Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raised Grid = Grill Extender?

Options
dawsonhull
dawsonhull Posts: 105
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey everyone! Newbie question here. When many of you mention a raised grid, is that the same thing as the grill extender? When I google "Big Green Egg Raised Grid" I only get half-moon grids. What is the most common "raised grid" out there?

Thanks!
Dawson

Comments

• calracefan
    calracefan Posts: 606
    Options
    Raised grid is just that, some use bricks or beverage cans to raise the grid to felt line level or above. If you are fortunate enough to have some of the after market accessories they can accomplish this also.
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Don't get the grill extender from BGE. Check out cermaic grill store. They have products that are so much more versatile.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,332
    Options
    calracefan has it-you can buy a cheap weber grid to set on top of the bricks, beverage cans sitting on the main grid (main grid on top of fire ring) if you don't want to just set the supports on the ring.  Some use bolts and washers to make a raised grid as well.  Play around with it and then if you want to spend $$ hit the after-market  options.  And listen to Griffin about not buying the BGE extender-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    In fact, you don't even need the second grid. You can just sit the firebricks, soda cans or whatever on top of the fire ring

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SoCal_Griller
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    calracefan has it-you can buy a cheap weber grid to set on top of the bricks, beverage cans sitting on the main grid (main grid on top of fire ring) if you don't want to just set the supports on the ring.  Some use bolts and washers to make a raised grid as well.  Play around with it and then if you want to spend $$ hit the after-market  options.  And listen to Griffin about not buying the BGE extender-
    +1 on not buying the BGE Grill extender.  I did.  It works, but sorta kinda
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Just for clarification when they say beverage cans... please make sure they are empty. :D
    I have used bricks, take up too much space if cooking 2 levels) bolts (take up less space but not as stable as bricks) and now have an adjustable rig.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    My poor man's version

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

My new adjustable version

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
  • dawsonhull
    dawsonhull Posts: 105
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! This helps a lot. Another question - if you do have two grids, will it mess up the food on the upper grid to cook food on the grid below it simultaneously? I realize this is the function of the grill extender, but didn't know if you were needing to do something "raised grid" - say, chicken breasts, if it would mess up the process to cook food below.
  • bertscampers
    Options
    @JWBurns - quick question, how did you get your fire ring so clean?
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Don't cook anything on the lower grid that can't take whatever drips off the upper grid.  For example, you wouldn't want to cook a pecan pie on the lower grid the same time your cooking meat on the upper grid.  I don't know why anyone would do that though.  Most of all just use your common sense and you should get along fine.  If you have a mis-step here or there, chalk it up to a learning process.  Most of all, just have fun with it!
    Flint, Michigan
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    Mine looks like that afterpizzacooks.
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Options
    Raised grid and a grill extender are two different things.

I have a woo2, which lets me do raised grid, but I need to use my grill extender to add another cooking level.

And, I usually do chicken on the lower level.

• JWBurns
    JWBurns Posts: 344
    Options
    @bertscampers It was after a clean burn.. whitens everything up real nice 
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    This is what I use.  I think it was about $20 in parts.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • jondoe888
    Options
    I found some marble sample pieces that I stack up. Less than 2x3". 3 stacks of 5 pieces on the ring raise it to the rim, for pizza. But I'm sure there are easier solutions - for less than the grill extender, that my wife just bought. For my birthday. (and a chicken rack. Hint, hint?? )
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! This helps a lot. Another question - if you do have two grids, will it mess up the food on the upper grid to cook food on the grid below it simultaneously? I realize this is the function of the grill extender, but didn't know if you were needing to do something "raised grid" - say, chicken breasts, if it would mess up the process to cook food below.
    You can cook food below. I'd rotate the food part way through with the upper grid and lower grid as they are cooking at different temperatures. Or pull off what's cooking below before the top finishes
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    Options
    I have a woo with extender and I like to do meat on the raised grate and veggies/ sides above it on the extended grate