Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paring knife

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
I am doing a paring knife exchange on the Canadian Knifemaking Forum. It's like sauce and rub exchange on this forum but more Canadians...and knives... and less sauces and rubs. 

Thought I would show you the one I made for it since it has a cooking theme being a paring knife and all.

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• Dfoshee
    Dfoshee Posts: 191
    Options
    Sweet
    Lbge. Maverick 733, ss top, 30" fire pit, gas grill, small charcoal grill, electric smoker, 65 qt yeti, 35 qt yeti.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    That's a beautiful piece- I'm sure the new owner is going to be very, very pleased. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Nice knife! 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Nice blade man. 
    Single layer blank used for the blade?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Awesome! Details, need details, what is the wood? Where do you source your steel? Inlay or veneer? Very nice workmanship. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gmac
    Options
    The steel is 1/16 A2 that I get as flat stock and grind out the blank. I made cut 3 out and this is the first one done. 
    The handle is madrone burl sanded to 400 grit then dyed with mahogany and then Jacobean stain. The liner and spacers are G10 with brass pins. Final sanding was up to 1500 grit. Not sure if I will finish it with oil/wax or poly. Prefer oil but poly would give more protection. 

I don't have a forge yet so everything I do is single layer although I may spring for one soon to play with pattern welds and San Mai construction.  
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    gmac said:
    The steel is 1/16 A2 that I get as flat stock and grind out the blank. I made cut 3 out and this is the first one done. 
    The handle is madrone burl sanded to 400 grit then dyed with mahogany and then Jacobean stain. The liner and spacers are G10 with brass pins. Final sanding was up to 1500 grit. Not sure if I will finish it with oil/wax or poly. Prefer oil but poly would give more protection. 

I don't have a forge yet so everything I do is single layer although I may spring for one soon to play with pattern welds and San Mai construction.  
    Cool! What are the black and blue materials?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Never seen an arbutus burl, very nice work - but then Jacobean is my favourite stain, SWMBO calls it s4!t brindle brown. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gmac
    Options
    RRP said:
    gmac said:

Cool! What are the black and blue materials?
    It's G10 which is essentially Fiberglass. It's actually black and white but the photo does look a bit blue. Maybe it's like that dress from a year or two ago. 

• gmac
    Options

Never seen an arbutus burl, very nice work - but then Jacobean is my favourite stain, SWMBO calls it s4!t brindle brown. 
    No idea about it, where it's from or anything else but at the wood store I go to for handle materials they have a big drum full of burl blocks for making pens etc and I repurposed it for this. I bought a whole bunch of them. Likely use most for accents on larger handles. 
    I glued up a different handle with African Blackwood but that stuff is so hard that when sanding it got hot enough to melt the epoxy. Need to learn how to use it. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,336
    Options
    Great craftsmanship right there.  Someone on the exchange is gonna be a major winner with that piece.  Impressive skill-set.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    SaintJohnsEgger Posts: 1,826
    Options
    Awesome looking knife. Anyone would be proud to own that knife.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group