Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry Aged Ribeye, Reverse Seared

Slow-roasted to an IT of 120, a bit of Worcestershire and brown sugar glaze, pulled and tented, removed the AR and dropped in the CI grate, brought the Egg to nuclear.  Seared on each side for about a minute. 

Board sauce is EVOO, parsley, S&P.

Epic.
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Perfect 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    That looks fantastic.  
  • Nice!

Little Rock, AR

• pflug
    pflug Posts: 106
    Nice, I love the uniform red color!
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Nice man! Looks fantastic!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I'm looking for a refrigerator now just so I can dry age steaks. Lordy those look good. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    Thanks fellas!  I'm not sure how I managed to live so many years without discovering dry aged beef.  Man what a difference in flavor profile.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Winner. 
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    I'm not sure how I managed to live so many years without discovering __________ ...
    I think this constantly.
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Well was it any good? Bwahahahahaha 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Holy moly -- that looks PERFECT!  WOW!!!
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Did you age it in yourself or purchase it?
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited June 2017
    Hans61 said:
    Did you age it in yourself or purchase it?
    Purchased.  This was a request from the wife for her birthday.

I haven't gotten around to dry aging myself yet.  It's definitely on the list.  
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,676
    Excellent cook.
    I've only cooked dry aged steaks one time. The butcher warned me they cook faster, I thought I heeded his warning, but I still managed to overcook them.

You nailed your cook.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Gawjus!
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,533
    Wow.... just wow!!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • JohnInCarolina
    I've been touched by The Meat Jesus himself:

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Steak a paloosa there John, looks great.  Interested in how the high heat sear and brown sugar worked out on the crust.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnInCarolina
    edited June 2017
    bgebrent said:
    Steak a paloosa there John, looks great.  Interested in how the high heat sear and brown sugar worked out on the crust.
    It really didn't have quite enough time on the sear to develop a full crust.  Last time I did these, I seared about two minutes a side, and they had a better crust, but they were over a bit.  It's a balancing act.  

The brown sugar probably gives you a bit more of a burn in the crust than you'd get otherwise but it also imparts a bit of sweetness which I like.  Again it's a balance. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    As much as it pains me to give this to a liberal, it deserves it my friend.

If you were a conservative, this cook would have easily earned the Double Seal ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    You said "purchased" so be it...but did they tell you for how long it was dry aged? Since a rib eye sub-primal is so thick I personally have found that 45 days works best for our tastes! Granted that is a long time to wait, but well worth the effort for the concentrated beef taste! On top of that the aged fat by then knocks your socks off! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Righteous. 

Yet to try a board sauce. Need to remedy that.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    RRP said:
    You said "purchased" so be it...but did they tell you for how long it was dry aged? Since a rib eye sub-primal is so thick I personally have found that 45 days works best for our tastes! Granted that is a long time to wait, but well worth the effort for the concentrated beef taste! On top of that the aged fat by then knocks your socks off! 
    They did Ron.  I want to say it was 35 days or so.  I don't quite recall precisely, as I was blinded by my hatred for America ;)
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    next time use some of that hatred for america and focus it on the butcher doing that trimming on that cote de boeuf =) nice looking cook, aged ribeye is the best cut. 
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it