Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket advice

Options
Hello, I am new to the big green egg world and one of my first meal attempts was a brisket flat. I put the brisket on the egg at 225° witch hickory wood chips and smoked until the internal temp was about 165° ( about 6 hours ), then wrapped it up in tinfoil and put about an inch of coffee in the tinfoil and cooked until an internal temp of 200°. I was very excited and it looked amazing but turned out to be very tough. I am just looking for any advice for my next attempt, thank you!

Comments

• Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Tooth pic test some brisket aren't done until 205 
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Flat's are hard to nail.  I'll attach a thread full of good information and then some.  And welcome.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1194980/memorial-day-weekend-brisket-cook-whos-with-me-rules-are-simple/p1
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    As above, brisket finish-line is all about the feel in the thick part of the flat,  'looking for the "probes like buttah" outcome.  Sounds like you pulled early.  No worries-I have hosed up way more than my share of flats.  But every hunk of protein is different so give it another shot.  
    BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Above all, have fun.
    Now back to brisket-if you can score a whole packer brisket that makes the cook a bit easier to nail.  Around here you can get packers (Costco) for less than half the price per pound of the trimmed flat.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    As others said, flats are hard to get perfect.  Start with a high quality packer, because it sounds like your cook was well executed.

And welcome aboard.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• LumberJake
    LumberJake Posts: 14
    Options
    All great advice and that was a great thread posted by bgebrent! Going to pick up a pork shoulder for this Memorial Day but the following weekend will be a brisket for sure. So what I'm pulling from this would be to maybe go with a full brisket rather than a flat and wait to pull longer, maybe 205°?
  • LumberJake
    LumberJake Posts: 14
    Options
    I am also seeing some post where additional liquid is injected into the brisket itself. Does anybody find this neccisary or is it more of a preference?
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Basically the final temp isn't set in stone but will generally end up around 200. When most of it probes like butter you're done. The thinnest part of the flat may overcook but will still be good. Packers are way easier to cook. Look through some of @lousubcap 's old posts, he has summed up the basics quite well. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Or you could ask our resident brisket jedi @bhedges1987 to extend the force to all of us on Brisket Day.... 

Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    BUFFALOMOOSE Posts: 373
    Options
    Has anyone injected the thin part of the flat (or for that matter the whole packer) midway to 3/4 of the way thru the cook in order to try and avoid over cooking and if so how did it turn out? Whatever temperature it is probing heat your broth to that temperature and inject. 
    South Buffalo, New York
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @BUFFALOMOOSE
    I cheat when I do mine. I inject 3-4 times during the cook. 50% beef broth, 25% onion juice, and 25% garlic juice...ambient temp only.
    The thin edge of the end of the flat, I typically wrap in foil, and I never go by temp, I use the toothpick test. Probe until no resistance. I have pulled, generally based on grade of meat, from 189F, to 202F. The lower temps usually are prime and above, higher temps have been choice.
    My smoke wood of choice is pecan for brisket, and I use Rockwood lump exclusively. I was not pleased, when I started, using BGE Lump, (which I had been informed it is bagged Royal Oak).
    Too many fines, dust and junk in the bags I purchased. Gave off an unpleasant smokey taste, that occasionally overpowered my wood chunks. When it covers hickory, there is a problem, I think.
    Others seem to be ok with it, which is fine, I just like neutral smoke, from the lump, and good smoke flavor from the wood chunks. (I got more issues than an airport magazine rack)
    Never use a target temperature for brisket, it is done when it is done. Start probing around 190F, it will get you there.
    When done, pull it and let it sit for about 20 mins, then BP or FTC for up to 4-6 hours as needed.
    This process has been working for me, others have their own system, which works very nicely. I learned from the experts on this forum, there are some real heavy hitters here.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    @YukonRon I may need to try wrapping the thin part of the flat.  Do you place foil around the meat or just lay it on top?  I may have to start injecting as well as I suffer for DFS (disappointing flat syndrome). 

Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    @GoooDawgs - not @YukonRon here but with the flat and the foil, I foil the thin part both top and bottom (especially ) for a few hours into the cook then will determine whether to remove or keep going.  Shrinkage will cause the foiled meat to become more heat exposed as the cooks progresses.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @GoooDawgs - not @YukonRon here but with the flat and the foil, I foil the thin part both top and bottom (especially ) for a few hours into the cook then will determine whether to remove or keep going.  Shrinkage will cause the foiled meat to become more heat exposed as the cooks progresses.  
    This^^^^^^^   @GoooDawgs and @lousubcap

Do what this Brisket God says, and there will be no problems.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky