Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New band design for the large BGE

Options

Comments

• SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    I'm willing to pay the $130, my BGE dealer tells me this item doesn't exist.

We have not seen the new bands here on the west coast yet. So actually, they don't exist yet.  They must be on the way.
    In a weird way I kinda like this. In a world where everything is immediate, you can even get prescription glasses in about an hour, this provides some kind of balance. Easy to say since I am not waiting on a band (although it looks like I will need one soon). We are spoiled. I recently saw a movie from the 70's. One cop asks another cop what is the new gadget. He says "this is called a facsimile machine, it is amazing. It can send an entire page of information across the country in 17 minutes."
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    SoCalTim said:

We have not seen the new bands here on the west coast yet. So actually, they don't exist yet.  They must be on the way.
    I actually just now called BGE retail a few minutes ago and they sold me the new style bands - should have them in a week. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    SoCalTim said:

that is what my local dealer told me, he hadn't even heard there was a new design.  get them to reach out to their reps because after my dealer did that, he ordered one for me under warranty and one for himself.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    ... I was informed to today BGE will offer a handle upgrade with the new craddle design as well as the complete new hinge.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• SOUTHERNLINKSBBQ
    Options
    Luckily mine were covered under warranty but after using them quite a bit I do feel they are woth the money. 
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    Gonna call them tomorrow. BGE mothership has given up on answering my emails or returning phone calls.  Per status quo. 

I can say at this point; if someone is thinking of buying BGE because of the warrenty and customer service, don't fool yourself with the random good works that pop up posted. I'd find something you like and a dealer you like, or a good price before you question the added benefits. 

Ive not once. Not a single time had any resolution with BGE directly. Infact in 4.5 years of my own eggs and 15  with a former egg at my parents place, we've never once gotten a call back or response until I did two weeks ago. 

My dealer is large-ish but slow and not usually up on the info. I'm forced to go that route I guess due to BGE giving zero f**ks. 

Ill just order the new hinge thru the dealer and wait 4-5 weeks for it. 
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    FATC1TY said:
    Gonna call them tomorrow. BGE mothership has given up on answering my emails or returning phone calls.  Per status quo. 

I can say at this point; if someone is thinking of buying BGE because of the warrenty and customer service, don't fool yourself with the random good works that pop up posted. I'd find something you like and a dealer you like, or a good price before you question the added benefits. 

Ive not once. Not a single time had any resolution with BGE directly. Infact in 4.5 years of my own eggs and 15  with a former egg at my parents place, we've never once gotten a call back or response until I did two weeks ago. 

My dealer is large-ish but slow and not usually up on the info. I'm forced to go that route I guess due to BGE giving zero f**ks. 

My calls were unreturned also. I finally called and got a hold of Bruce. He took care of business. Pronto. Oh,  don't call the retail part of BGE, click on sales info.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • FATC1TY
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    FATC1TY said:

My calls were unreturned also. I finally called and got a hold of Bruce. He took care of business. Pronto. Oh,  don't call the retail part of BGE, click on sales info.
    I'll try again in the morning maybe. Pretty let down knowing no one will answer on the other end. May as well be china. I live an hour away from the HQ too...
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    This new band is now available to be bought separately for the Large Egg here on the west coast (part#117984) we have a couple coming in next week.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    I finally called and got a hold of Bruce. He took care of business. Pronto. 
    In the few years that I have owned a BGE, I have called the MS twice. Both times I got Bruce. Both times he solved the dilemma on the spot. Whoever he is, he is a class act for sure. They need more employees like him. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• FATC1TY
    Options
    SGH said:
    SoCalTim said:
    In the few years that I have owned a BGE, I have called the MS twice. Both times I got Bruce. Both times he solved the dilemma on the spot. Whoever he is, he is a class act for sure. They need more employees like him. 
    They sure do cause even Bruce won't answer a phone or emails so more than one might boost my luck. 
    -FATC1TY
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    SGH said:
    SoCalTim said:
    Had a really nice conversion with Bruce this morning. Mentioned to him that BGE's main competitor is very innovative, did BGE have anything planned, to push back. He said funny I should ask, that it's very hush hush but they got a couple surprises coming soon. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    SGH said:
    SoCalTim said:
    Bruce is a YES man. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Bruce is THE MAN. I sent him some pictures of the severely warped bands and 1/2 inch underbite. No problem. New bands are on the way. Happy camper here. No more thoughts about KJ or Primo.  =)
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I need to take a look at mine again but I for sure have the under bite. I did spacer attempt but it never held up. I am under 5 years, and now own 3 eggs.....asking for free stuff is annoying but I might give it a shot.

Seattle, WA
  • TN_Sister_State
    Options
    Welp, its a no for me right now. Attempting their suggestions this weekend and will send more pics. 

Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    I just purchased my LBGE about a month ago and after several cooks I noticed a pretty good underbite, I emailed BGE and Bruce immediately got back to me and asked me for some measurements of the dome and lower bowl. After verifying the problem was with the band he quickly Fed Exed me the new one (within a 5 days of the first email to him). Extremely satisfied with their customer service!!!  
    O-Town, FL

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    SkinnyV said:
    I need to take a look at mine again but I for sure have the under bite. I did spacer attempt but it never held up. I am under 5 years, and now own 3 eggs.....asking for free stuff is annoying but I might give it a shot.

No reason to be annoyed. You would be not asking for free stuff. You would be asking for replacement of a faulty part as defined by the manufacturer's warranty.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,898
    Options

Found the part numbers for the new Spring Assisted Bands at the BGE store:

Replacement Hinge, Band & Handle Assembly for all EGG sizes.

XXLarge EGG – 119421

XLarge EGG – 117908

Large EGG – 117984

Medium EGG – 201072

Small or MiniMax EGG – 201003

Mini EGG – 201393

Photos of the box shown here state "For 2008 model or Newer" so I'm not sure if these would work for me since my large is 2005 model. Had the bottom half of the large replaced under warranty but not sure new model would work. Probably time to contact BGE customer service. Am going to do the MiniMax since I got that at the 2015 Sunshine State Eggfest!!

Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    Is the new handle any different?
  • SamIAm2
    Options
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • ewyllins
    ewyllins Posts: 461
    Options
    The handle is the same size as the one that came with the egg, just purchased mine this year.
    O-Town, FL

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    Went and had a talk with my vendor today. He aid to send him pictures and my info so I have done that and he is instigating a warranty replacement for my bands.

Hard to get good pictures of the underbite. Never seems to look as bad in the photo as it does in real life,
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• SamIAm2
    Options
    Spoke to Frank at Wassi's Meat market yesterday and he told me that the new bands are only available for the XL and the Large. The good news for me is that the bands will work with my Frankenstein 2005 Large. The other numbers may be for future releases??
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Options
    How hard is it to replace?
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • SamIAm2
    Options
    Frank told me the old bands took two people to get the alignment right, one to push down the top and the other to tighten two loose nuts on top band. He did the new band by himself and had no trouble aligning and tightening the nuts. No problem passing the dollar bill test either!
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
  • SoCalTim
    Options
    Question for the people who've already received the new band. I see this is being shipped via Fed Ex, the last thing delivered to me via Fed Ex needed a signature by a person who actually lived in my home or they won't leave it.

In my case, I had to go retrieve my package (hassle) at the local Fed Ex place.

I am curious as to your experiences? Tim
  • FaceDance
    FaceDance Posts: 289
    Options
    I was in my local dealer today and they have the new bands & hinge setups for my large.  They are going to come over on Friday and install it.  I would do it myself but when i tried to fixe my underbite, i just made it much worse. 
    South Florida - Large BGE (DOB:  12/07/2013)
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    FWIW- Bruce was my go to for my replacement also.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.
  • Bentgrass
    Bentgrass Posts: 443
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    Question for the people who've already received the new band. I see this is being shipped via Fed Ex, the last thing delivered to me via Fed Ex needed a signature by a person who actually lived in my home or they won't leave it.

In my case, I had to go retrieve my package (hassle) at the local Fed Ex place.

I am curious as to your experiences? Tim
    Did not have to sign when mine came.
    1. Bettendorf, Ia with lots of time in Chattanooga, Tn.  LBGE, plate setter, ar, Looft lighter, maverick et-735, Rutland gasket, Smokeware SS cap, Kickash basket, and lots of cast iron.