Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grill light?

bhedges1987
bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
edited March 2017 in EggHead Forum
Any of you have a smokeware grill light and if so, how do you like it and do you have any pictures?

Or any other grill light for that matter that attach to the egg. 

Thanks

Kansas City, Missouri
Large Egg
Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

Comments

• PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    I use a Black diamond "spot" head lamp .... works great.

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• HellrodKC
    HellrodKC Posts: 174
    I use a Black diamond "spot" head lamp .... works great.
    Ditto. No need to spend more money when something I already had would work.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I have one and like it immensely. It is much brighter and better than I thought it would be. I'm not one for wearing a headband or hard hat while chilling on my patio, but to each their own. I will see if I have a picture handy. It attaches where the handle does. You simply take off the handle cap nut and install the bracket, then re-tighten the cap not. Done. I rarely use it in the summer, but its real handy during the winter months with the shortened days.
  • pgprescott
    Here it is on my old L the new ones have a different bracket that only fastens to one side of the handle. The bracket doesn't interfere with the handle at all. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    If you have the older small handle on your egg you can custom fit a Weber light to it. I bought one a few years ago but yet to put it on. This might give me the final push. Thanks for the post

Member Reverend BSB pics:

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • pgprescott
    WeberWho said:
    If you have the older small handle on your egg you can custom fit a Weber light to it. I bought one a few years ago but yet to put it on. This might give me the final push. Thanks for the post

Member Reverend BSB pics:

That's an excellent hack. I think you can still remove those Weber lights like the SW ones too. Not as easy though. You have to take a screw out I believe. I don't leave my light in unless using it.
  • Rte1985
    Rte1985 Posts: 304
    My buddy has one and really likes it. I have a double halogen outdoor like on my house for the back patio. One of the lights is pointed towards the egg so at the flip of the switch... Wallah!
  • bhedges1987
    bhedges1987 Posts: 3,201
    Thanks all! 

I currently have one that straps on my head. A lot of times I forget to bring it out ect and just don't like wearing it.

I think I'll go with the smokeware one. 

Kansas City, Missouri
    Large Egg
    Mini Egg

"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us" - Gandalf

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    I have the smokeware light in my opinion it is not worth it.  it is a glorified holder for a free harbor freight light.  it is ok when the batteries work but I only get one or two cooks out of it before having to replace them. any more I just use my headlamp, when my new band comes in, I will probably take it off.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited March 2017
    Thanks all! 

I currently have one that straps on my head. A lot of times I forget to bring it out ect and just don't like wearing it.

I hear you and that's why I find my light bolted to a hard hat is so comfortable and easy to put on and take off. After all hard hats are made to be worn for 8 hours or more daily by many professionals so they are designed to be comfortable!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    no
    I recently got a 5-LED light that clips onto the brim of a baseball cap. A gift. Not a fan, of caps in general or of this not very bright light. No way would I wear a hard hat. lol

What I've been using for a couple of years is a Surefire flashlight that I just hold in my mouth. Covered the end with a piece of an old bicycle inner tube so I don't chip a tooth. Far brighter than the cap thing. Works fine for me. Waterproof too.

Kent8621 said:
    I have the smokeware light in my opinion it is not worth it.  it is a glorified holder for a free harbor freight light.  it is ok when the batteries work but I only get one or two cooks out of it before having to replace them. any more I just use my headlamp, when my new band comes in, I will probably take it off.
    Yeah, I bought one of the harbor freight lights. Wasn't free, but was only a buck or 2. No bracket to attach it to the egg and I never bothered to try to fabricate one because it's just not all that bright.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    I got one from Brookstone for Christmas a couple years ago. Didn't use it until I got an egg. Fits the handle fine and in my opinion only interferes a little bit. Best part is that it automatically powers down after 6 minutes. It also rotates so you can change the angle.  Been using it for 6 months regularly and it is as bright as ever. Not 100% I would replace it should it go bad, but I do like having it. 

Handle-Mount Grill Light
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    I got the Smokeware light and only used it once, but it did the trick. I like the fact that it can be stored indoors and attaches very easily. It lit the grate up perfectly on my XL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I don't like hats, hard or otherwise. Or crotchless leather wear for that matter. :rofl:

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited March 2017
    I don't like hats, hard or otherwise. Or crotchless leather wear for that matter. :rofl:

Between deep throating an inner tube coated flashlight, or hardhat, I think I'm gonna have to take the hard hat here. LMFAO

I've got the Weber Q light on my small, works great, turns on/off auto when the dome is open/closed.

My headlamps are awesome, and my favorite option.  
    Have a couple around that get used for hunting, camping, fishing, working on projects around the house.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    I have the smokeware one but it did get ruined during an overnight rain.  It's not waterproof so you have to take it off and on each time. 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • BBQBuddy
    BBQBuddy Posts: 275

I just stand it up on the table.  Works great.
    From Amazon.
    2 Large BGE, MiniMax, Miami, FL

• pgprescott
    GoooDawgs said:
    I have the smokeware one but it did get ruined during an overnight rain.  It's not waterproof so you have to take it off and on each time. 
    you can go t any big box store and buy a replacement light for a couple bucks. its the bracket that is important.
  • Focker

Would love to see a pic of you, doin work, with your flashlight. Lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• Focker
    edited March 2017
    BBQBuddy said:

I just stand it up on the table.  Works great.
    From Amazon.
    I've used that successfully too when my egg had a table, but the dozen batteries required to use, got old, real quick.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities

• GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    GoooDawgs said:
    you can go t any big box store and buy a replacement light for a couple bucks. its the bracket that is important.
    Would you get something like this? http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-Small-Magnetic-LED-Work-Light-HWLSM/206031059?MERCH=REC-_-rv_search_plp_rr-_-NA-_-206031059-_-N 

Any brand/type you recommend that would fit? 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    I've got one of these on my gasser:
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B017Y4GM3S/ref=mp_s_a_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1490731871&sr=8-8&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=grill+light&dpPl=1&dpID=41Z9bjzoLuL&ref=plSrch

I could move it to the egg the egg if I needed too, and if you have the small handle it might work so well, but I'd rather pay the extra and not have to replace lights all the time.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I think this one replaces the Smokeware light. Not sure. $3.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/27-led-portable-worklight-flashlight-67227.html

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pgprescott

That works too. There are several brands of them out there. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited March 2017

Yep, have a couple in the drawer as backups.  Mine came free with a Sunday paper coupon ... just keep watching the sales coupons.  Batteries last a long time on both the OEM and the imports.

I have one complaint with the bracket that no one else has mentioned.  When the light is removed (98% of the time it's removed) and it rains, water collects in the top and bottom bend on the bracket.  If you don't wipe it off, when you open the lid it'll run off right smack dab in the middle of the protein.  I'm going to fix mine by moving to Arizona where it doesn't rain ... your corrective action might be a little cheaper!

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• pgprescott

Yep, have a couple in the drawer as backups.  Mine came free with a Sunday paper coupon ... just keep watching the sales coupons.  Batteries last a long time on both the OEM and the imports.

I have one complaint with the bracket that no one else has mentioned.  When the light is removed (98% of the time it's removed) and it rains, water collects in the top and bottom bend on the bracket.  If you don't wipe it off, when you open the lid it'll run off right smack dab in the middle of the protein.  I'm going to fix mine by moving to Arizona where it doesn't rain ... your corrective action might be a little cheaper!
    I haven't done it yet, but I might drill a hole in the bracket to drain the water. You are spot on about this. I always forget to wipe it off.  Lol
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    GoooDawgs said:
    Harbor freight has free coupons for them pretty often