Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New band design for the large BGE

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Ok. I'm gonna be that guy. 

I don't get this. Is it that big of a deal to have an underbite ? I've had one on my large for a loooong time. Egg holds all kinds of temps well. Have not had any issues with cooks. Stuff off the egg tastes great as expected. Family is still alive. 

So so why the mad rush to get this new set of bands??

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Good gravy @caliking - don't you know the way of the egg is the new and improved!!   Lol.  

I'm with you dude. My large has had an underbite for a while now.  Not smoking the gasket and can still control the temps.  All is well. Next thing you you know there will be a Rutland gasket epidemic.  Lmao    

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking said:

I don't get this. Is it that big of a deal to have an underbite ? I've had one on my large for a loooong time. Egg holds all kinds of temps well. Have not had any issues with cooks. Stuff off the egg tastes great as expected. Family is still alive. 

Mine leaks smoke all around the underbite and in the back and wont hold a temp for long. But im over the new bands under warranty at this point. I have my new rutland installed and a flameboss now so worries over for my brisket cooks. 
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351

Ok I'm gonna be that other guy!

If you have an under or over bite and you don't have a problem with it why would you do anything about it?

However if you do wouldn't it be smart to try and fix it?

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Mine ate up gaskets. Hell even BGE told me most eggs have an under or over bite. Sounds like they know it shouldn't be if they made a better design. 

I won't disagree that some egg issues are due to user error during install or tweaking and the new hinge minimizes that during install. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    I am considering getting the new band for my LBGE,  having a less "open" opening is not a disaster for me, I probably won't be doing many high rig cooks now that I have a Karu------. I am not throwing my Eggs under the bus, though!
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    caliking said:

Myself, I like my stuff operating the way it's supposed to. No half way stuff for me. I take care of all my stuff, especially my high dollar investments.

On the other hand, to get more specific to your question, people are sheep, the latest BGE gizmo is mentioned here .. BOOM - it's off to the races!

Tim 

I
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • aljoseph
    aljoseph Posts: 15
    It's hard to tell from the pictures, but is one still supposed to tighten the bolts until the screws bend? I've never liked that part of alignment.
  • aljoseph said:
    It's hard to tell from the pictures, but is one still supposed to tighten the bolts until the screws bend? I've never liked that part of alignment.
    Yes, they still have to bend
  • FatTrout
    FatTrout Posts: 23
    A question for those that have the new bands and use them with an AR: With the new bands, does the lid open far enough to cook pizza with your stone set on top of an AR with an extender?
  • FatTrout said:
    A question for those that have the new bands and use them with an AR: With the new bands, does the lid open far enough to cook pizza with your stone set on top of an AR with an extender?
    I was also wondering about that. Can anybody confirm?
  • clifkincaid
    clifkincaid Posts: 572
    Standard band lid open width. 21 1/2"
    Let's see the new band measurement.
  • I paid good money for my Egg. Its less than 6 months on and has had a problem the last few months. BGE has a solution to that problem. If they will cover it under warranty then that seems like a reasonable solution to me. 

I'm not sure if I would have paid the money to buy a new ring but since they covered it under warranty I am happy.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited May 2017
    Any updated pics on the new band? 
    @SoCalTim any pics and did you get the handler situation worked out? 

On the fence spring is coming coming here in Seattle my 3 eggs need gaskets and some other updates could be in the cards.
    band, mini carrier....spring cleaning....

@RRP I've ordered before for the large I need a new one and one for the MM and Mini. Email will be going out soon I hope you fill the the original Mini as I am not sure you do.

lets get cooking 
    Seattle, WA
  • SoCalTim
    @SkinnyV  .. I had a heck of a time installing. The original brackets installed on the inside of the handler .. I couldn't get the darn thing to align properly. Then my neighbor came over to take a look and suggested installing the brackets on the outside - BINGO!

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SoCalTim
    edited May 2017
    oops
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    SoCalTim said:
    @SkinnyV  .. I had a heck of a time installing. The original brackets installed on the inside of the handler .. I couldn't get the darn thing to align properly. Then my neighbor came over to take a look and suggested installing the brackets on the outside - BINGO!

Couldn't help but notice the selection of canes hanging up! Are you a user, collector or saver from a family member needing one? The closer I get to needing one daily just to walk the more I am aware of them! I'm thinking of carving/turning a couple myself pretty soon! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SoCalTim
    @RRP  .. Those are my dads. lol, he's got a good half dozen.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Very innovative design
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • techshooter
    techshooter Posts: 1
    edited August 2017
    My original Large BGE hinge was wearing out, causing the "underbite". I tried every possible permutation of alignment and adjustment, to no avail. I went to the BGE dealer where I bought it, and he came out to my house with a new style hinge and band assembly and installed it on the spot. All of this happened in the space of less than 3 hours from when I walked into his store to explain the issue. Incredible warranty service from BGE and this local dealer: Jim at Johnson's Home and Garden, Maple Valley, WA.  And, the new hinge assembly is much better engineered than the original, with the center of gravity of the lid much closer to the hinge pivot point, resulting in significantly less effort for opening/closing. I'm a BGE customer for life at this point.
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    drdeal said:
    If you buy a new Large Egg, does it come with the new bands?
    Mine did
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • Good morning everyone,

I just bought an XL BGE two weeks ago and it came with the new band setup (as described in this post).  However, I'm having issues getting my the dome to be even with the base. Here is what happens:  I have the straps loose, I place the dome perfectly (well as perfect as I can get it) on the base.  I then place the 4 spacers and make sure the top and bottom bands are even around the entire Egg.  I then tighten the two back bolts (I'm scared to tighten them too much but the top band bolt bents and the bottom bends slightly) and the ends of the bands bend in slightly in (the top left end bend in more than the to right).  I then tighten the bolts all around the Egg.  Everything is still perfectly lined up and then I open the dome to install the springs.  When I close the dome, the back end of the dome raises about 1/4-1/2 an inch off of the base.  If I press on the dome it will go back down (but only while I'm applying a decent amount of pressure).  Soon as I take that pressure off it goes back up.  I then loosen the bolts and the springs pull the dome back and now my dome and base do not line up and there is about 1/4" underbite in the front and overbite in the back.

I have tried doing this install 3 times and I have narrowed it down to when I install the springs.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  I will say that that I am not getting any smoke leaks and the grill is able to get really hot (did my first high heat cook (after 2 smokes (225-250) and 1 roasted chicken (350)).  This overbite/underbite will cause my gaskets to wear out at an accelerated rate and almost everyone has stated that they are able to perfectly align their dome with the base.  I can take pictures and post them later if needed.  If anyone can provide me tips that would be great.  Or i guess I could go back to my authorized dealer and pay them to come install but I should be able to do this myself.  I really want the dome placement even and sealed to prevent heat escape.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Good morning everyone,

I just bought an XL BGE two weeks ago and it came with the new band setup (as described in this post).  However, I'm having issues getting my the dome to be even with the base. Here is what happens:  I have the straps loose, I place the dome perfectly (well as perfect as I can get it) on the base.  I then place the 4 spacers and make sure the top and bottom bands are even around the entire Egg.  I then tighten the two back bolts (I'm scared to tighten them too much but the top band bolt bents and the bottom bends slightly) and the ends of the bands bend in slightly in (the top left end bend in more than the to right).  I then tighten the bolts all around the Egg.  Everything is still perfectly lined up and then I open the dome to install the springs.  When I close the dome, the back end of the dome raises about 1/4-1/2 an inch off of the base.  If I press on the dome it will go back down (but only while I'm applying a decent amount of pressure).  Soon as I take that pressure off it goes back up.  I then loosen the bolts and the springs pull the dome back and now my dome and base do not line up and there is about 1/4" underbite in the front and overbite in the back.

I have tried doing this install 3 times and I have narrowed it down to when I install the springs.  Does anyone know how to fix this?  I will say that that I am not getting any smoke leaks and the grill is able to get really hot (did my first high heat cook (after 2 smokes (225-250) and 1 roasted chicken (350)).  This overbite/underbite will cause my gaskets to wear out at an accelerated rate and almost everyone has stated that they are able to perfectly align their dome with the base.  I can take pictures and post them later if needed.  If anyone can provide me tips that would be great.  Or i guess I could go back to my authorized dealer and pay them to come install but I should be able to do this myself.  I really want the dome placement even and sealed to prevent heat escape.
    This is an issue with some that I assemble. The spring actually pulls the dome up. One not so good fix is to remove one of the springs. The other involves forcing the bands apart in the back so it is pulled down when shut. It's weird, I assemble some and they are perfect and every so often I get one that does this and it's very frustrating. Good luck. 
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Can't he get a new set of bands on warranty?
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • pgprescott
    XC242 said:
    Can't he get a new set of bands on warranty?
    The bands aren't "new" for the XL and I'm not sure there's anything wrong with them really. But Hey, if you think new set of the same bands will help then by all means. 
  • CanDid
    CanDid Posts: 106
    Good morning everyone,

This is an issue with some that I assemble. The spring actually pulls the dome up. One not so good fix is to remove one of the springs. The other involves forcing the bands apart in the back so it is pulled down when shut. It's weird, I assemble some and they are perfect and every so often I get one that does this and it's very frustrating. Good luck. 
    I have the exact same issue with mine. My dealer assembled and delivered my XL and after my second cook I noticed what appeared to be a sloppy job on the bands. There was a sizeable gap between the dome and base in the back and a big underbite in the front. I got some spacers, loosened everything up and re-assembled the bands.

It fixed the underbite and the dollar test passed all the way around. Installed the springs, opened and closed a few times, gap reappeared in the same spot in the back. Removed the springs and dollar test passed again so I decided to leave the springs off. Dome gets a little heavy when closing, but I'm used to it now.

BGE XL
    NWArkansas
  • Good morning everyone,

So do you think this is a band issue?  Do you think the springs they provided are too strong?  This isn't a defect with the egg, correct?  Maybe a defect wrong with the assemble bands/springs?  I want it to be assembled correctly without rigging it to work.  Should I go ask for new bands?
  • CanDid said:
    Good morning everyone,

I have the exact same issue with mine. My dealer assembled and delivered my XL and after my second cook I noticed what appeared to be a sloppy job on the bands. There was a sizeable gap between the dome and base in the back and a big underbite in the front. I got some spacers, loosened everything up and re-assembled the bands.

It fixed the underbite and the dollar test passed all the way around. Installed the springs, opened and closed a few times, gap reappeared in the same spot in the back. Removed the springs and dollar test passed again so I decided to leave the springs off. Dome gets a little heavy when closing, but I'm used to it now.

I thought about removing the springs as everything is perfect without them.  However, I do not want to break the dome when shutting (by accident).

I'm not sure what exactly the dollar test is but no smoke escapes from the gaskets (around the dome/base).

Do you think this may have to do with the arched bands that are already assembled out of the box?  You think adjusting those may help?
  • pgprescott
    Good morning everyone,

So do you think this is a band issue?  Do you think the springs they provided are too strong?  This isn't a defect with the egg, correct?  Maybe a defect wrong with the assemble bands/springs?  I want it to be assembled correctly without rigging it to work.  Should I go ask for new bands?
    I am a bit miffed by this issue personally. I assemble most and they are perfect. Others are perfect until I attach the springs. It is always one side or the other. I assume there is just something very slightly askew, but the truth is im not sure. When I remove one spring on the side in question that takes care of the issue. Obviously this is not a solution I can live with. I manipulate the bands just a little and it takes care of the issue. Now, if you have created a burn spot on your gasket already, it may be impossible to pass the dollar bill test, idk. Loosening the top band hardware which is intentionally slotted also should help get things right. I'm not sure if a new band would make a difference. Sorry I don't have a more definitive answer.  
  • Im not very happy with my large. I've had it for two weeks and the old style bands are garbage. I don't care about a slight overbite of underbite but the 1\8 inch gap is unacceptable on a thousand dollar rig that touts a "completely sealed cooking environment" as one of its virtues. I get everything lined up perfectly,tighten everything down, open the top and close it......There's the same gap again in the back by the hinge. I'm really disappointed. I have dreamed of owning an egg for twenty years and always held out on buying a different brand thinking I was getting the best. Thinking i may have made a 1000$ mistake