Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Done dining out

Options
I took wife out for her birthday dinner to a local place we have been before, last time was amazing, this time it was just bad. Bland roasted oysters, bad deviled eggs, and horrible cocktails. How does a restaurant in the south screw up an old fashioned and deviled eggs? Anyone else feel the same? Sorry had to rant because the price of service didn't match up to quality. Back to the egg for quality food. We both avoided the steak because no restaurant has matched the egg output. The egg has spoiled me.
Franklin, Tn
LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

Comments

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Couldn't agree more.

I'll pay a fraction, and keep weirdos from handling what I eat.

Phoenix 
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I don't think I've ordered a steak at a restaurant in years. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • PoppasGrill
    PoppasGrill Posts: 356
    Options
    The only things my wife and I go out to eat for are breakfast at a buffet, sushi, and Indian food. Everything else taste better, usually, when made in the comfort of my own kitchen.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Every time we go out, we feel ripped off, and stupid, for even doing so. Why do we do it when we have Multiple BGEs, much better wine selection (at half or third of the cost), and no need for DD, to get home?
    Because we are stupid. That is why.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I much prefer my old fashioneds and deviled eggs to be made on my egg. Ha ha .

Seriously, I do agree. Dining out always a risk. Bad service, bad food, too slow , too loud , good but not worth the heavy price tag , etc etc. That being said , I can't say I won't do it anymore. Just not very often.
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited June 2017
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    I don't think I've ordered a steak at a restaurant in years. 
    So my family was on vacation last year and had a car issue while coming home. Ended up stuck overnight somewhere and we ate at a Longhorn just because we could walk from the hotel. While not better than mine, it was the best damn steak I've had at a restaraunt, including any $60 one I've ever been dumb enough to try. Just sayin. Totally unexpected .
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options
    Our water well went out on Saturday, so we have been eating out a lot more than normal. Last night we went to a place that has been around forever, but has changed names and owners a few years back. SERVICE WAS HORRIBLE- took her 10 minutes to finish writing the specials before she came over to take our order. Took another 10 for her to figure out they didn't have whatever drink my wife ordered. So my wife orders a beer, I watched it get sat down on the bar, 10 minutes later she brings it over. Then my wife says, she will just stick with the water- her reply- 'Are you sure, he just poured it'. Water glasses are sitting empty and food was sub par. Here's another place I won't be going back to.
    What the hell is wrong with servers these days- have a hard time finding one that will keep the water from drying out and actually giving a damn.

Thanks for starting the thread- I needed to vent. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Your point is well taken. I seldom eat out on choice. My bitness travels usually requires it....if I am going to eat that is. That said, I have some favorite BBQ spots and a few locals I enjoy on special occasion. Chains suck in my opinion.....support you local gems if you got them.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    Your point is well taken. I seldom eat out on choice. My bitness travels usually requires it....if I am going to eat that is. That said, I have some favorite BBQ spots and a few locals I enjoy on special occasion. Chains suck in my opinion.....support you local gems if you got them.
    This was a local gem that we use to love but due to this off night i doubt we will risk it again. Unfortunate for them. We always choose local over chain. 
    Franklin, Tn

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Every time we go out, we feel ripped off, and stupid, for even doing so. Why do we do it when we have Multiple BGEs, much better wine selection (at half or third of the cost), and no need for DD, to get home?
    Because we are stupid. That is why.
    The grub you put out, no need for any type of dinning buddy.  

I agree with you @TN_Sister_State.  About the only thing we'll go out to eat for is Mexican and Chinese, from only a few places.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    Maybe i can parlay this bad dinner into a minimax.... :)
    Franklin, Tn

• nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    Living in New Orleans I'll probably never stop dining out, but being able to produce the quality of food that I can now, it has definitely changed the types of places I go to.  I never go to steakhouses anymore. I try all of the new BBQ places once and have never gone back.  There's only one pizza place I'll go and that's only because I think it's as good/maybe a smidge better than what I can do, but they have a good happy hour with $7 pizza and $2 local drafts.  There's just too much good food here to ignore though. 
  • evie1370
    evie1370 Posts: 506
    Options
    We are in the midst of remodeling our kitchen. All I have now is a hot plate, microwave, toaster oven and the BGEs. Still only eat out about once a week as the food I cook, even non-BGE, is better and healthier than what I can get out. And I can cook and serve it a heck of a lot faster. So yea, I hear ya.

Medium BGE in Cincinnati OH.

"

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me. " Duke of Wellington, Battle of Waterloo.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Having Egg(s) and finding good butchers definitely makes many restaurants very disappointing. My cooking has improved with time, but I've also managed to eat at a few really good restaurant$ in the past few years (in a way, nice to not be feeding 4 hungry kids, 'cept for holidays). I've come to the conclusion that its not that my cooking is so great, its that a lot of restaurants are pretty awful.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    outside the egg its pretty much sandwiches im looking for. been sub shop shopping lately since focker posted his smoked turkey club. found some really good sandwiches. its really too much work gearing up for a chicken parm sandwich at home knowing the place down the street specializes in them. today its a 10 ounce hand packed burger with house cut fries =)

The Mexican PEPPER JACK CHEESE, JALAPENO, PICO DE GALLO, CORN SALSA, & CHORIZO
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • charliebatutis
    Options
    We eat out too much. I definitely love food off my grill but we also like the convenience of not having to cook or clean. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    There are a few things we still go out for rather than cooking at home but I do hate paying for a bad meal in a restaurant.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    We eat out too much. I definitely love food off my grill but we also like the convenience of not having to cook or clean. 
    This.  During the week, often too busy or didn't prep or just too damn tired.  Steak, ribs, wings, etc, I definitely avoid in restaurants, but I'm a fiend for a good happy hour dinner, great Mexican, Thai, sushi, etc.  I can make these at home, but it's alsi nice when everyone can order what they want.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I guess I'm lucky.  I go off-base for lunch every day and my "ladies" take care of me very well, and I'm usually out the door w/20% tip, under twelve dollars.  I always eat at local ethnic restaurants (Thai/chinese/japanese/mexican/ viet/argentinian/korean) and like many others said above, keep the steaks/ribs/ burgers/chops for home.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    last minute change, sriracha and avacado burger with fresh pico and pepper jack cheese med/rare. the fries were off the chart, been decades since i had fries so good
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @TN_Sister_State Was it the Boat House?
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    I've been waiting to see who would ask that question! ;)
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options
    if it were only a matter of quality (& cleanliness) of food there'd be no reason to ever go out, but there's that other factor that makes it irreplaceable, sit, order, enjoy being waited on without lifting a finger cept to pay the bill.  There's something gratifying about that whole experience that you just can't get at home. 

Yea, it helps when the food doesn't suck too but that's gonna happen from time to time even at our favorite places...
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    wbradking said:
    @TN_Sister_State Was it the Boat House?
    It was not but the last time we were there will probably be our last. It was Saffire in the factory.
    Franklin, Tn

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    We have 2 "go to " places that have never dissapointed.  They are fairly expensive but this one http://ivansrestaurant.com Is the only place that can grill a steak better than myself.  

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I had hit this point well before getting an egg.  Generally places we eat out at fall into one of these categories:

1) Places that make something I can beat, but not in the 10 minutes to take a different route home and run in for carry out.
    2) Places that are fine for a quick meal when we're running errands or on the road spmewhere.
    3) Places that make something I'm not going to do at home.
    4) Consistent, very nice, and very well regarded restaurants.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Options
    As many have pointed out, eating out is just not as good as we can do for ourselves. 

We spent 10 years on the road, full timing in our RV, and we both became quite good on our propane stove, convection microwave and Weber Q2000. Now that we have an Egg and full size grill, we continue to hone our skills. 

Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    If the food sucks, send it back. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I noticed most new restaurants in phoenix tend to focus on atmosphere and image..the phx restaurant scene is hyper competitive.  We do occaisionally hit some local spots that are well established and which serve quality without being price gougers,   but, for awesome steak, i have yet to find a steak anywhere that matches a prime ny, ribeye or filet that comes off the ci pan or ci grid of my big green egg....