Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mediterranean / Greek salad Dressing

Options
I am looking for a recipe for a homemade Greek Salad Dressing. My experience with eating them out, there is quite a variety out there. I would like to start with some of your favorites if you would share. Thanks in advance.
Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    2 parts olive oil
    1 part cider vinegar (or red wine vinegar)

Lots of garlic

Equal parts of (1 teaspoon?):
    Salt
    Black Pepper
    Oregano
    Thyme

A little:
    Marjoram

Add a few teaspoons of the spice mix to the oil/vinegar mixture and add some more until you are happy with how it tastes.

Coming from a Greek guy, White Vinegar or White Wine Vinegar depending on your tastes, some like a little lemon juice as well. Paqman is spot on with the spices.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Thanks gents. Appreciate the insight.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • PatBateman
    Options
    Also, Go Cocks! 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I use this recipe, which is similar to @paqman

2 fresh garlic cloves, minced then crushed
    1⁄4 teaspoon salt 
    1 1⁄2 teaspoons Dijon mustard 
    1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
    2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (not bottled)
    1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
    5 tablespoons red wine vinegar
    1⁄2 teaspoon basil @paqman
    1/4 teaspoon of oregeno

Mix all the ingredients together and whisk until blended. Makes about a cup or so.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    Typical oil to vinegar ratio is 5:1. My base is this using the best oil I can afford at the time, salt & pepper and dijon mustard. Herbs / garlic etc. give variation.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I have no idea if this authentic...but try adding anchovy paste.  I got the idea from a Mellow Mushroom copycat recipe. I asked someone that worked there and they tipped me off that the anchovy paste is what turns their dressing into crack. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,752
    Options
    i like eoin's ratio but would sub out the vinegar with lemon.  i dont eat lettuce either =)  make a tabbouleh salad instead and eat it with a good syrian bread , some labne in there wouldnt hurt. might be todays lunch ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    What pagman said but for a little difference add toasted sesame seeds and sumac. That makes it zaatar.

Steve 

Caledon, ON