Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another failed 2-2-1 attempt...pls help!

Options
Gym
Gym Posts: 366
Hi all,
I bought my first egg about a year ago. The first thing I tried was pork ribs using the 2-2-1 method. I followed it to a tee and they turned out perfect!
Since then, I haven't once been able to cook them correctly! I don't understand what I'm doing wrong?  Again this morning I put a rack on at 1130am. It's now about 415 and they've been in foil since 130. When I pick them up with tongs they are rigid as hell still! Started cooking at 235. I've since increased to 250. So I'm sitting here(beer in hand) waiting for these darn things to become tender. Someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong????!!!

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    Is your dome calibrated? ...a few degrees off @  that point your grate temp may be quite low...if I'm doing ribs @ 225. I plan on the long haul
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Gym
    Options
    I'm using flame boss. Currently set at 250. Dome thermo says 250 also
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I agree with @lkapigian - for you to consistantly be having problems after 1 fine result points to that thermometer more than anything. Now if it was just an occasional problem you could blame the meat. Big old sows jump in line at the slaughter house thinking they are going to be go-go girls again! =)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    edited April 2017
    Options
    have you checked them with a tooth pick to see how the meat feels?  This is a long time in the foil to not be done.   

edited BBC I can't type 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I would recommend ditching the bend test and adopting the tooth pick test. Insert pick, when it comes out without resistance, done. Bump your temps to 250-275. I'm done in under 4 without foil. You should be done much faster with foil. I would agree that the temp is likely too low. No need to keep it so low on the egg. The low air flow and moist environment of the egg is unique and eliminates the need for really low cooking temps. Keep at it. Guys cook in the 300's with great results. I go more for 250-275, but prolly closer to 275 as a norm. 
  • dsleight
    dsleight Posts: 101
    Options
    Are you putting any kind of liquid in the foil before wrapping?  I usually add apple juice or butter (1/4 cup) before sealing the foil.  The liquid will steam the ribs and cook them a little faster.  Possibly your ribs are so lean there is nothing to generate steam by the time you wrap them (if they are wrapped dry, that is).
  • lkapigian
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Gym said:
    I'm using flame boss. Currently set at 250. Dome thermo says 250 also
    Personally I like 275 to 300 range, I think its just temperature ..I did 15 racks last weekend, cooked half in 4 hours in one box running 300 ish, the other half I let cruise for 6 hours running 225 to 250...could have gone 7 hours easy ...also , bend test is one indicator, open,a rack look for pull back and probe between the ribs
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RedSkip
    RedSkip Posts: 1,400
    Options
    275-300 should put the grate temp around 250-275.  225 on the dome the meat is seeing 190-200 before it stabilizes, which will take hours.  

@225 Dome the reason it's tough it because they are undercooked... bump your temps and never look back at 225 F.
    Large BGE - McDonald, PA
  • Gym
    Options
    Update.
    I just removed from the foil since I'm starving. I had apple juice in both foiled racks, one had more juice then the other and seemed to be closer to done. It was also in the middle of the grate. The rack closer to the back with less juice wasn't as"loose". I have a therma pen, Any idea what temp I'm looking to achieve? I'm begging to agree I need to cook at higher temps!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    If you want to abandon the bend test and aren't sure of yourself with the toothpick test then take a Thermapen or POP and check the meat between the bones - it should be reading about 198º if they are done.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Options
    are you doing spare ribs? Or baby backs?
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Can you provide the link to your cook online. Let's see the graph for this cook. Maybe something will show up.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• Gym
    Options
    They're back ribs. I could provide the graph but I didn't use the meat probe, just the pit. Just checked with pen. Smaller rack at 178 larger rack is 165. 
    Would that not mean I'm cooking too cool? Lower temp is causing them to take a long time to get to rrp's recommended 198?
  • EggSmokeVa
    EggSmokeVa Posts: 378
    Options
    When you wrap the ribs, what are you adding to them?
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • Gym
    Options
  • EggSmokeVa
    EggSmokeVa Posts: 378
    Options
    Hmm.. if you're using liquid and the foil is wrapped tightly, so that nothing leaks out.. in surprised they aren't tender by now... I typically smoke mine for 2.5-3 hours (until they reach the color I want) and then wrap them in foil with apple juice or beer etc... maybe you just have a thick rack of ribs.. keep going until she's done
    Large BGE
    36" BlackStone
    Backwoods G2 Party
    Yard full of other stuff to cook on

RVA -> Chesapeake Va
    Professional Drinker & Home Cook
  • pgprescott
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Foil and 350-400. Done in no time. 
  • Gym
    Options
    Ok
    Just refoiled and turned up to 350
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    My egg LOVES 275. Thats where I cook most stuff but it seems to be perfect for ribs. 

Little Rock, AR

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This works for me every time.

Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip)

350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. 

Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. 

Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 

Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. 

If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.

I don't cook over the 100 minutes. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Gym
    Options
    My boy is 15 days old. This is his first egg cook. I can't let him Begin with a failure!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Congrats on the 15 day old, nice at that age, you can still win an argument! 
    If the pit probe said 250º and the ribs are typical BBs, you should be done - but obviously are not. 
    Have a rack in the SV right now, we have not had "smoked" ribs for over a year now, 18 hrs at 147º followed by an hour or so on a 275º egg and all is good, every time. 
    Bump your temp to 275º for the next try and I'm bettin' you will be just fine. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Gym said:
    My boy is 15 days old. This is his first egg cook. I can't let him Begin with a failure!
    There is no failure doing anything with your child ...that is Victory no matter the outcome 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @Skiddymarker -  I have successfully avoided the SV vortex and believe I will remain so.  I look at SV as a great cooking process but then I look at the significant reduction in BGE SWMBO eggscape time.  The eggscape wins every time.  I definitely don't see that thought/life process changing.  
    BTW- I have failed to get the opening "Go A's" tossed your way.  Hanging in there so far but getting pounded right now.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    @lousubcap - not watching the game at the moment, just finished watching the Senators hand the Bruins their ass, for me the NHL season begins with the playoffs as so many teams make the playoffs. Keying up for the Leafs and Caps at 4:00PDT. 

Still get the escape time, SWMBO is watching figure skating, every time I walk into the room I ask her what colour it will be when it dries! She just tells me to get lost. 

SV ribs are the go to, Costco St Louis style our favourite. The other is pork tenderloin, turns out awesome. 

The M's Winning so big is going to make it a long plane ride back to CA to play the Halo's on Tuesday. 
    Go A's!

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    @Gym I don't mess around with low and slow ribs on the Egg anymore. Turbo is the way to go...350, no flip, for about an hour and forty five to two hours.....done to perfection every time.

I save low and slow ribs for my smoker if I'm in the mood to wait a while. 
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • Gym
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for your help today. After multiple temp increases and almost 7 hours they were done. I think i will try increasing my temp next time to minimum 275. Looks like previous times, the ribs were just undercooked. 
    Thanks again everyone... Love this forum, you guys are a huge help to newbies like me!
  • pgprescott
    Options
    If it's any consolation, I feel ribs are one of the more difficult cooks to get just right. Narrow margin for error IMO. Keep at it!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    You may want to revert to your original success cook and branch out from there.  Clearly things have changed but making minimal alterations makes it easier for me to track.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    RedSkip said:
    275-300 should put the grate temp around 250-275.  225 on the dome the meat is seeing 190-200 before it stabilizes, which will take hours.  

@225 Dome the reason it's tough it because they are undercooked... bump your temps and never look back at 225 F.
    Strongly agree!  For me, anyway, everything is better at 250° or above, and less than 250° just doesn't work out as well.  I usually shoot for around 275°.

Gym said:
    Update.
    ... I have a therma pen, Any idea what temp I'm looking to achieve?
    Your cook is probably done by now, but I really think this is a big mistake.  Some things you cook to temp, but for some things, temp just doesn't help!  No matter what the temp is, if the bend test and toothpick test both fail, then the ribs will be tough and unpleasant.  I love my Thermapen, but for ribs, the only thing that really matters is testing whether the meat is tender or not.  Period.  If the meat's not tender, it just doesn't matter what the temperature is!