Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First time Pork Belly

Options
Vandy15
Vandy15 Posts: 8
First time smokin' a pork belly, whats the best way to do so? Need tips from preparing, to smokin' temp, to timing of cook. Any help/tips are appreciated. Thanks and happy cooking everyone! 

Comments

• rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options
    Darn, I clicked here without noticing there were no replies! i was hoping to learn something, too!

1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Cook it like you do a butt, to 203. You can go very low & slow or 275-300.

I'm actually doing a 8lb butt right now along with a 5 lb pork belly. My intention is to take both to 203 then shred together for pulled pork sandwiches.

Pork belly is the Creme de la Creme of the pig, it's very sweet and incorporates very nicely into pulled pork.

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Vandy15
    Vandy15 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you so much, will try then post result later this week. Have a great weekend!
  • Corvus
    Corvus Posts: 30
    Options
    I used Malcolm Reed's, How to BBQRight.com/youtube recipe for pork burnt ends. I can't describe how awesome it was.  I also SV'd 2# of PB using ChefSteps recipe.  First just one taste, then another and before we realized it, we had eaten the whole thing standing at the counter top, it didn't even make it to the table!
    Blessed are the flexible for they shall not get bent out of shape.

LBGE, Weber Genesis II, Weber Performer, 2-WSM, PKGrill, 22" Blackstone, KettlePizza, Joule, ChefAlarm, Smoke, 2-ThermaPens.
  • BGnogin
    BGnogin Posts: 76
    Options
    @Corvus how did you sous vide it?  Time and temp and did you finish it on the egg?
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    People mainly use them for bacon but Malcom Reed has a good pork burnt ends receipe  
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Remove rind and top fat then low and slow with just seasoning. It doesn't last long when you get it out, once the vultures descend.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    I've got the Malcom Reed pork belly burnt ends recipe rolling along right now.  Should be finished in around 2 hours.  First time giving this a go.  Will post a pic once done.  
    BTW- here's the recipe link:  (His site has many solid recipes.)
    http://howtobbqright.com/2017/04/17/pork-belly-burnt-ends/  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    Here's pedestrian pic of the pork belly burnt ends cook.  Great groceries for sure.  Definitely will go again, soon.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Corvus
    Corvus Posts: 30
    Options
    BGnogin said:
    @Corvus how did you sous vide it?  Time and temp and did you finish it on the egg?
    Hey, been out of town awhile, anyway, I followed the recipe on ChefSteps.
    Blessed are the flexible for they shall not get bent out of shape.

LBGE, Weber Genesis II, Weber Performer, 2-WSM, PKGrill, 22" Blackstone, KettlePizza, Joule, ChefAlarm, Smoke, 2-ThermaPens.
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I went with the burnt ends method and was very pleased. The original thread is here

Michiana, South of the border.
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    I normally do two sections and save one for bacon.  I always start by scoring the top some, use your favorite rub (these are Meat Church Gospel and Lanes BBQ Signature) smoke low and slow around 223-250 with some applewood to 165 IT, pull them off, cube it, toss in apple juice and bbq sauce and back on 30 min.  you can finish in the oven if you don't have space for 2 pans. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!