Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All purpose rub

Options
Family friend made me a rub once that I was able to pretty much put on everything. Was looking for some help re creating it. I have try to recreate on my own but no luck. Come to where I know people are experts. Here what I could tell was in the rub. 

dry onion
old bay 
season salt
black pepper 
garlic power and/or salt
onion power

thanks 

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    that's a tuff question man. Maybe just ask your friend for some more :-)
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Jvar87
    Jvar87 Posts: 31
    Options
    Been asking for 2 years now. No luck. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,618
    Options
    Hmmm, good friend.
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options

@jvar87 not trying to be jerk (seriously), but we've never tasted the stuff.  How the heck are we supposed to help recreate it? 

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Legume
    Options
    What color was it?  Did it have any sweetness? Any cumin funk?  Any heat?
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    There are a couple of Old Bay variants. The "rub" has brown sugar, and there's a low salt version.

The season salt flavor you tasted might have been the celery salt taste in the Old Bay. Most rub/spice blend do have quite a bit of onion powder, and about half as much garlic. The Old Bay blend is a little unusual as it has allspice, clove and mace, which are somewhat uncommon. Many rubs have cumin, usually some oregano, and some sort of chili powder. Mustard powder is usually a major component.

For meat rubs, sugar is almost always present in fairly large quantities. For an all purpose blend, sugar would probably be just a minor component.

The most important thing about spice and herb blends is they must be fresh. While tins of Old bat preserve the flavor pretty well, If you can grind the ingredients yourself, you will get a much better flavor and aroma.
  • E3MeatCo
    E3MeatCo Posts: 6
    Options
    we love the holy cow seasoning rub from MeatChurch BBQ. We use it on our 32 oz. Tomahawks almost every time. You should check it out.
  • Legume
    Options
    Does that egg have a fire in it?
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    Options

How is your egg still white?  did you paint it?

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,746
    Options
    They look too good to be plastic.
    Stillwater, MN
  • E3MeatCo
    Options
    Egg is brand new.  This photo was taken prepping for Memphis in May. The egg will have a fire in it! This is just a shot of the meat before grilling covered in the Holy Cow seasoning. Its so good you got to try it
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    E3MeatCo said:
    Egg is brand new.  This photo was taken prepping for Memphis in May. The egg will have a fire in it! This is just a shot of the meat before grilling covered in the Holy Cow seasoning. Its so good you got to try it
    With all due respect, there are hundreds if not thousands of rubs out there that are so good they should be tried. I used to fart around with my own and some were pretty good, but honestly, there are not enough days to try all the seasonings out there. At the last BBQ comp in Langley BC, I discovered (#2 Son gave me) "The Judge" from BBQ Superstore, the closest thing to displacing john Henry Mojave garlic pepper rub @caliking turned me onto. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • E3MeatCo
    Options
    E3MeatCo said:
    With all due respect, there are hundreds if not thousands of rubs out there that are so good they should be tried. I used to fart around with my own and some were pretty good, but honestly, there are not enough days to try all the seasonings out there. At the last BBQ comp in Langley BC, I discovered (#2 Son gave me) "The Judge" from BBQ Superstore, the closest thing to displacing john Henry Mojave garlic pepper rub @caliking turned me onto. 

Agreed. We tend to think this one ranks among the best especially on our 32 oz tomahawks. The size alone can intimate some but the flavor of the meat combined with this seasoning you can't, in our opinion, beat it
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
    E3MeatCo said:
    we love the holy cow seasoning rub from MeatChurch BBQ. We use it on our 32 oz. Tomahawks almost every time. You should check it out.
    I already have the @MeatChurch Holy Cow, you donate the 32 oz. Tomahawks. Deal? I bet they taste great over @stlcharcoal
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!