Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Attention diabetic folks....

dougcrann
dougcrann Posts: 1,129
....PLEASE keep an eye on your sugar levels....and if you injure a foot go to the damn doctor. 
Lot to this...spare you folks the details...friends wife is having a toe amputated tomorrow. She sliced it open a short while back. Instead of seeking medical attention they put some Neosporin & a band aid on it...and well....

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Good advice, Doug. I have type 2 diabetes with complications due to neuropathy which brought on a malady called Choate deformity. That means the bones in my feet broke, then collapsed and fused into solid masses. That happened because I had such extensive nerve damage that I didn't know I had that pain. Type 2 diabetes is not a death sentence, but a wake up call to pay better attention to your health or you will suffer and your body will deteroriate. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    RRP said:
    Good advice, Doug. I have type 2 diabetes with complications due to neuropathy which brought on a malady called Choate deformity. That means the bones in my feet broke, then collapsed and fused into solid masses. That happened because I had such extensive nerve damage that I didn't know I had that pain. Type 2 diabetes is not a death sentence, but a wake up call to pay better attention to your health or you will suffer and your body will deteroriate. 
    It is a death sentence when you don't heed the wake up call. Unfortunantely, many don't.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited April 2017
    RRP said:
    It is a death sentence when you don't heed the wake up call. Unfortunantely, many don't.
    I agree wholeheartedly! I saw my Grandmother waste away before losing both legs to amputation, but she died a painful, highly vocal death a year later anyway. Don't poo-poo diabetes nor prostate cancer for that matter. There are less painful and preventable ways to die than both of those. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,869
    Yikes
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Maybe a BBQ forum isn't the best place for folks with the BEETUS. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Had a guy come in an talk to our company about diabetes. Learned a ton and immediately went out and purchased a blood sugar monitor for home use. One of the interesting things was that the optimal time to measure blood sugar is 2 hours after you eat. That is your real blood sugar level. If you are relying on your fasting blood sugar levels taken as part of a physical you are getting a false read and by the time those creep up to a warning level it is probably too late. 

Many of you probably know this but I didn't so this is now part of my home health routine. Also, check out "The Case Against Sugar" by Gary Taubes as a relevant read in this arena. 
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    jonnymack said:
    Had a guy come in an talk to our company about diabetes. Learned a ton and immediately went out and purchased a blood sugar monitor for home use. One of the interesting things was that the optimal time to measure blood sugar is 2 hours after you eat. That is your real blood sugar level. If you are relying on your fasting blood sugar levels taken as part of a physical you are getting a false read and by the time those creep up to a warning level it is probably too late. 

Many of you probably know this but I didn't so this is now part of my home health routine. Also, check out "The Case Against Sugar" by Gary Taubes as a relevant read in this arena. 
    Even better than OGTT is getting a Glycolated Hemoglobin checked. That let's you know what your blood sugar has been doing over the past 3 months or so.
  • Eggscuses
    Eggscuses Posts: 399
    Found out November 11th last year. Went into the hospital 800 sugar level.  A1C 16, vision almost as bad as the 3 blind mice. Lost 50 lbs from end of Sept till then. 
    But I'm much better now.. Last checked A1C 6.5 , no damage to the eyes, vision has returned. 
    Haven't had a  coca cola or any soda since then and beer I've had maybe 8. And I like beer alot.
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Eggscuses said:
    Found out November 11th last year. Went into the hospital 800 sugar level.  A1C 16, vision almost as bad as the 3 blind mice. Lost 50 lbs from end of Sept till then. 
    But I'm much better now.. Last checked A1C 6.5 , no damage to the eyes, vision has returned. 
    Haven't had a  coca cola or any soda since then and beer I've had maybe 8. And I like beer alot.
    Glad to see you have things under control. 

• steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    I've been meaning to ask this and this is as good a thread as any on this forum.... anyone do the keto diet?  Pros/cons/warnings?  Success with being an egger?
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Just got my numbers back from doctor lab,  blood sugar is perfect, dont recall the number.   bad cholesterol is 141.  Just started pravastatin?   I thi k thats what it is

Looks like ill be cooking more fish and veggies on the big green egg...
  • ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    edited April 2017
    Why not? I think the Egghead forum is a great place to talk about healthy eating. I cook vegetables on my egg all the time. Brisket isn't bad for you, it's carbohydrates and sugar that set off diabetes. Of course too much of anything including barbecue isn't good for you.

Paleo, ketogenic, south beach, atkins, low carb, even vegetarian can all fit cooking on the egg. 

"Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627

Even better than OGTT is getting a Glycolated Hemoglobin checked. That let's you know what your blood sugar has been doing over the past 3 months or so.
    I'll check it out as I accept all helpful tips. Thanks!
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• steel_egg said:
    I've been meaning to ask this and this is as good a thread as any on this forum.... anyone do the keto diet?  Pros/cons/warnings?  Success with being an egger?
    I'm doing the low carb thing, not keto exactly.  The only thing about Egging I've found is watching the rubs you use.  Not everything is great with just salt & pepper and most of my favorite commercial & homemade rubs have lots of brown sugar.
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • chadpsualum
    chadpsualum Posts: 409
    jonnymack said:

Did they say why Drs usually check fasting sugar on normal screens?  I would have thought fasting sugar gives you an indication of how well your body's insulin is regulating your sugar (after giving it time to process).
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    I've followed a LCHF (Low Carb, High Fat) diet for years, since shortly before getting my BGE. Nothing but good to say about it.

I started it when my fasting blood sugar number started edging into the pre-diabetic range. Lost a lot of weight and have kept it off. My blood sugar has been low and good. My "good" cholesterol (HDL) has been high and triglycerides have been low. Total cholesterol is high (runs in the family), but I don't care about that because of the high HDL and low trigs.

The majority of what we eat comes off the Egg, and I credit that with a big portion of my current good health. I'm firmly convinced that (at least for me) a healthy diet is low carb, high fat, moderate protein. Works great for my wife, too.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    ibanda said:
    Why not? I think the Egghead forum is a great place to talk about healthy eating. I cook vegetables on my egg all the time. Brisket isn't bad for you, it's carbohydrates and sugar that set off diabetes. Of course too much of anything including barbecue isn't good for you.

Paleo, ketogenic, south beach, atkins, low carb, even vegetarian can all fit cooking on the egg. 

I met a chef at a restaurant that only cooks root vegetables on the egg. 
  • steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    OhioEgger said:
    I've followed a LCHF (Low Carb, High Fat) diet for years, since shortly before getting my BGE. Nothing but good to say about it.

I started it when my fasting blood sugar number started edging into the pre-diabetic range. Lost a lot of weight and have kept it off. My blood sugar has been low and good. My "good" cholesterol (HDL) has been high and triglycerides have been low. Total cholesterol is high (runs in the family), but I don't care about that because of the high HDL and low trigs.

The majority of what we eat comes off the Egg, and I credit that with a big portion of my current good health. I'm firmly convinced that (at least for me) a healthy diet is low carb, high fat, moderate protein. Works great for my wife, too.
    I see you have a nice looking brew as your profile pic. How does that work with the LCHF diet?  
    Hoppy beers and pizza have me doubting that diet. 
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 900
    steel_egg said:
    I see you have a nice looking brew as your profile pic. How does that work with the LCHF diet?  
    Hoppy beers and pizza have me doubting that diet. 
    Well, there's no doubt you have to watch the carbs in everything and beer is just one of the gotchas.

But my beer is top quality so I can enjoy having it in moderation and still keep the carbs low.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.