Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- Trucks, What do you drive??

TideEggHead
TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
I am in the market for a new truck so I figured I'd see what some of y'all are driving while I'm at it! I've done a lot of research and will probably stay tundra just because I've had so much luck with mine! Here she is, we've been rocking out for 14 years with no problems at all except I had water leaking into my floorboard for a little while (fixed). She's been a great truck, totally reliable and I've never been left stranded. I just need something bigger for longer trips and when we have kids. 

Ive been looking at the new tundras but they are pretty expensive around here for me at least, I've also been eyeing the new Nissan titans (I like the 7 year 100k warranty). I am open to other brands besides Toyota. So what are some of you driving? Have you been happy with the truck? I want something reliable as I plan to keep this next one at least 10 years. Thanks guys!
LBGE
AL

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    I had the 06 Tundra and loved it. I bought a 16 Sierra last year as I wasn't convinced that the new Tundras were as good. They rank last in every truck shootout these days. New Tundras are terrible on gas and that led me to the GMC as well. 
  • TideEggHead
    @DoubleEgger Thanks for the input. You're totally right on the gas mileage, that's part of the reason I haven't pulled the trigger on one yet.
    LBGE
    AL
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    2004 tacoma 4 door 4x4 with 85k on her.  I'll keep it till it dies, if it ever does.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Chevrolet power 

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• DoubleEgger
    The Tundras are long overdue for a complete makeover. 
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742

05 taco with 150k miles I bought from a navy seal who took incredible care of it.

the Chevy in front of it was my 2014 Silverado rally edition that my dad bought from me. It was a fun truck 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    I have an 04 Siversdo step side I bought used 2 Years ago.  150k miles and runs like a champ.  Probably not helpful but stil...
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • 04 f-150. 210,000 and still hammering. Gonna buy a 2500hd soon. 

Little Rock, AR

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    2012 Nissan Frontier Pro4X with just over 5,000 miles.

Yeah...it's not a daily driver. :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• TideEggHead
    @ColtsFan @bgebrent I've also looked at the chevys and like the full 4 door version but most of those around here are over $40k. I'm hoping to keep it at $35k or less, I've seen some new f150's, Titans, and rams in that range. @slovelad I like the tacos too just not sure it's enough room in the back seat, me and the wife have long legs haha. I've got friends that love them. Thanks guys for the info especially the high mileage!
    LBGE
    AL
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    02 Cheby 2500HD, Duramax with an Allison. Great truck. Just replaced the problematic injectors...other than that have had 0 problems in the 105k I have had it. 
  • DoubleEgger
    @ColtsFan @bgebrent I've also looked at the chevys and like the full 4 door version but most of those around here are over $40k. I'm hoping to keep it at $35k or less, I've seen some new f150's, Titans, and rams in that range. @slovelad I like the tacos too just not sure it's enough room in the back seat, me and the wife have long legs haha. I've got friends that love them. Thanks guys for the info especially the high mileage!
    They discount the GMC/Chevy's heavily when they are on sale. You can find one in your price range. 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2017
    9-fo, Wildcat Blue, KY truck, made in IN, zero rust....pulls the 2 tons of fun around quite nicely.

She gets a little dirty,

and smokey, at times.

Paid off this year, plan on rebuilding both motor and tranny, or dropping a crate 350 in, eventually.  

Like Dierks sings, "wouldn't trade it in for a rocket".
    https://youtu.be/S-RFiS5U2nk
    And like Aldean, "If my truck could talk", lol
    https://youtu.be/wQHkqmivSH0
    Best of luck, my buddy has a black Tundra quad, beautifully solid $50K truck after rims and tires.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    2015 Chevy 1500 LTZ crew cab. Got all the bells and whistles and it rides like a car. I got the 100k mile bumper to bumper warranty also. 
  • I have a 2015 f150 larriet with ecobooost. Absolutely love it. Wouldn't trade it in for anything. As a matter of fact my next truck will be the newer model. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • bgebrent
    I have had a 93, 01, 03, and 09 Silverado and a 13 Sierra. 

93 was my favorite. Long bed. Standard long bench cab. Manual transmission. Contractor white. Inflatable mattress in the tool box.

I pissed off more rich daddies with that truck than the Affordable Care Act. 
    Inflatable mattress in the tool box!  I'd say did more than piss off some rich daddy's.  Guessing you ducked some double 00 buckshot along the way.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited June 2017
    I have had a 93, 01, 03, and 09 Silverado and a 13 Sierra. 

93 was my favorite. Long bed. Standard long bench cab. Manual transmission. Contractor white. Inflatable mattress in the tool box.

I pissed off more rich daddies with that truck than the Affordable Care Act. 
    LOL, the cloth bench seat and roominess comes in handy for sure. 

Years ago, my buddy was so proud of footprints on the inside windshield on his 90s white Chevy, cracked me up.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461

2007 GMC Sierra 6.6 turbo diesel 4x4. 
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • TideEggHead
    @Hook_emHornsfan_74 do you have the 2.7 or 3.5 ecoboost?
    LBGE
    AL
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    @JNDATHP love the turbo diesel 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    2011 GMC Yukon, best car I have owned. 115,000 and no issues. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • bgebrent
    My other truck and my everyday mule is a 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Cabriolet.  It's old but reliable.  They could improve the payload for sure. ;)
  • @Hook_emHornsfan_74 do you have the 2.7 or 3.5 ecoboost?
    3.5 and I was wrong with the year. Had a brain fart. It's a 2013.   My company uses fords as well.  The newer models are even better than mine.  As to the engine, it has more power than I could imagine. I love he fact that when I'm driving to Austin and need to pass people, the power is there. 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    2014 Silverado double cab.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    She's been a great truck, totally reliable and I've never been left stranded. I just need something bigger for longer trips and when we have kids.
    Keep her, take shorter trips and don't have kids.  :tongue:

My only new vehicle was a '92 Toyota, put 220,000 miles on it before a #@%&%@!! ran a stop sign and totaled Her.  NO unscheduled maintenance!

Got a "lightly used" (1,700 miles) '07 Taco in '07; she has only 48,000 miles on her now and I don't expect to buy another truck this lifetime.  Mileage is not great, nor is the legroom, but she'll do, provided the jacka** above doesn't cross my path again.  :anguished:  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    2015 1500 Sierra All Terrain. First truck I've owned and love it. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Randall_Lee
    Randall_Lee Posts: 158
    edited June 2017
    Picked up 2016 GMC 3/4 ton a couple of months ago, loving it, pulls the travel trailer with ease.

Niceville, Fl
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Here is the grocery getter for Sunday's. 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    @TideEggHead I work on cars all day. What do you need a truck to do? What price range are you looking in? 4wd or 2? Work, pleasure, daily driver, hauler, etc. So many variables. Pm me if you want. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC.