until I received the replacement part. They attributed the delay to the holiday season and production. The delay didn't bother me all that much, as the crack was hairline and to this day, I still have the replacement firebox in the box. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options

Has anyone on the forum dealt with Kamado Joe warranty replacements?   I have had ZERO issues with my BGE XL, and use it 3-5 times per week.  My 2015 Kamado Joe only gets used on average once a week, and experienced a firebox crack in May.  I submitted the paperwork for the warranty, and they did contact me on May 24th to get pictures of the cracked firepot and the actual egg.  They had assigned a claim number.  I sent the attached pictures, but have not heard back from them.  I have e-mailed them several times to get a "update" on this claim, but no answers.  Not sure what is going on? Perhaps some of you can shed some insight on how the warranty process works with KJ?  Don't have a local KJ dealer, so have to work thru the process on line.  It seems it should be straightforward, as i did register in in April 2015 when I got it.  Had the e-mail back from them acknowledging the waranty registration in April 2015. 

Guess this is why I purchased my BGE locally.  BGE dealer is 1 mile from my house!

@HeavyG help a guy out, give a call to your boy at KJ
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    Will give them a call tomorrow afternoon.  Last e-mail on May 24th showed Shavon Talley working on the warranty claim.  Guess I would never have thought it coud take several months!!!
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    I swear to Christ BGE should send a bill to Kamado Joe for forum services rendered.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Freaking hilarious 
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I think you mean the members of this forum should send KJ a bill.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Have you tried the KJ forum?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Pure gold.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options

Coming to the BGE forum to ask about a Kamado Joe warranty issue - "That's a bold strategy Cotton".

They used to, and perhaps still do, use a case management system that wasn't very user friendly. I would take a very close look at the email you received from them that gave you a claim number. If they are still using the same system there will be a link in very small print size that says something like "review case status here". Clicking that link will take you to a web page that will give you the status of your claim. If that can't be found/doesn't work then you could:

Go to their Facebook page and leave a post asking about your problem - https://www.facebook.com/KamadoJoe/

...they'll respond.

Or, call their corporate number - (877) 215-6299

Your fire bowl is still usable so don't let that crack bother you. I've had a cracked fire bowl in my Jr. for two years now and haven't even bothered with a warranty claim yet.

When you do get your new fire bowl it will likely be their new segmented fire bowl which should minimize any future problems with cracks.

KJ support usually goes smoothly - you just happened to have a bit of bad luck this time.

If you have not checked out the kamadoguru.com site you should. Lot's of active KJ users there. There is also a good KJ Facebook group you might want to check out - https://www.facebook.com/groups/500015733460665/

If you still can't get any satisfaction from Kamado Joe I'd go over to the Primo Forum to ask for some help. :)

@Legume - haha

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Options
    Naahh...that place is a desert. I don't have a clue why KJ even keeps it up.

One will get more help from the kamadoguru.com forum or the KJ official Facebook page or the KJ Users Group Facebook page.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    With the KJ design change it will be interesting to see how this is handler.
    Do they still have a back stock of old style parts?
    Will you get the new, multi piece system as a replacement?
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • rekameohs
    rekameohs Posts: 263
    Options
    Photo Egg said:

Will you get the new, multi piece system as a replacement?
    I had the same problem.  I can't remember if I filled out something on their web site or send them an e-mail, but I got a response the next day asking for pictures.   They then replied saying a replacement would be sent soon.   It did take several weeks for the material to arrive.   It is a complete replacement, using a multi-piece system.
    Raleigh, NC
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    I think my claim took about 7-10 days before the replacement arrived at my house. This is from my initial contact.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    It's a Chinese supply chain, so if ain't here or on the ocean, it's gonna be awhile.

With how they are growing, my guess is warranty items will be hit and miss.  Dealers can have the same problem with new inventory.  

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    Options
    It's just a crack, keep cooking on it. I've seen them replacing all new warranty claims with the new multi piece fire bowl. Be patient and they will get it to you. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    call bruce at the mothership =)=)=)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    call bruce at the mothership =)=)=)
    You're a day late and a dollar short on this joke. See above comments. 
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited June 2017
    Options

I just got an e-mail from KJ stating that it is shipping via FedEx, and they sent tracking numbers! It's the multi-piece firebox, and on the way.  Thanks to all that responded to my post, and the information provided.   

• Hungry Joe
    Hungry Joe Posts: 1,567
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Glad it worked out. I heard they were a little backed up because they are abandoning the old fire box for the new design which I feel is superior to the old one and its caused a delay that will last until supplies are adequate. 

FWIW, I feel it ok asking about cooking, comparisons, and opinions on the KJ line of products on this forum but warranty might be stretching it a bit. Mainly because folks on this forum with financial ties to BGE are not going to be much help with stuff like this. And it's understandable being this is a BGE owned forum.

Maybe you'll get better responses if you mention Blackstone in the post next time.

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Not to be insensitive but....
    Not our problem man :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • yljkt
    yljkt Posts: 799
    Options
    Eventually you will get the new design firebox mailed to your house. In the meantime cook on the cracked one. It's gonna be ok. KJ forum has been down for a few days. 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    It's a a BGE forum and didn't even post in the OT forum. Come on man. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat