Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

RIP John Geils

NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
Legendary musician and leader of The J. Geils Band dead at 71. Many memories with his tunes playing. 
https://youtu.be/E0LAs7X5ybE
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• CoMoBGE
    CoMoBGE Posts: 374
    I remember blaring his songs through my parents record player as a kid! It amazes me every day when Keith Richards doesn't die but another artist does!
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Heck of a band. I have some old, old LPs of thier work, somewhere.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I saw them open up for Bob Seger a couple years ago and they were great.  I had no idea he was such a showman.  Bounced all over the stage like a spider monkey.  It really got me listening to some of their old stuff.  I hate to see him go. RIP.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • pab
    pab Posts: 273
    I mentioned the live J. Geils Band "Full House" album last week in the best live album thread. They were one he!! of a band live and so much more than Love Stinks and Centerfold. J. Geils, Peter Wolfe and on the licken stick Mr. Magic ****. Whammer Jammer, Hard Drivin' Man and Looking for a Love are songs that defy you to sit still!
    Nerk Ahia LBGE
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    edited April 2017
    first band i ever saw live, back in the 70's.  you can only play their music loud. =)   they really put on a show

Image result for j geils band
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gtcharlie
    gtcharlie Posts: 65
    Probably the best live show I ever saw.  Back in 1980 at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago.   Awesome place to see a concert (saw the Clash there as well, probably second best concert)  The floor had folding chairs on it which pretty much got either pushed to the side or thrown at people during the concert.  Pretty crazy crowd.   I still remember after playing for a couple hours and 2 encores starting to walk out when they came back out on stage with Peter Wolf yelling "Hey where are you guys going!  We're not done yet."  And they proceeded to play three more songs.   Truly an incredible live band.
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Even Duane liked and respected J.G.

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• six_egg
    six_egg Posts: 1,110
    Another sad day in rock n roll. They made Mtv fun to watch. Great videos and awesome music.

XLBGE, LBGE 

Fernandina Beach, FL

• PatsFan70
    PatsFan70 Posts: 29
    Loved this band from my home state of MA.  "Centerfold" came out when I was in Middle School...lot of great memories of their music.  Although I always thought it was odd that Peter Wolf was the front man and lead singer of a band named after the guitar player...
    KJ Classic and BGE MiniMax
    Southeastern, MA
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    edited April 2017
    My first concert in 1975:
    Foghat
    J. Geils Band
    Head East

Sam Houston Coliseum
    Houston, TX
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • I saw em live once...at least the ticket stub says I did. Don't remember a whole lot about that night. I do vaguely remember the fat girl I was making out with. So does my buddy who likes to remind me of it from time to time, Thank god cell phone cameras didn't exist back then.
    Gittin' there...
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,204
    I saw them in June of 1977 at the Pontiac Silverdome. The Romantics opened, followed by the J Geils Band, then The Steve Miller Band, then Peter Frampton. I might have killed a couple brain cells at that show.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Went to a concert w. him and the band, sometime around '75.  Huge theater, massive party, complete rush to the stage, proto mosh pit.

They all played great. Peter Wolff was a complete hoot. Scraggly guy w. heavy beard, wearing mirror shades and a sequined mini-dress showing his knock kneed hairy legs. (Note: he was married to Faye Dunaway.)

Any rate, J.'s best moment was, I thought, in the middle of a solo. The drummer Steve Bladd, twirled his sticks and tossed one up into the air. It came straight down on J's head. Dropped to one knee, but didn't miss the note, just had to stretch it out a few seconds.

His duet with Magic **** was frantic.

Farewell! As is said, if you can remember, you weren't there. But I still can see moments and recall the sweat and jumping into the air.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    I worked on a construction crew when this band was big, listening to them on a distorted AM radio.  Always thought the Centerfold line was "My lovers fold!", rather than "my blood runs cold!"
    I still think my line was funnier!  :tongue:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure