Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fare Thee Well....

Options
Gents,
My Big Green Egg journey has come to a temporary end. I have traded in my medium BGE for a Kamado Joe Classic. I cherished the short time I had with my egg, but my heart (and ribs) yearned for more room.
My three young kids and beautiful wife are hard on the wallet, so keeping my egg wasn't an option. Luckily I was able to sell it at a good price and pick up my new Kamado for no additional moneys. 
I appreciate you guys allowing me to be part of your group, and will likely continue lurking in the shadows admiring your shiny green cookers and passable humor.
Please allow me to share my pretty black blasphemy:

Kansas City, Kansas
Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain

Comments

• Action_Hank
    Options
    Aint nothing wrong with a Joe, 'Que on brother!
    "It's not the beard on the outside that counts, its the beard on the INSIDE."

LBGE   -   Lexington, KY
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Variety is good. Egg on, or some variation thereof.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I admit that I LOVE my Big Green Eggs (a Medium and a Large), and I feel some loyalty to the company that did the innovation, took a sleepy concept, remade it with modern materials, and created a movement that gives so many of us real joy in grilling and smoking incredible, wonderful food.  I've used other charcoal grills and a gas grill, but I never LOVED it until my wife bought me my first Big Green Egg.  So for mostly emotional reasons, I so sort of hate it that other companies now are copying BGE and taking over a big chunk of the market.

But I agree with those above.  Keep cooking, keep posting, keep enjoying it all.  Share your experiences.  I've learned SO MUCH from people posting here!  Maybe I'll learn from you, too!
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    tenpenny_05 here at the BGE Forums, you can check in ... but can't ever leave.

Post away .. I got no prob with that.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    No reason to leave. Stick around. 

Little Rock, AR

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Oh cool.  Looks like they are now giving out accessories for our wives now!  What's the details on that broom?  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    People post Blackstone cooks, Weber cooks, pressure cooker cooks, even OVEN cooks here. Not to mention Komodo Kamado and, yes, KJ cooks. No need to leave.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jdkeithbge
    jdkeithbge Posts: 310
    Options
    @tarheelmatt that took me a second but cracked me up! That's a Big Green Broom...
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    Options

All I have is a my trusty sharp microwave and I still feel welcome here on this forum ... although I feel people look at me like I'm a weirdo ... Its just a feeling.

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

All I have is a my trusty sharp microwave and I still feel welcome here on this forum ... although I feel people look at me like I'm a weirdo ... Its just a feeling.

Can it boil water?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,356
    Options
    I've recently been posting more KJ Jr. cooks since it's new. I say post away. Just post grid pics and we'll never know :)
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• tenpenny_05
    tenpenny_05 Posts: 286
    Options
    I guess if you don't mind, I'll share some of my ingenuity...
    My KJ was an older model so it didn't come with all the gadgets. I didn't want to wait to do ribs so I had to improvise. The heat deflector is the grate off of my weber Q100 wrapped in foil. Grate was held up with empty margarita cans...
    Kansas City, Kansas
    Second hand Medium BGE, Second hand Black Kamado Joe Classic, Second hand Weber Kettle, Second hand Weber Smokey Mountain
  • tenpenny_05
    Options
    Yielded some edible results. The weather in KS was beautiful yesterday. Pulled them straight off the cooker and ate them on the deck with my wife.
    Kansas City, Kansas
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    Options

Can it boil water?
    only in a metal bowl ... trick is you got to get it out before the sparks and explosion happens. Its one of my more deadly cooks.

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,473
    Options
    @tenpenny_05   gotta love that raised grid deal.  You are much more refined, I used empty beer cans.  Nailed those ribs.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Good looking ribs
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    When I first saw the title.....I thought is going to be about the Dead's final concerts back in 2015. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,851
    Options
    You have to stay around.  You just started a "margarita cans support the grid and provide better flavor than beer cans" debate.

I'd rather read about that than read about boiling brisket.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• tenpenny_05
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    You just started a "margarita cans support the grid and provide better flavor than beer cans" debate.
    I thought that was obvious. Anybody who uses beer cans probably prefers YETI coolers as well....
    Kansas City, Kansas
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,851
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    You just started a "margarita cans support the grid and provide better flavor than beer cans" debate.
    I thought that was obvious. Anybody who uses beer cans probably prefers YETI coolers as well....

Good point.  And Cowboy lump.  And they cook their brisket fat side down.  And light their fire with a looftlighter.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• tenpenny_05
    Options
    Animals....
    Kansas City, Kansas
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    No reason (or permission given) to leave us. Just keep cooking and posting pics and everyone will be happy.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

I'd guess the majority of members cook on other cookers in addition to the egg.  Many times I don't know what I'm gonna cook on until I reach the patio. 

Stick around.  The kj forums suck anyway.

Phoenix 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    You have to stay around.  You just started a "margarita cans support the grid and provide better flavor than beer cans" debate.

I'd rather read about that than read about boiling brisket.
    If those are lime-a-rita cans.....its good to know there is a legitimate use for them.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tenpenny_05
    Options
    I suppose you guys wouldn't believe me if I told you my wife likes them?
    Kansas City, Kansas
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    Options
    I don't care if you cook over a burning trash can. If you post a good recipe, I will steal it.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    So we don't like black komados? :pensive:
    This is safe place...except for Fridays...post away using your blasphemous cooker. Cheers
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL