Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 beef tenderloin filets....cast iron skillet or grate?

Options
This will be my first time to cook steaks so wondering how to do them- starting from scratch here. I assume no plate setter. What temp? When I cook them inside I use a hot cast iron skillet then finish in the oven so this will be a much different method. Does the skillet sit on the grate to get hot prior to adding steaks? What about butter? How many times to flip and then what temp for medium rare?
MBGE, Thermapen, a fine deck on which to cook, 1 Cocker Spaniel, ThermPro Remote

As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again!

Comments

• SuperCooper
    SuperCooper Posts: 77
    edited June 2017
    Options
    When I do beef tenderloins, I sear them flipping every two minutes for a total of 6-8 min. Then pop the plate setter back in and bring the egg down to 350. Add the tenderloin back and ride it out until 125. 
    Greenville, SC Large BGE est. December 2013
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    edited June 2017
    Options
    300 degrees indirect until steak comes to 120-124 for medium rare. Pull and rest for 10 min and crank up the heat with a Ci skillet. Let it get as hot as possible. Put a little butter (clarified preferred) and sear each side for 45 seconds

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• da87
    da87 Posts: 640
    Options
    I reverse sear without cast iron and find it easier to raise the egg temp than to lower it...   If they're thick, indirect with plate setter at 250 (smoking wood optional, after reading @YukonRon's posts I often use pecan) up to 115 to 120 internal temp. Remove, cover with foil, fully open up the bottom vent and take the daisy wheel totally off - allow egg to get flaming hot. Put meat back on and sear 1 min per side, checking temp to make sure you don't go past your desired final doneness. 
    Doug
    Wayne, PA
    LBGE, Weber Kettle (gifted to my sister), Weber Gasser

"Two things are infinite:  the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"   Albert Einstein
  • BuzzandRenegade
    Options
    I did a reverse sear, cooked indirect at 320 until steaks were at about 120. Removed them and kept them warm under foil. Then fired up to 500 and stuck the cast iron on. Threw a tablespoon of butter in and seared steaks on each side for 1 minute. They were perfect! The only mishap was when I handed Renegade the tongs and he burned his thumb. We need the tray attachment badly! Thanks for the guidance everyone.

MBGE, Thermapen, a fine deck on which to cook, 1 Cocker Spaniel, ThermPro Remote

As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,849
    Options
    Glad it worked out.  And welcome aboard.  Next time, take pics and show us how great it was.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Try a little aged balsamic vinegar with the butter.... 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN