Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Belly Burnt Ends

HoustonEgger
HoustonEgger Posts: 616
My brother & father in law rode in the MS 150 bike ride this past weekend and stayed at our place between the legs of the race, since we're pretty well near the 1/2 way point. So I needed a good meal to feed folks that just rode 80+ miles on a bike. 

So off to Sam's Club I went Saturday morning and picked up salmon, steaks and pork belly - because why not. The pork belly was a new recipe/experiment for me - results are below:

1) Cubed up belly, tossed in rub (used Dizzy Pig Dizzy Dust)
2) Got large egg going at 250 indirect and then tossed on some Pecan
3) Put the belly cubes on the cookie tray and put on the egg
4) 3 hours later, removed the cubes, put them in a pan with apple juice, covered with foil and back on the egg for another hour
5) Removed the foil, added BBQ Sauce for another 45 minutes
6) Placed the cubes back on the wire rack and smoked for another 20 minutes to get the sauce to set

Total experiment but turned out really nice. Pork belly was eaten as cooked - but also great the next day as tacos. Will be playing with this some more - next time I'm not going to add the BBQ Sauce and try a different flavor profile.

Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker

Comments