Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gold vs. Black SRF

Options
Is the Gold brisket worth the extra? I'm looking to do a kickass brisket in a week and need some help on the two qualities.

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    I've had both and I don't believe the Gold is worth the extra money. 
  • shucker
    shucker Posts: 483
    Options
    For the above-average consumer, black is fine.  I cook black grade for very special guests that I want to impress, otherwise I just cook choice grade.  I do use gold for competitions and they are nice briskets but not worth the expense to feed people who are gonna love whatever you serve them.  Now bbq judges, thats a different story! 

Shucker
    Eastern North Carolina
    Go Pirates!

http://facebook.com/oldcolonysmokehouse

https://www.instagram.com/oldcolonysmokehouse/

L & MM BGE/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Pit Barrel Cooker/QDS/Shirley Fab 50" Patio/BQ Grills Hog Cooker/Stump's Classic/Weber 22" OTG

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    I have only had gold one time (black is my standard SRF buy) and for a once a year treat I could tell the difference (or told myself I could) in terms of texture.  That said, I would go with black unless you are serving an extremely discerning crowd.  I doubt any could tell the difference.  Sometimes you can get a prime grade to get right up there as well.  But in general, the higher the quality of the cut the better the end result.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    I've had both and I don't believe the Gold is worth the extra money. 
    Same here.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Agree with the above.  Gold is definitely great, but even compared to a Prime I wouldn't say it was twice as good (or worth 6 times the price).

Go for Black. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Smokin_Trout
    Smokin_Trout Posts: 506
    Options
    Let me kind of hijack this and ask a continuing question- Is there a huge difference to between black and Costco prime?
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    I will say that on a consistent basis there is a texture and taste difference between Costco prime and SRF black.   I cook black grade around 5-6 times a year (and at that pace get no SWMBO blow-back); always with some sort of celebration aligned; National Brisket Day, Father's Day, B'day, Saturday after Thanksgiving and some other concocted events.  That said, you will get excellent results with Costco prime briskets which I cook whenever the brisket mood strikes.
    You can certainly debate the cost per pound between the two cuts and likely land with the Costco cut and all will be well.  
    BTW- I have convinced my M-I-L (who is in her mid 80's and lives in San Rafael, CA (brisket country for sure)) that brisket tastes better than prime rib (the ribs are always CAB graded).  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • deadlyfrog
    deadlyfrog Posts: 92
    Options
    Thank you everyone... Exactly what I was looking for. Be ordering a Black...!
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    Any solid cook can make a mediocre cut I'd meat " sing" and a bad cook can ruin a quality cut...same in any trade...then take a solid cook and put a quality cut in their hands and OMG....my 2 cents ...
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian