Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baking Taters

Options
g8golfer
g8golfer Posts: 1,025
I usually bake my taters in the oven wrapped in foil but I thought about doing on the egg today instead. What kind of cook times and temp? I seen a post previous before where someone coated with olive oil and salt. Any suggestions? Foil or no foil? 

Comments

• rockymountaineggster
    Options
    I foil salt and olive oil mine. Potato is very forgiving and usually just throw them on with what ever protein I'm cooking. I just let them go till soft when I squeeze them. If out of grate space I've put them directly on the coals around the edge of the fire box if my temp isn't too high. Just make sure they don't burn and you are all set. I actually like a little char on the skin though.
    Parker, Colorado
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm in the foil camp. Usually evoo and S&P but I mix it up and add garlic etc if the mood strikes. Same time and temp as the oven. 
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    I roll mine in EVOO and salt and pepper. No foil. Indirect on grill at 400 for about an hour.

skin will be nice and crispy.

believe it or not, you can probe for temp. 200 degrees internal is perfect.
  • g8golfer
    Options
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I rub mine with canola oil and salt liberally.  Go indirect at 450° for about an hour. 

About 200° internal will do the trick. Best tater ever. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I go raised direct rubbed in Canola and kosher salt.... 375 - 400 for about an hour. I turn them once half way thru. Then I pull them at 205 or so internal and wrap in foil till protein in ready.... Skin and potatoe perfect every time. We never cook them in oven anymore. 
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I was considering brining the potatoes when I came across this article which covers just about every aspect of the baked potato.  See the skin care section where it discourages oiling the skins before cooking cause it doesn't allow moisture to escape leaving them soft and soggy...he oils for the last 10 minutes to get the coveted crispy skin.  He also cooks to a internal target temp vs timing.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/articles/144-the-perfect-baked-potato

Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • slovelad
    slovelad Posts: 1,742
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    I was considering brining the potatoes when I came across this article which covers just about every aspect of the baked potato.  See the skin care section where it discourages oiling the skins before cooking cause it doesn't allow moisture to escape leaving them soft and soggy...he oils for the last 10 minutes to get the coveted crispy skin.  He also cooks to a internal target temp vs timing.

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/articles/144-the-perfect-baked-potato

Interesting idea. I will test the theory next time to see if the skin gets better!
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    edited May 2017
    Options
    EVOO and kosher salt ,no foil, raised direct at 400 until 210 degrees internal. Takes about an hour.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • g8golfer
    Options