Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

KICKSTARTER Bulat Knives

2»

Comments

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2016
    I find the high carbon steel knives easy to sharpen, esp compared to the VG10, AUS8, etc alloys.
    Mine get regular use.  The workload is spread due to my problem.  I break down chickens with the carver regularly.  I sharpen them all annually.  If I only had one, then it would be semi-annual.

A good end grain board and honer, along with proper use, will carry your knife far.  Many sharpening system options these days that take out the guesswork, make it rather simple.  The easier to sharpen argument, is weak at best.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have a slow speed wet wheel 100/200 grit German thing (Tormak clone) with stopping wheel... and an Apex Pro system.  My problem is I'm too busy/lazy enough to sharpen frequently enough.
    edited July 2016
    I have a slow speed wet wheel 100/200 grit German thing (Tormak clone) with stopping wheel... and an Apex Pro system.  My problem is I'm too busy/lazy enough to sharpen frequently enough.
    I hear ya.  Kind of a full blown project soaking the stones, and moving your way through them, with each knife.  Main reason I sit down and do them all in one sesh.  And hone religiously.  Love my Apex and Naniwa Chosera stones though, one of the better foodie tools I have purchased.  It will put on a wicked edge. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Focker said:
    I hear ya.  Kind of a full blown project soaking the stones, and moving your way through them, with each knife.  Main reason I sit down and do them all in one sesh.  And hone religiously.  Love my Apex and Naniwa Chosera stones though, one of the better foodie tools I have purchased.  It will put on a wicked edge. 
    I mostly use the Sharpton Glass stones on my Apex Pro. No soaking - just splash and go.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    Is this knife better than the rusty spoon I use?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Is this knife better than the rusty spoon I use?
    Intuitively, I would guess yes.  Now if you asked me if it was better than your rusty trombone, I would not know.
    You get what you pay for. There's a reason high end Damascus steel knives are pricey. There's a laborious process that goes along with making that kind of art in a knife. This one seems to have a good solid core but the outside of the knife looks to be like a pretty coating only.  IMHO it would be like arguing that a vinyl laminate is as good as a marble floor or performs the same or has the same longevity.  No thanks I'll pass. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • HondaHawk
    HondaHawk Posts: 98
    edited March 2017
  • HondaHawk
    HondaHawk Posts: 98
    dammit. Can't remember how to post pics in here. Got it yesterday and am pleased. We'll see how well it holds. I'm sure I'll be impressed. It's beautiful. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    HondaHawk said:
    dammit. Can't remember how to post pics in here. Got it yesterday and am pleased. We'll see how well it holds. I'm sure I'll be impressed. It's beautiful. 
    Nice looking knife. Handle looks comfortable.

Let us know how well it cuts.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710

My shun is plenty sharp...

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• bobroo
    bobroo Posts: 143
    Chefs knives are all about balance, so why would anybody buy a knife they can't hold???

Estupido. 
    If it's brown, it's cook'in....If it's black, it's done ---my Grandfather     Medium BGE